• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf Country Club

If you had a big circle of land say 600' in diameter (that way even the biggest of arms couldn't get across it), and people could stand on any side of it to throw, it could work very well.
For safety reasons it'd have to be bigger than that. 600' diameter only gives you 600' of throwing distance if everyone throws perfectly straight.

Bird's nest in Arvada CO has a driving range. I carry my old DG bag which has 10 Valkyries to it to practice. There are markers every 50 feet from 200 - (I think 450 not my problem). The other thing that is cool about it, is that the last hole finishes on one side of it and the practice basket is on the other side of it. This makes a great safari finishing hole (if no one is using it)!!!!! It is wide enough that you can get a little change in wind, and when there is noone on it people just throw back to the Tee box are!

Just wanted to give everyone a quick update. I talked to Tommy (the guy who started the thread) and he told me "things are moving forward nicely..." I asked him about time line and he said he wasn't sure. Anyways, thought those who are interested in the idea would like to know.

So this is really going down huh? This would be a very large investment... It would take major guts saying "Hey hun, were spending our savings on DG course"

My wife would laugh at me.

I was throwing around ideas with some of my friends the other day, how many people would have any interest in a private club, semi high end, something like 50 dollars a month membership. Snack bar, club tourneys, etc. loosely based on a ball golf country club, but without all the WASP a-holes. Situated within about 30 miles from a major metro area. Maybe this type of place already exists but I am unaware of such a thing. I mainly want to see if this is idea appealing to anyone but me and my buddies. Thanks for any input yall can provide. Happy throwing.

The reason those WASP A-holes have country clubs is they have money, and a country club is a form of marking your status and wealth in addition to being a place to escape to and play golf.

If you're going to make something like this feasible, I think $25 a month is more realistic for most disc golf players. Let's look at what this means in the way of income to capacity. If your course had 18 holes times 4 players per hole, you have a maximum capacity of 72 customers at any one time. Let's assume 60% capacity for 12 hours a day. That's 43.2 players per hour or 518.4 players per day. If your club reached 60% capacity, it would bring in $12960 gross per month. Can you make a profit at that level? Or break even?

Food for thought, Expenses:

* advertising
* bad debts from sales or services (for those using accrual accounting)
* bank fees on business accounts
* car and truck expenses
* commissions and fees
* cost of goods sold
* depreciation
* dues for trade associations and other not-for-profit, business-related organizations
* employee benefits
* gifts to customers, suppliers, etc.
* insurance (casualty and liability)
* interest
* legal and professional services
* meals and entertainment
* office expenses
* pension and profit-sharing plans
* publications
* rent or lease expense
* repairs and maintenance
* services performed by independent contractors
* supplies and materials (not included in cost of goods sold)
* travel expenses
* utilities
* wages of employees

Barriers to success:

Capitalization of the initial enterprise
A deep enough player base within close proximity to the course site. I doubt people will drive 30 minutes to pay to play when a free municipal course of moderate quality is half the distance. This is especially a problem. If a town is big enough to have a large enough player base for your club, it's going to have multiple courses spread around the town. This means people driving past free courses to pay to play at yours. Your course has to be top notch and well maintained. Your facilities will need to be in good repair.

Don't take me wrong, you asked for input. I'm not trying to discourage you at all, just laying it out there for you to absorb. I think a lot of players fantasize about doing exactly what you're talking about, I've certainly given it some thought.

I'd recommend talking to some people who run their own for profit private courses and find out where all the landmines are before you make any moves. You may pursue a multi-use facility to help maximize the profitability of your endeavor. For example, there's a course in Charleston, SC that I understand in addition to being a private disc golf course is also a waterskiiing event venue called Trophy Lakes.

My friends and I have had this discussion as well. But then we remember that we have 2 courses nearly equidistant from our homes, one is free and the other is 1.50 per round or 4.50 for all day. We rarely go pay to play. However, it would be a different story if the course at hand was a top notch one with all the necessary features. From my perspective, the pay-to-play course near me doesn't have anything my free course doesn't too except an extra practice basket, but the free course has an extra 9 holes so theres that. If you can build a venue that provides what free courses can't then people will pay to play there ... maybe.

The idea in the post above me about a multi-use facility seems like possibly your best bet.

The reason those WASP A-holes have country clubs is they have money, and a country club is a form of marking your status and wealth in addition to being a place to escape to and play golf.
Bingo. People need to understand the whole point of a country club is to showcase status, not to give its members a place to hone their golf skills. Precisely why it will likely never take off for disc golf. The nature of our game, and those who play it is much too egalitarian for that.

If you're going to make something like this feasible, I think $25 a month is more realistic for most disc golf players.
I'm thinking "feasible" would be a number like that or slightly higher for ANNUAL access to a municipal pay for play complex, sort of like the one Austin was rumored to be building with stimulus money.

The major sticking point with all of these suggestions is that I don't know of too many people who want to invest that kind of money into having the right to play one course, or even two courses. No matter how challenging these courses would be, members would get bored with them over time and stop renewing their memberships thinking the money saved could be spent on gas money or tournament entry fees to go play elsewhere. The people whom I see invest the most money into disc golf in my experience like to travel around the country. I think a "resort" model would be more successful than a country club one would.

Last edited:
I think a "resort" model would be more successful than a country club one would.

I'd be inclined to agree. I'd even give thought to taking that down a notch, disc golf with multiple levels of accommodation ranging from tent pads to travel trailer pull through locations to cabins to an on site hotel.

Imagine getting up for Worlds and already being on site. Buffet breakfast then out to watch or participate... or is this already being done somewhere?

My friends and I have had this discussion as well. But then we remember that we have 2 courses nearly equidistant from our homes, one is free and the other is 1.50 per round or 4.50 for all day. We rarely go pay to play. However, it would be a different story if the course at hand was a top notch one with all the necessary features. From my perspective, the pay-to-play course near me doesn't have anything my free course doesn't too except an extra practice basket, but the free course has an extra 9 holes so theres that. If you can build a venue that provides what free courses can't then people will pay to play there ... maybe.
I think a major selling point that a pay for play course would need to have is a core of local golfers who are sick and tired of some of the riff-raff problems that plague free courses in their area. Such a facility would need the following...

1. Dedicated space. If non-DG'ers are walking about like they often do in multi-use parks, its not worth paying for.
2. A minimum of 18 holes. Multiple 18 hole courses would be even better. Nobody is going to pay to play a 9 holer no matter how nice it is.
3. A pro/advanced caliber layout (as in 8000'+ feet). This type of golfer is more likely to pay for a round than some rec players who are happy with their 4800' pitch and putt park course.
4. Permanent brick and mortar facilities onsite like a pro shop and restrooms.
5. Good durable signage and benches that are free of graffiti.
6. Regularly performed course maintenance such as mowing, tree trimming, etc.

Agreed that the two aspects of my home free course that would push me to a pay course is that it is often severely over crowded and you have to deal with general park users wandering on to the course mucking things up. (course in reference: http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=131)

Now the pay course (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=130) does have a pro shop ... sorta, its a very small booth and the gas station next to the other course has about as many discs for sale plus drinks and snacks. It does have 18 holes but they are very short, only about 175'ish on average, while they are technical holes they are just by in large shorter than I like. I will say it is extremely well maintained and much less crowded than my free course. Although the free one is very well maintaned thanks by-in-large to the efforts of the local DG club.

I think a major selling point that a pay for play course would need to have is a core of local golfers who are sick and tired of some of the riff-raff problems that plague free courses in their area. Such a facility would need the following...

1. Dedicated space. If non-DG'ers are walking about like they often do in multi-use parks, its not worth paying for.
2. A minimum of 18 holes. Multiple 18 hole courses would be even better. Nobody is going to pay to play a 9 holer no matter how nice it is.
3. A pro/advanced caliber layout (as in 8000'+ feet). This type of golfer is more likely to pay for a round than some rec players who are happy with their 4800' pitch and putt park course.
4. Permanent brick and mortar facilities onsite like a pro shop and restrooms.
5. Good durable signage and benches that are free of graffiti.
6. Regularly performed course maintenance such as mowing, tree trimming, etc.

Hey guys...some quick info to share.

1. The land is private land and wont be used by anyone other than members and daily fee players....and squirrels.
2. 18 to start...3 tee pads, 2 hole placements. Another 18 to be added later, but 3 tee pads and 2 placements equals 6 different ways to play the hole, not boring.
3. Apparently, once the back tees are added it's gonna be plus or minus 9000 feet. This was never intended to be pitch and putt.
4. Check
5.Check
6. Bi weekly mowing, tree trimming as needed.

Sounds like they are going to do a good job with this place. I hope it works out. I may not be around to play it but I hope it works out none the less.

Definitely food for thought. I used to play ball golf a couple times a week until I discovered disc golf. Now my sticks are getting rusty. For me one of disc golf's selling points is "FREE!" Within 100 miles of my home there are over a dozen courses and all are free. From 9 hole city parks with no clear route to championship courses. I never belonged to a ball golf Country Club, but I've played at a several semi-private places.

I'm not opposed to the idea however. Membership in any organization has it's perks or at least it should. With the right organization, design, management, maintenance, and perks I wouldn't mind laying down a couple of bills every year for membership.

Hello everyone, just got done with a brutal 18 at Harry Meyers in 20 mph winds from the back tees. Anyways, I talked to tstockt and I wanted to share some recently learned info on the project. In response to some of the posts here stating - "if I am gonna pay it had better be really nice", after construction is complete, plans are to include planting 80-100 flowering trees around the outskirts of the course to beautify the landscape. Sounded cool to me, I don't think I can look at another cedar (those who play in Rockwall will understand). That's all I could get out of him today, I'll try to get some more nuggets this weekend. Happy chunkin'.

Latest posts