• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf Country Club

No harm done. I didn't want to appear "assumptive" and I get where you are coming from. Now to the important stuff, it's the weekend and the weather is supposed to be mighty fine.

Yeah, gotta wait till Sunday or Monday here...been storming today and the course is soaked! :(

Who thinks a disc golf driving range is a good idea...raise your hand.

Me....IF.....someone invents a machine to pick up the discs without damaging them.

Maybe....IF.....you can provide go-carts so I can retrieve my own discs. Go-carts with enclosures so I'm not decapitated by others on the driving range.

If I have to walk after my own.....well, we've got that now anywhere there's an open field.

Wonder what the deposit fee would be on a bucketload of "driving range" Star Wraiths?

Me....IF.....someone invents a machine to pick up the discs without damaging them.

Maybe....IF.....you can provide go-carts so I can retrieve my own discs. Go-carts with enclosures so I'm not decapitated by others on the driving range.

If I have to walk after my own.....well, we've got that now anywhere there's an open field.

Wonder what the deposit fee would be on a bucketload of "driving range" Star Wraiths?

I was actually thinking of it being set up like a ball golf range. You throw discs you "rent" in the pro shop and just leave them there for someone to pickup later. Funny you mentioned the disc picker...I have been racking my brain trying to figure out a way to get em up off the ground and into some kind of container. Anywho, I play better when I get to throw 10 or 20 before the round and thought it would be cool to have. Also would be cool if you were close to the course and didn't have time for a round, but had that urge to chunk a few (I get this bad on rainy days).

Dont think it would work. What are they going to charge you to throw their discs? $ .50-1 a piece so their $7.50-$15 investment is recouped quickly. Are you willing to spend $10-20 to throw 20 discs one time??? I dont think so.

What about theft, If I was a thief I would look for ways to sneak into the range and steal the discs. I am not a theif but if I were!

Throw your own on a range is one thing, but thats what open fields are for. If more than one person were throwing on a range you have to throw at the same time, you also would have to figure out whose discs are whose. And if more than 2 people were throwing, good lcuk figuring it out!

It would however be nice to see some distance markers in an open field though, but I again suppose a field with some cones measured out would accomplish the same thing.

I was actually thinking of it being set up like a ball golf range. You throw discs you "rent" in the pro shop and just leave them there for someone to pickup later. Funny you mentioned the disc picker...I have been racking my brain trying to figure out a way to get em up off the ground and into some kind of container. Anywho, I play better when I get to throw 10 or 20 before the round and thought it would be cool to have. Also would be cool if you were close to the course and didn't have time for a round, but had that urge to chunk a few (I get this bad on rainy days).

Disc picker would be pretty simple. Just need a golf cart with a "cowcatcher" device attached to the front skimming the ground. I bet there are a dozen guys who post here who could weld that up in a couple of hours!

A disc golf driving range akin to what ball golf courses have would never work because unlike a bucket of range balls, there's no way that you could keep a stack of golf discs flying reasonably consistent as the discs would wear down with more and more use. You'd also have to consider cost issues. One 'premium' golf ball retails for less than $2. Most range balls are cheaper than this. Conversely, one 'cheap' golf disc (the kind that would wear down the fastest) retails for about $7. If you went out with a stack of 20 DX/Pro-D discs, you'd still be using over $100 worth of equipment. I'd also figure some people would want to rent a stack of a specific type of disc rather than a mixed stack, so your driving range would need some seriously expensive inventory, even if you stock it with cheap plastic.

Disc picker would be pretty simple. Just need a golf cart with a "cowcatcher" device attached to the front skimming the ground. I bet there are a dozen guys who post here who could weld that up in a couple of hours!

I don't think this would work except on absolutely level ground. 1/2" too low, it digs into the ground. 1/2" too high, goes right over disc. Not to mention possible disc damage.

Not sure how much people really want to throw "rental" discs, anyway. I want to practice with "my" discs, not discs whose aging and changing flight characteristics I'm unfamiliar with.

I wouldn't mind a soft net I could fire away at, working on my form without having to retrieve discs, though.

The net is a great idea. Spring Valley DGC has one of those.

For the purpose of physically warming up/stretching your arm, it doesn't really matter what discs you throw. Just ease your arm into the throwing motion.

Dont think it would work. What are they going to charge you to throw their discs? $ .50-1 a piece so their $7.50-$15 investment is recouped quickly. Are you willing to spend $10-20 to throw 20 discs one time??? I dont think so.

What about theft, If I was a thief I would look for ways to sneak into the range and steal the discs. I am not a theif but if I were!

Throw your own on a range is one thing, but thats what open fields are for. If more than one person were throwing on a range you have to throw at the same time, you also would have to figure out whose discs are whose. And if more than 2 people were throwing, good lcuk figuring it out!

It would however be nice to see some distance markers in an open field though, but I again suppose a field with some cones measured out would accomplish the same thing.

$10-20 is a little high, not even private golf courses charge that to hit a bucket, $10 at the most. I'd pay $5 to go chunk a few though. Like one post said, just to warm up it doesn't really matter. Golf balls on a traditional golf range are not always so hot I assure you. Unless you join a $100K a year club, you're not gonna get a top of the line Titleist Pro V1 to practice with. Also, no trees on a range, would the discs really get that beat up? Going and picking up your own discs kind of negates the reason for having a public range, no? Leave the logistics out of it, how does everyone practice their throws? On the course is NOT the place to work on it, you would benefit more by being able to work on things before the round.

As far as throwing them and then having to pick them up, I don't mind that. I throw at my field, and then as I am walking to pick them up, I think about my throws,and what I can do to make things better. It also is good exercise walking back and forth.

Mu buddy works at Pizza Hut Park in Frisco and we go out there and throw on their immaculate soccer fields. I agree it's good exercise, also great way to work on your chunk.

Man this economy must have everyone in the dumps! This is the coolest idea I have heard in years and all you guys can come up with is negative stuff to try to shoot the idea down. Even if they were just kicking tires, isn't it fun to imagine a place like this? I thought most of the people on here smoke enough pot to at least have some fun with the idea. Go get em tstockt!

i do.

The best way that I have found to practice throwing not on the course, which I do very minimally, is to play catch with a friend. So the best way I would say to have a driving range would be to have an open field where you could throw from two sides and then you could rent a friend to pick up discs and throw them back at you. I would be a rent a friend for someone, just saying.

$10-20 is a little high, not even private golf courses charge that to hit a bucket, $10 at the most. I'd pay $5 to go chunk a few though. Like one post said, just to warm up it doesn't really matter.
If warming up is the point, I'd suggest just taking one's own discs and throwing them into a net would be better. Less walking for the golfer, less space needed at the facility. I do thing an open range to practice driving would have value, but I can't see the whole "bucket of balls" concept being carried over to DG. One important distinction between the two sports is that in DG, the ball and the club aren't separate pieces, but are one and the same. We choose a specific disc in a specific situation for a reason.

Golf balls on a traditional golf range are not always so hot I assure you. Unless you join a $100K a year club, you're not gonna get a top of the line Titleist Pro V1 to practice with. Also, no trees on a range, would the discs really get that beat up?
Of course golf range balls are crappy. They're meant to be 'fire and forget'. To some degree, DG'ers have the same philosophy regarding budget plastic, but cheap plastic will start to wear and collect dirt and moisture, even without tree hits. You could rent out premium plastic that will last longer, but it would cost you twice as much (unless you buy it used), and you'd have to pass that expense onto the users.

Leave the logistics out of it, how does everyone practice their throws? On the course is NOT the place to work on it, you would benefit more by being able to work on things before the round.
I do practice mine either at the course (there's actually a couple of open areas alongside it) when I'm going to do a round after wards, or at a nearby park with some open space if I'm not.

As far as throwing them and then having to pick them up, I don't mind that. I throw at my field, and then as I am walking to pick them up, I think about my throws,and what I can do to make things better. It also is good exercise walking back and forth.
There's an even bigger value in walking out and getting them. Namely the fact that once I've retrieved them, I can throw them back and practice with the wind blowing a different direction. Conversely, every ball golf range I've ever seen is pretty much a one-way street. Wind is a much greater variable in our sport that needs to be taken into consideration, which is why disc selection is important. They really should be likened more to golf clubs than golf balls.

scarp - I disagree with you on this one buddy. I sat here for 30 minutes and came up with a bunch of ways a disc golf driving range could work, for a nominal fee as well. You made some very valid points, but I believe the idea as a whole is sound and would really benefit everyone who used it. It's just like anything "different", at first there is opposition, then people see that it works and jump on board. Thanks for the input!

scarp - I disagree with you on this one buddy. I sat here for 30 minutes and came up with a bunch of ways a disc golf driving range could work, for a nominal fee as well.
If you had a big circle of land say 600' in diameter (that way even the biggest of arms couldn't get across it), and people could stand on any side of it to throw, it could work very well.

I actually like your vision, and don't think I haven't thought up a scenario like this, or that I would perhaps try to put my own plans forward to build it if I ever won the lottery. Although my vision is something more akin to a retreat camp than a country club. Something like the following...

- 3 disc course complex
- ultimate field
- open area that could be used for driving range, temporary ultimate fields, or distance contests
- mountain biking
- paintball & airsoft
- sand volleyball courts
- pro shop for all sports onsite
- small RV park for campers
- permanent bathrooms
- cabins or a small motel like structure for lodging
- big barn with a loft that could be used for equipment storage, tourney central or another lodging option
- mess hall complete with a full kitchen that could be utilized during tournaments
- storm shelters throughout the property. could also be used as maintenance bunkers.

Now I just need about $5 million and 160 acres of hilly, wooded land with ponds on it.
:)

Latest posts