• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf in NW Indiana

MayorBee

Hey, I've been playing for a couple years, not too good, but not terrible I think. Anyway, I recently moved to Indiana from Iowa and can't seem to find courses I really like. I've noticed that you have to pay to play on almost every course here.. is that typical? I never paid to play in Iowa/Illinois.

Any suggestions/thoughts would be much appreciated.

Also, I've noticed that this site lists a course in Rensselaer, IN... is that course still running? I drove out to where I thought it was when I first moved here, but it almost looked abandoned.

Camp Cullom is a great course. I live in West Lafayette so I play at Murdock Park a lot. For the most part I stick to these two but every once and a while drive up to Lemon Lake which is pay to play but I find it to be worth it.

From Rensselaer, apart from the course that may or may not still exist locally (last review June 2010), it looks like you'll be driving north or south.

I'm only familiar with the north, specifically with Lemon Lake (notable for its breadth; four courses, hosting Pro Worlds again this summer), Hidden Lake, Rogers Lakewood (notable for its quality), perhaps Purdue Calumet, perhaps Hawthorne Park.

The last two are always free (the first, Purdue Calumet, a nice almost ball golf style course, but disc golf length at most; the second, Hawthorne Park, a pretty short park course).

But, I think most of the rest are free in the off-season. Rogers Lakewood definitely is (pay only Memorial Day to Labor Day). And, if memory serves, Hidden Lake and Lemon Lake also only charge in season.

Maybe Lemon Lake is the only place where you specifically pay to play disc golf. But, yes, Rogers Lakewood and Hidden Lake happen to be in parks where you pay to enter during the high season. (You can always walk or bike in free at Rogers; maybe some of the others too. Or, Rogers has reasonably priced season passes. So, there are some options if you're averse to a daily fee.)

I don't think you are terrible far from brookston Indiana. There is an awesome course there called valley view. It's a private course on a guy named Tom woods property. You have to call him to let him know ur coming but its free. I personally think its the best course in Indiana (yes I've been to lemon lake). It's worth playing although it is very challenging. Also watch out for the cow pies there.. They are everywhere

The courses at Lemon Lake and Rogers Lakewood are very good; a season pass would be worth it if you were going to play them a lot. Or, if you get to either coursebefore the person working the entrance booth, you don't have to pay.

As for Alwoods, the owner's phone number is on the course page, you can call to see what's up with the course availability.

Another vote for LL and RLW. Also, Purdue North Central in Westville has a solid if not spectacular 18 holer. Hidden Lake is okay, but you might as well drive the extra five minutes to LL.

Allwoods I haven't been to yet but I've heard decent things about.

Also, the Tom Woods thing should prove cool. I haven't gotten there yet either (despite a personal invite from Tom :eek:) but I've heard very good things from friends. :thmbup:

If you want to meet up sometime and see the lay of the land, shoot me a pm!

Too late for an edit. So I'll add: France Park, while not necessarily a challenging course, is a very well-designed and FUN course with a decent mix of variety. It's not terribly far from Rensselaer.

Golf in Indiana

Let me add that there are several courses in and around Miami county that may be worth your time. Maconaquah Park in Peru is a pretty challenging course (with all new Arachnid baskets I might add) and free so that is always a plus. Even though it is not open yet, Pieradise is also a great course just outside Peru that is by far my favorite course that is also home to the indiana disc golf.hall of.fame. I guess we are spoiled around here with courses because we have 5 of them in miami county alone and they are all great and distinct in their own ways
-Bradley

I just got done playing pieradise today I love the course. My uncle helped Alan build it. Get ahold of me sometime Bradley get some dg goin on.