• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf in the News

I will say there are a lot less crayfish in the streams in my neighborhood than when I grew up.

I will say there are a lot less crayfish in the streams in my neighborhood than when I grew up.

There used to be lots of creeks around here that held pools year round that you could get nice creek chubs out of for catfishing but a lot of them have dried up at one point or another over the last 10yrs and they died off...

Hmmm... I wonder how that could happen.:\

I didn't read the whole article but, it seems to me that East Bay Disc Golf Club didn't do a good job selling the course, and dispelling myths.

Given the objections raised, they should have been more involved and explained to decision makers how a course can be responsibly installed, with minimal impact to the environment.

If the right efforts are made up front, ongoing impact of play (erosion, soil compaction, etc) can be successfully minimized.

Weird about the crayfish. One of my local courses (Iroquois) has always had some areas off-limits to basket placements due to crayfish habitats. Always thought that was strange until I realized what they built/lived in. Now I definitely understand how their little mounds can get trampled from foot traffic.

While a creek I live near when I was young that had lots of crayfish is near a DG course, I think I'm going to attribute their disappearance to the gazillion townhomes and McMansions they build in the area during the late 80s and early 90s

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/outdoors/story/2021-05-07/disc-golf-growth-pandemic

A new spin on an old sport: Disc golf soars during the pandemic

LOL...

As an organized sport, it dates to the mid-1970s. The first official course was built in 1975 in Pasadena's Oak Grove Park, which set a precedent: The lion's share of those erected since are in public parks, like Escondido's Kit Carson or Vista's Brengle Terrace. Others have gone in on college campuses (Cal State San Marcos) or alongside ball golf courses, such as at Goat Hill Park, site of this weekend's tournament, or at Reidy Creek in Escondido.
:D

I remember a forum dude who came to the Columbus meet back when that happened about 10 years ago who came from ball golf and ALWAYS got pissed when ball golf was called ball golf.

IT'S GOLF, damnit! *snicker*

I forget the screen name.

I remember a forum dude who came to the Columbus meet back when that happened about 10 years ago who came from ball golf and ALWAYS got pissed when ball golf was called ball golf.

I've seen people on here go off about it many times. I've been using stick golf more recently.:D

Still have that Vulcan?

I don't remember him...but I remember that Champ Glow Groove!

You have to bring out the big guns and call it Bolf.

I have zero problem with calling it ball golf or bolf and I came from a high level of ball golf.

Latest posts