• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf in the News

hah

In all seriousness, race car drivers really do have to be physically fit to do what they do effectively. Poker and pool? Not so much.

That's not quite true. Most top athletes in any field usually have to have a high level of conditioning to compete at the highest levels. Look into the rigors of being a chess champion, for example.

Top billiards players like O'Sullivan train through running, etc.

That's not quite true. Most top athletes in any field usually have to have a high level of conditioning to compete at the highest levels. Look into the rigors of being a chess champion, for example.

Top billiards players like O'Sullivan train through running, etc.

Ehhh I disagree. I think in a lot types of racing if you're not physically fit you'll pass out at some point from the heat and g forces. Whereas the other sports you just won't play as well I guess. There's the difference IMHO.

I think drag racing though might be an exception. Even at the highest levels of NHRA I believe its mostly about reaction time and the ability to control the car for a few seconds. Some of those drivers are not exactly fine examples of fitness. I mean, have you seen John Force lately? Dude is 70+ and still competing for championships.

Ehhh I disagree. I think in a lot types of racing if you're not physically fit you'll pass out at some point from the heat and g forces. Whereas the other sports you just won't play as well I guess. There's the difference IMHO.

I think drag racing though might be an exception. Even at the highest levels of NHRA I believe its mostly about reaction time and the ability to control the car for a few seconds. Some of those drivers are not exactly fine examples of fitness. I mean, have you seen John Force lately? Dude is 70+ and still competing for championships.

"...mostly about reaction time and the ability to control the [equipment]" would describe a lot of sports.

Anyone who has ever actually raced cars on a real track has no doubt it is an athletic endeavor. We're talking about hundreds of fast, accurate, large-muscle movements per minute. All with the core maxed out to resist g-forces. Add the part where they select a winner and it's a sport.

I used to think ball golf was boring and not that fun, then after playing disc golf for the past 18 or so years and understanding how that game is played and the strategy and mechanics behind it and just beijg outside with friends I've grown to really like ball golf and find that it's incredibly fun actually. Expensive, you bet. But alot of fun.

:hfive: for anything that brings someone joy.

My biggest ding against ball golf is simply lack of terrain variety. You see landscapes in the backdrop but are still playing grassy fairways. I'm watching the Lake County tournament that McBeth showed up in and am kinda blown away at the course, trees making low ceiling throughout.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQnzZG6KXyM

I grew up with a forest in my back yard, so I appreciate DG course in any terrain or weather especially with trees. BG seems much more limited that way. Hoping to go to California and play amongst Redwoods one day.:clap::clap::clap:

Merry Christmas Friends!

:hfive: for anything that brings someone joy.

My biggest ding against ball golf is simply lack of terrain variety. You see landscapes in the backdrop but are still playing grassy fairways.

Totally agree with both of those.

And may all your families have a happy, healthy, holiday season!!!

"...mostly about reaction time and the ability to control the [equipment]" would describe a lot of sports.

Anyone who has ever actually raced cars on a real track has no doubt it is an athletic endeavor. We're talking about hundreds of fast, accurate, large-muscle movements per minute. All with the core maxed out to resist g-forces. Add the part where they select a winner and it's a sport.

Selecting a winner sounds more like figure skating or gymnastics, selected completely by judges.
Racing, DG and other sports are decided by a score or time, decided, not selected. (Yes, I know the referees, officials, etc. in most sports make decisions that affect the outcomes, but they are not decided solely by judges.)

Let me throw this out there. Pool (billiards) & darts involve physical movement to achieve an outcome (to win). And in an English pub, usually a pint is involved as well.

So if golf, pool, darts, race car driving are not sports, then what are they? Games?

Let me throw this out there. Pool (billiards) & darts involve physical movement to achieve an outcome (to win). And in an English pub, usually a pint is involved as well.

So if golf, pool, darts, race car driving are not sports, then what are they? Games?

The dig I've always heard on golf etc in general is...

If you can drink beer while playing it, it's not really a sport. Just a competitive game.

The dig I've always heard on golf etc in general is...

If you can drink beer while playing it, it's not really a sport. Just a competitive game.

Ha. I've never been super competitive so "sports" that allow me to drink during play have always appealed to me.

Yep, this guy looks serious. Honestly tho, if you saw this guy out at local dubs you wouldn't think twice that he was a discer. Add a bluetooth speaker playing classic rock and it's 1/2 the guys in Texas.

John-daly.jpg
I wouldn't think twice if I saw someone dressed like or acting like you described at a local traditional golf league either. I grew up smack in between two golf courses and I can tell you that I haven't seen a tremendous difference between the folk that go to public golf courses and disc golfers.

Most would not call Babe Ruth any model of fitness, but how fit someone is probably doesn't define if something IS a sport. It may define how good someone is AT that sport though.

Almost anyone can shoot a rifle at a target. Takes little athletic ability. Now, do it after cross country skiing for awhile (biathlon) and your heart rate is 85% max. Is one a sport and the other not? I've never really thought about what defines a sport, so I am throwing this out there as an example mostly.

I feel the 'sport' aspect of disc golf very keenly walking to the green on hole 17 or so of Toboggan. It is hard to throw my optimum drive (however short it is) on 18 when I am gasping for breath and barely holding my frame upright. So what happens? Not getting as much power on the drive (usually a RHFH) means it fades out earlier, usually close to or in to the woods on the right side. I am sure everyone feels the effects of the course, just not nearly to the extent that I do.

Most would not call Babe Ruth any model of fitness, but how fit someone is probably doesn't define if something IS a sport. It may define how good someone is AT that sport though.

Almost anyone can shoot a rifle at a target. Takes little athletic ability. Now, do it after cross country skiing for awhile (biathlon) and your heart rate is 85% max. Is one a sport and the other not? I've never really thought about what defines a sport, so I am throwing this out there as an example mostly.

I feel the 'sport' aspect of disc golf very keenly walking to the green on hole 17 or so of Toboggan. It is hard to throw my optimum drive (however short it is) on 18 when I am gasping for breath and barely holding my frame upright. So what happens? Not getting as much power on the drive (usually a RHFH) means it fades out earlier, usually close to or in to the woods on the right side. I am sure everyone feels the effects of the course, just not nearly to the extent that I do.

I know a few guys who would agree with how hard hole 18 at Toboggan is because of trekking the 17 holes before it. Each year it gets harder, too.

I wouldn't think twice if I saw someone dressed like or acting like you described at a local traditional golf league either. I grew up smack in between two golf courses and I can tell you that I haven't seen a tremendous difference between the folk that go to public golf courses and disc golfers.

I play in leagues of both. I wear the exact same thing, minus different shoes.

I am assuming you have never shot a gun at a target - either rifle or shotgun. It takes many of the same skills as putting in disc golf - strength, focus, steadiness, accuracy, etc.

To shoot AT a target takes little athletic ability, to consistently HIT that target takes much athletic ability.

Same as throwing a frisbee, anyone can do it, but only a select few can do it well consistently.

BUT to your point, there was an old joke at our gun club: How do you tell the skeet shooters from the trap shooters? The trap shooters belt buckles face downward, lol.

I am assuming you have never shot a gun at a target - either rifle or shotgun. It takes many of the same skills as putting in disc golf - strength, focus, steadiness, accuracy, etc.

To shoot AT a target takes little athletic ability, to consistently HIT that target takes much athletic ability.

Same as throwing a frisbee, anyone can do it, but only a select few can do it well consistently.

BUT to your point, there was an old joke at our gun club: How do you tell the skeet shooters from the trap shooters? The trap shooters belt buckles face downward, lol.
I don't get it. :confused:

I don't get it. :confused:

lol, it took me some time to figure out also.

It's an insiders joke, implying that trap shooters are so fat and out of shape that the shape of their stomach forces their belt buckles to face downward.

In any sport there are different levels of commitment and athletic fitness. I fit somewhere in the middle, not the fittest, but also not the fattest, lol.

Yes I have shot a gun at targets--moving and stationary. Yes, it takes skill to be good at it. But almost anyone can squeeze a trigger.

My point, which you have further brought out is this: Is something a sport only because it takes athletic skill to be GOOD at it?

You are right--anyone can throw a frisbee, including an infant. Does what is entailed to DO the activity define the sport, what is entailed to be GOOD at it? Or does something else define what should be called a sport? Again, I have never thought much about it, but when folks talk about the muscle memory and hand eye coordination needed to shoot pool or darts well, it is an interesting thought...

Yes I have shot a gun at targets--moving and stationary. Yes, it takes skill to be good at it. But almost anyone can squeeze a trigger.

My point, which you have further brought out is this: Is something a sport only because it takes athletic skill to be GOOD at it?

You are right--anyone can throw a frisbee, including an infant. Does what is entailed to DO the activity define the sport, what is entailed to be GOOD at it? Or does something else define what should be called a sport? Again, I have never thought much about it, but when folks talk about the muscle memory and hand eye coordination needed to shoot pool or darts well, it is an interesting thought...

I would question your focus on squeezing the trigger vs. the ultimate goal of the activity, which is to hit the target. And to push it further, can someone hit the target consistently under competitive situations. Not many can do that.

I feel like we are bound to hit a dead end at some point in the conversation and lose the forest for the trees, so I will bow out and let others try and define what a sport is.

But I absolutely consider disc golf to be a sport.

Ha. I've never been super competitive so "sports" that allow me to drink during play have always appealed to me.

Ya know I used to drink a lot and lay down some solid scores.... Come tourney time I usually carry a couple emergency beer, or leave em in my van, kinda like a 2 beer pool shark. My days of Downing a case and taking everyone's money are gone.

I cheat and regularly play tourneys sober... league however....

Latest posts