• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf Courses at High Schools

Jaysus

Double Eagle Member
At least 9 Discatchers just popped up at the local high school, which just so happens to be about a mile or so from my house.

Obviously I'd love to have access to a course that close, but I have to imagine that since it is on school grounds, different rules for play apply than at the park courses that I am used to.

Does anyone have experience with high school courses? Are they typically fair game to the public? Weekends and summers only? What about after school hours? Do you think the school would frown upon local residents playing the course?

Also, I'd like to try to talk to someone at the school to see what the plan is for the course - do you think Innova would pass along my contact info to someone at the school?

I'm pretty excited about this - even if it turns out to be a little pitch and put place, it will still be nice to bang some chains that close to home.

Contact the principal or athletic director at the school to answer questions. You could help with the design and up keep of the course if you think you will use it a lot and you want to see a good course. Heck maybe you could even volunteer and coach a club team. Two obvious "no no's" would be bringing alcohol and "wacky tobacky" to the course since it is on school grounds.

Most school courses are closed during school hours.

I don't know about Dg courses but most of the time facilities such as basketball courts or tracks are generally open to the public during non school hours and of course subject to school rules.

I don't know about Dg courses but most of the time facilities such as basketball courts or tracks are generally open to the public during non school hours and of course subject to school rules.

Yeah, that's how things were when I was in school... but that is longer ago than I'd like to admit.
bag.gif

I would say if it is after school, weekends, summer play on. During school hours you should be a little cautious. Good idea to call the school to find out. You could be a new DG leader for the school.

I would find out the policy regarding use of your specific school course. Someone affiliated with the school or your local club ought to know.

That being said, most school courses I've seen are bland pitch and putt ones that tend to get boring very quickly. They're built as "training wheels" courses after all.

There are a couple of courses semi-close to me that are at Elementary Schools. The courses are open as long as it is not during school hours. scarpfish is right, you should find out the policy for this course, I'm sure it varies from place to place.

Congrats on getting a course so close to home! Even if it is pitch and putt, it would be a great place to practice when you don't have time to drive to a course and play a full round.

all of the high schools around my area allow players after 3pm on weekdays and anytime on weekends. obviously no alcohol and no smoking but it is worth it to me.

Houston has a few 9 holers on school grounds.

EDGE is doing their thing... spreading the DGospel.

Another course on school property!! The next Climo might go to that school you are referring to... Who knows.

GREAT WORK! whomever is accomplishing the addition of DG to the school system.

NFLPLAY60?

How about Daily PLAY18DG!

Last edited:
Fun! There is a small nine hole course at a middle school here in town, Sunrise Middle School Course. It's open during all none school hours. However being that it's at a middle school it's pretty simple. Maybe your highschool course will be a bit more challenging. One word of advice, don't through you discs on the roof. Happened to me, they weren't angry but I'm pretty sure they thought I was silly.

UPDATE: Yeah, so turns out it is a 7,000+ foot, 18 hole course.... and it is less than a 5 minute drive from my house!

Awesome!!

Wow...thats longer than most courses here. Jealous for having something so close!!

Latest posts