• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

disc golf critique. what is going wrong?

cornelius

Par Member
hey im just posting these videos in the hope of getting some critique, i can throw a buzz 275 at a standstill but can only throw drivers 340. what is going wrong and what can i improve?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41tLN-vTOcg

Something that I just figured out about my own throw....is that you rotate into the throw, but not so much out of it. I don't think your shoulders are staying stationary long enough, and the disc isn't getting far enough to the forward side of your body before they start moving again.

Yeah, you're jamming your hips a bit. The power band (the hit) is supposed to coincide with the hip explosion. You're just kinda wallowing through with your body.

Concentrate on getting into the pec position with the elbow out before you accelerate hard.

cornelius said:
so how do I fix that?

To begin, when your plant foot goes down, I see your toes (on your plant foot) actually pointed backward away from the target. This is extremely awkward, to say the least. Try coming down with your plant foot toes pointed more like 90 degrees from the target. Also, make sure you keep your plant foot a bit further left and don't get your plant leg in the way of the forward motion. This should help take care of jamming the hips.

Also, you're pulling too hard going into the hit, and trying to muscle it through. This is messing up your timing and you aren't getting a good rip. Don't use force. Try instead to get a rhythm and timing so that you really feel the disc fling hard off your rip point.

it seems mine did also. and jhern, how do you prevent your plant leg from getting in the way of your forward motion?

There's nothing wrong with planting toes 180 away from the target like 360 also it adds D. You want to clear the hip. Matching plant placement and run up direction helps there but you already matched those for annies.

ok, so to clear the hips i should...plant my plant leg more in line with the drive?

Get your legs and lower body more into it.

To do this, try and snap a towel (ala the Feldberg Towel Tip) using your throwing motion. It will force you to get your hips into it. Once I was able to translate that into my throws, I went from 375' to 520' almost immediately. It really does work.

i have done the towel trick a lot and able to generate a loud snapping noise but that has not translated as much as i would have thought it did

It took me several months before I fully translated it to my throws. Once you do, you'll know it. Trust me, it works. Those that say it doesn't haven't made it work in their form yet.

is there anything specific you did to help translate the towel drill into your normal throws

cornelius said:
is there anything specific you did to help translate the towel drill into your normal throws
Practicing. A LOT. :lol:

No seriously, just trying to do EXACTLY the same thing. Same reach back, same relaxation, etc.

Most here will say you'll know it because you'll "feel" it. That's sooooo true. I felt it when I finally "hit" it. I threw it, looked up and thought, "Holy schniekes, that's gone!" It's all about relaxation, the order of "uncurling" and reaching back as far as you can.

Feel free to ask any questions you want. I'll try and answer if I can.

Daniel

Yeah, practice practice practice. Throwing long courses helps too, because it'll force you to add distance.

I also committed to the right pec drill and philosophy a while back, and my accurate golf distance is now around 375'...still improving fast (I can feel the potential for a lot more to come). The increase in accuracy at 350' is really stunning for me, and is one of the most important things I've gleaned from the right pec drill...part of this is that I'm not using much effort to make the throw, I've stopped trying to muscle the disc along, and it makes an enormous difference. I previously (like 6 months ago) used to be able to reach 300'+ distances, but often with a ton of scatter (large error ellipse). Now I'm usually in scoring position on almost every hole I play at courses with holes in the 300'-400' range. I'm also driving an awful lot with my putter (Pro Challenger), and I only pick up my high speed drivers for shots in the 350'+ range. If I can improve my putting some more, I'll be a relatively competitive player by California standards.

yeah so I feel like I am getting the snap necessary but something seems to impede reaching 400' and over. Is there a specific drill I can do to get the hips more into the throw and transfer more power from my lower body?

Try not to lose balance doing this. Don't pick up a disc in your hand and put them behind your back. Do your normal run up and x step and try to maximize how fast you twist the hips around. Then do it faster and faster if you can. You should notice the advantage to keeping the torso muscles as loose as possible for faster rotation. But here's a sure fire tip: Don't throw on a slope when practicing. Level ground minimizes the risk of falling down and losing balance.

Latest posts