• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc golf game with beginners

jansmiller14

Hey everyone,

I was asked to organize a disc golf activity with my cross country team. We have a really easy 9-hole par 3 course close by. I am wondering if anyone has any ideas of formats to play with new players. I'd like to participate too, but I'm significantly better than everyone else. Nobody else has really played before. Are there any fair games to play with everyone? We'll have somewhere between 10 and 20 people playing.

Depends on how much of an event you want it to be.
If you want to just play a round, do putter only doubles.
If you have a field and a basket available, you could put together some "Events" like long drive, CTP, Putting challenge.

If the team is already close-knit, doubles would probably work so that different friends can stick together. If it is a completely new team, doing skills tests will allow more interaction.

Draw doubles or ace race could work well.

I used to run a couple of ace race format events per year and a couple of times they were won by very new players. 3 points per ace, 1 for metal hit if no one has any luck CTP throw off to finish.

I would often play, but defer to others if I won.

I have done this a few times with work groups from my wife's and my work. I supplied some lower speed understable discs. Spent a few minutes at the beginning, giving a presentation on the game, the rules and the basics of a throw. We played simple singles. Most were unathletic noobs. They struggled and had a blast. I am not sure i even remember who won. I started with the first group and did some teaching for a couple holes and dropped back to the next group to do the same for a couple holes. Really impressing the concept of it was a fun walk outside. Many in the groups still talk about the outing and a few have picked up the game.

Latest posts