• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf in Other Sports

fritothedog

* Ace Member *
I was wondering what other sports you play that have helped you in Disc Golf or vice versa.

I have been playing racquetball lately and I thought I would try something. My friend hit a rather slow ball so as I waited for it to come to me I adjusted my stance to that of a stand still drive. I timed the reach back and pull through just right to hit the ball as hard as I ever have. I have attempted several more times to do this and it feels good to land the hit just right. I have also found that I am a little wild. When I try too hard I tend to hit the ball higher. It makes me wonder if I can correlate the angle the ball comes off the racquet to nose angle of a disc.

Similarly I was bowling a while back and I felt a lot of correlations between releasing the ball and putting with a disc.

I have heard of other sports helping with disc golf as well. I remember reading once that Tae Kwon Do can help with balance. Baseball can help with overhand throws. And, more recently, I played with a guy that was making turbo putts from 60+ feet regularly and he said it was similar to throwing a softball.

What other sports have helped your disc golf game or what other sports do you play that disc golf mechanics have helped you?

I think the concentration and focus of hitting a spot with a dart has been incorporated into my putting. Tons of other sports make use of the weight transfer necessary to generate power.

I used to be an outfielder in baseball and a quarterback in football. IMO I would say I'm better than average at tomahawking a disc. If not particularly for distance then for accuracy.

Learning how to break down the mechanics of a baseball swing also helps me keep my throw in check in terms to weight shifts and rotation. My hitting coach used to make us swing (one handed and two) using both no legs and using legs so that we would be mentally aware of what each piece of our bodies did in the swing. This helped with the swing as a whole and I still make sure to focus on each little detail like that every time I play.

Seems to help a little.

Swinging a baseball bat like a Lefty would is how I started to learn the weight transfer on my rhbh drives. Same with throwing a punch :)

Swinging a baseball bat like a Lefty would is how I started to learn the weight transfer on my rhbh drives. Same with throwing a punch :)

I say this all the time to my RH friends. Throwing LHBH is the same motion as batting righty. It seems like folks should be able to at least get some of the motion down pretty quickly.

To the OP.... Bowling. Lots of sports have the concept of the "hit" where you have to get the motion lined up with the weight shift. Thinking in general terms has helped my bowling approach and my DG drives.

Playing baseball all my life as a right hander batting lefty. My line drive swing is the same motion as my RHBH drives.

To the OP.... Bowling. Lots of sports have the concept of the "hit" where you have to get the motion lined up with the weight shift. Thinking in general terms has helped my bowling approach and my DG drives.

I was surprised by the correlations when I bowled last (I don't do it often). I was bowling better than I expected and I think it had to do with the work I had put in on putting recently. I don't spin the bowling ball so my bowling release mimicked my putt quite a bit. It was just off to the side instead of from the gut.

I didn't think too much about weight shift, but that may come into play more for those who can spin the ball.

I think anything that requires good hand-eye coordination would be beneficial for playing disc golf.