• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

disc golf in a cave/former mine?!?!

I know know where I would like to play my 1000th disc golf course.

Ironically I started playing (DG) object golf with my blue frisbee when I lived on a farm not to far away from Crystal Springs in Catawissa, Mo. way back in 1968 after I got all my chores done I would throw at different object around the farm.

And how cool would it be to come full circle and play in the caves of Jefferson county Missouri.

Thank you for sharing, you've made my day.

We have something around 60+ miles of mined salt caverns about 650 feet beneath my home town. A lot of film, TV and other Hollywood memorabilia is kept down there.

salt-mine.jpg

Oh, if I could borrow a couple miles of tunnels for a weekend.

Is the ground sand?

A cave has 100% humidity, the ground is always wet but not muddy. The caves I've been in it's more like packed wet clay but not that hard.

btw, make sure to take extra towels when playing in a cave, bat droppings WILL get on your disc. :D

I played the course last night- a big (probably 40+) group of us went over after an Ice Bowl we held nearby.

It is unlike anything I've ever seen or done, and it was definitely a "kid in a candy store" type experience...come to the St. Louis Disc Golf Club's March C Tiers, or the St. Louis Open in May and you will have a chance to check it out if you're not 'local'.

I'll put a link to some more pics & vids from the mine later today....

Wow, this spread quickly! It has indeed been the coolest DG experience.
Your discs fly far and true with the lack of wind, thin air and added humidity, but there is very little in the way of actual moisture (except in the areas where they have dug channels that drain towards the underground lake). The ground is a mix of fine sands and the walls and ceilings aren't all that rough, but they are harder than trees.
No, you can't smoke: inadequate ventilation and local laws which prohibit smoking inside public facilities. You can always take a 7 minute walk and go outside to smoke, lot's of people did.

I'll keep the course updated as changes are made.