• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf in the News

Thanks for posting. I have mixed emotions.

I don't want to say he had it coming, but my dark side says he was warned several times, and should have known that if he kept going after discs, it was simply a matter of time before he'd be feeding a gator up close and personal.

But part of me feels for anyone who's indigent. They often feel forced to do things they otherwise wouldn't, often engaging in questionable and/or risky behavior, just to scrape enough together so they can eat.

Let's hope no one else takes his place.

Last edited:
So the Cumberland Times News has been posting some updates on league play this year. And they ran the syndicated article about the alligator incident. But the rubber finally met the road, or the plastic finally hit the chains. Matt from the CTN came out Thursday night and met with several of us at the Central Assembly of God DGC during Western Maryland Disc Golf's Thursday night tags. Here we go.

picture.php

Full, easy to read version of the article below.
https://times-news-cnhi.newsmemory....ztdeQdOTBIRPCy9A_SyozGB3C7gTLzR9feq7WK91AnKN4

Another Possible Course

Well, the article about local dg ran in the paper on Saturday. It's now Monday and this morning I already got a message from a local business that may be interested in installing course on their property. I called them and we're meeting tomorrow to discuss their concept. Absolutely nothing may come of this, it the fact that there's interest is pretty cool.

And our league director, BJ (beej on here), got a call from a gentleman who is interested in learning about the sport. BJ is meeting him on Wednesday.

That is extremely cool, JimB. Nice write-up and photos. Hat's off to you for your efforts, and I know it's only the beginning of what should be some very excellent adventures going forward.

Well done!

Thanks for sharing. Looks like the event was a smashing success all around.

A couple of things I took away:
At this point though, Finland now has more disc golf courses than traditional golf courses.

Another American player, Kat Mertsch from the US state of Arkansas, told Yle that this was her first time visiting Finland, but she already loved the country's enthusiasm for disc golf.

"It's not like this back in the States, it's more seen as a sport here. Americans are like, 'Frisbee, we're gonna go throw the frisbee around the park!'" she said gleefully.

"While here [in Finland] it's like, 'We are going to compete in disc golf,'" she said, in a more stoic voice.

Mertsch added that Finland's appreciation of disc golf is what the sport needs.

"They are really into it. It's good to see. It's good for the growth of the sport," Mertsch enthused.

Nice to see it being taken seriously there. Simon's observations about seeing so many young kids on the courses in Finland... bodes well for the sports growth there.

Last edited:
Dela DG course is in the Delaveaga park

Judging by the description it sounds in like the fire was at the opposite side of the park tho

Last edited:
Dela DG course is in the Delaveaga park

Judging by the description it sounds in like the fire was at the opposite side of the park tho

DeLa is a beautiful park. A showcase for the area's best flora and fauna. A fire there evoke great sadness for nature lovers. I hope the DG course is OK, but my concern for the entire ecosystem and outdoor opportunities is greater. Fire is part of natures plan, but we are responsible for far too many of them. :(