• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf in the News

At least he had a holster for the flare gun. Let's give the guy a little credit here lol.

Wow, even degenerates can appear friendly, imagine that.

With the obvious exception of prison ink, people don't wear their criminal records on their foreheads for everyone to read. Maybe his cardmates didn't know him that well, or maybe they did and they just wanted to play some DG anyway. We don't know.

Probably more of us than we know.

Maybe the victim just found out about the guy's extensive arrest record minutes before and said "I really don't want to finish this round with you" and the asshat said "did you just say you didn't want to finish this round with me? Are you threatening me" LOL. It probably escalated from there because the guy's a douche, and on top of it he can't control himself.

All good points, I should have left that line out.
I've ended up playing with a nutso myself, TBH. This was a guy I had worked with and thrown with a couple of times before - always in large groups so it didn't really come to the surface I guess. Walked off after a few holes before it got out of hand.

Gotta admit, 15 offenses in 15 years is a damn impressive record tho

Turning to something a bit more positive for our game.

NESN (New England Sports Network) is the flagship cable station for the Boston Red Sox. Each year during spring training, they do a daily live 30 minute broadcast where they give updates and interview players. By the end of spring, every player and coach on the roster ends up with some airtime. Part of the show is they do a special game challenge with the player(s) who appear each day. One year it was a golf CTP contest, another it was a free throw competition...all for bragging rights on the team (though there might be prizes too). Anyway, this year, they're doing a disc golf challenge. Over the course of the next few weeks, every player on the Red Sox will take part in a putting contest. They had a couple relievers on the show last night, though I missed it and there don't appear to be any replays available online. I intend to watch tonight to see what it's all about.

This is a video from the show host's instagram page demonstrating how it's done.

Nice to see a major network give a big name pro time to talk about the sport he loves.

He's also made an effort to speed up his pre shot routine. A couple years ago, I dreaded him being on live cards. Now, its not so bad and look forward to watching him carve up wooded courses with those Rocs.

Philo is very charismatic, at least off the course. He is a great spokesman for the game.

Agreed. After signing a disc for us, Philo spent at least 5 minutes talking with my daughter and me at the 2015 Worlds after round 5. And I think that it was us who ended the conversation, not him, as we had to hit the road.

Just saw Acorn park on the local news (WCCO). Story about the warm(?) weather. "How about a little disc golf?" No "frisbee golf", no explanation of what it is. Everybody here in the future of disc golf already knows and plays.

Philo is very charismatic, at least off the course. He is a great spokesman for the game.

That may be true but definitely not my experience with him. I had found a lost disc of his and I went out of my way to return it to him. I got a bored barely audible "Thanks" and he walked away. Had I known, I would have just kept the disc.

Just saw Acorn park on the local news (WCCO). Story about the warm(?) weather. "How about a little disc golf?" No "frisbee golf", no explanation of what it is. Everybody here in the future of disc golf already knows and plays.

That's a pretty decent course. Got the chance to play it a couple years ago.

That may be true but definitely not my experience with him. I had found a lost disc of his and I went out of my way to return it to him. I got a bored barely audible "Thanks" and he walked away. Had I known, I would have just kept the disc.

That's too bad - I am going to guess maybe he was just having a crummy day or had a lot on his mind. Nobody's going to always be "on" all the time.

My experience with meeting Philo was very positive: He came to Wisconsin in January (on a night where it snowed nearly a foot no less lol) to do a throwing clinic at an indoor ace race event that our local disc golf scene put together, I thought he was affable and friendly, and welcomed the chance to chat and hang out with us (mostly) amateur recreational players, share his wisdom, but also put on a throwing clinic where he was very confident in his technique, philosophy, and thought process for how he approached the game.

He gained a fan in me. I will always root for him to win every event I see him play in.

That's too bad - I am going to guess maybe he was just having a crummy day or had a lot on his mind. Nobody's going to always be "on" all the time.

My experience with meeting Philo was very positive: He came to Wisconsin in January (on a night where it snowed nearly a foot no less lol) to do a throwing clinic at an indoor ace race event that our local disc golf scene put together, I thought he was affable and friendly, and welcomed the chance to chat and hang out with us (mostly) amateur recreational players, share his wisdom, but also put on a throwing clinic where he was very confident in his technique, philosophy, and thought process for how he approached the game.

He gained a fan in me. I will always root for him to win every event I see him play in.

The difference is he was getting paid for the clinic but not for the returned disc.
Of course they're going to be friendly when they're taking your money.

The difference is he was getting paid for the clinic but not for the returned disc.
Of course they're going to be friendly when they're taking your money.

I mean, sure, if you want to go the cynical route and believe that Philo being friendly and approachable was all a "play nice" act because he was getting paid, that's your prerogative. I don't doubt for a second that's *why* he came to Wisconsin in January, but in my experience, I did not get "fake nice" vibes from him at all.

Latest posts