• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf Invention

I think we're getting off on tangents again, myself included. I think this is a more simple project that we are making it and that he was looking more for things like a disc retriever or something simple like that. I doubt he can make a gps anything or a simulator or anything like that.

We're helping a high school kid with his homework, not creating a wish list of DG toys that we all would love to have.

On top of that, one could sell the device as a form of "live timing" in that all the locators could be active and you could actually see where each player was on the course at all times. It would bring more viability to the sport by providing a means of tracking "your favorite" player.

This technology does not exist. I know because this is one of the technologies I sell.

The best you can do at this time is known as passive RFID (radio frequency identification). Everyone has seen it at stores - the tags or labels on items and the big loops on either side of the entry/exit doors at stores that set off an alarm if someone walks through with an item they have not paid for (or has not been rung up correctly).

Those big loops are antennas. It takes those big loops being within 5 or so feet to read the RFID chip. Unless we had those all over a course (and a network infrastructure to collect the data), you can not get to the point you are proposing.

BTW, it is very commonplace in road racing to have RFID tags attached to runners' shoes. These are read by big antennas that are hidden under the road/track surface at the start and finish lines and at mile-markers along the way.

Just because these students are expected to do something lower tech does not preclude that they are unable to make something a little more high tech. We should only be limited by our imaginations. This student asked for ideas, I see no reason not to imagine many possible projects, let him/her decide what level of effort to put in to it.

touche. But I still contend that a golf simulator/gps system/RFID scanner is a little out of range for a high school scope/time frame/budget.

what about a multivitamin that prevents players from making bogeys.

perhaps more useful... a tool that repairs discs.
a tool for flattening out a taco disc or warped disc.

maybe a special knife for trimming stray plastic pieces.

general disc repair would be cool.

but in all seriousness, the multivitamin.

what about a multivitamin that prevents players from making bogeys.

perhaps more useful... a tool that repairs discs.
a tool for flattening out a taco disc or warped disc.

maybe a special knife for trimming stray plastic pieces.

general disc repair would be cool.

but in all seriousness, the multivitamin.

I like that idea like a five in one type of thing, that could be really useful to a lot of golfers.

How about a putter returning device that could be attached to your practice basket? Some sort of conveyor belt contraption...

How about a putter returning device that could be attached to your practice basket? Some sort of conveyor belt contraption...

I really like this idea. but instead of a conveyer, a ramp/chute that puts the putter on edge so that it rolls down to you. maybe a net behind the target to catch the disc and funnel them to the chute. Couldn't do anything about made shots without altering the basket, but whatever. Good one.

I really like this idea. but instead of a conveyer, a ramp/chute that puts the putter on edge so that it rolls down to you. maybe a net behind the target to catch the disc and funnel them to the chute. Couldn't do anything about made shots without altering the basket, but whatever. Good one.
Yeah, the method doesn't matter that much as long as it doesn't jam and is pretty inexpensive I imagine it would increase the number of practice hours people put in.

Taking care of returning the missed shots is a bit more problematic I think. Might have to resort to some more advanced contraptions... like kids.

Just because these students are expected to do something lower tech does not preclude that they are unable to make something a little more high tech. We should only be limited by our imaginations. This student asked for ideas, I see no reason not to imagine many possible projects, let him/her decide what level of effort to put in to it.

again he has to make it, not us.

While in Florida, We took an under water camera mounted it on a pole with suction cups. Monitor was in the raft. Spot the disc and hit it with the cups and presto. Rescued disc.

While in Florida, We took an under water camera mounted it on a pole with suction cups. Monitor was in the raft. Spot the disc and hit it with the cups and presto. Rescued disc.

That's an awesome idea, talk about going high tech for disc diving.

How about small GPS units in baskets which are solar powered and hidden from view. That could be pretty sweet.

What about a small device on the disc, where if lost you could hit a remote button and the disc would beep. That would save me a ton of time.

Or how about a disc that could tell you the distance you threw and at what the top speed of your throw was. I think that would be great for practice

Give me some time and I will come up with some more.

There is this neat disc that measures RPMs and time aloft...http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6566

Doesn't appear to be a golfin' disc, though. :(

wow thanks for all the help guys, im considering my options now and will get started on something soon

what about some kind of drive practice device, so you don't have go walk to other side of the field and find your discs. Like in soccer you put the ball in a net thing with a string attached to a stake.