• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf is GREAT! The Story of #amWorlds15

Shooter14

Eagle Member
Hey guys! I've been gone for a really long time, just got caught up in life. Things change and ya gotta prioritize, well DG forums were expectedly on the bottom of the list.

So in July me, a buddy, and my little brother headed off to Kalamazoo!!! We went to Am Worlds. I played 19u. This was my first tourney ever larger than an Arkansas B-tier. First round (at Spinski's Championship), subpar..in my head. I didn't feel good about it. I took a very unnecessary 5 on the last hole to tie Nick Duran for the round. He's a super chill dude btw, played with him almost every round. Got back up to the table and it looked like I was still in contingence! I was only a few out of the lead. Hebenheimer shot a 54 which was SUPER hot, from there there were a couple 55's and then for the most part it went to ~60 for everyone else.

Went to lunch and cooled down a bit, then headed to Oshtemo Park for the 2nd and final round of the day. It. Was. Rough. It played almost exactly like my home course does, the exact same style of golf, so I was expecting to go low and make a move. Shot another 60. Very very mediocre golf! I left at LEAST 5 strokes out there. Got back to the hotel and hung out with some of the others from Arkansas as we were going over scores from the day. Turns out I was still in 8th! a 120 overall was the 8th best score.

Phew, still above the cut line. The next day was Timber Ridge Ski Resort. Everyone had been telling me how brutal is was and how it was a very make it or break it course. Nervous to say the least.

We got there early and did a little warming up, primarily I made sure that I had my putt dialed in! The round started off slowly, taking back to back unnecessary 4's. Kept going. Lost disc on a simple hole, another 4. Just stupid mistakes. I kept going and kept grinding, knowing I wasn't out of it yet, based on the performance of the others on my card. We came to a point where there was a SEVERAL card backup. One of my buddies was standing there and we began talking. I told him what I was shooting and he was blown away..?? What? He said everybody he had talked to was well above that. Good to know. After the backups had cleared, I cleared my mind, made my drive, and proceeded. Solid golf from there on out..Until the end. I was sitting in a VERY good position going into the last 3 holes-16, 17, and 18. I took a 6 on 16, 4 on 17, and 5 on 18...All VERY unnecessary and aggravating.. My round ended up being a mere 952 rated. Without those 6 extra strokes on the last 3 holes I would've been in the 1010 neighborhood. I was flaming mad after that round. I just knew I'd given it all up there. I started talking around in the clubhouse and the 66 wasn't as bad as I'd anticipated. It wasn't good though.

I was still 11th overall. Deep breath. Get your head back about you and golf like you can!

Meyers Broadway N & S. Bad, bad, bad. I gave up so many strokes to that course. I had repeated birdie putts off the cage, repeated drives catch one little limb, or skip/roll away, etc etc etc. Just an ugly day in general. I would birdie 465ft holes, and bogey 270ft holes. Hmmmm. I had fallen below the cut line. Need need need to play stellar at ColdBrook Park to make it back into the semis!

Coldbrook ate my lunch. I had 9, NINE, NUEVE, 3x3, NINE birdie putts hit the POLE and come out!! It was the hardest round of my life to endure because I was playing so well and not getting rewarded for it. I watched by drive nestle 20ft away from the basket on a pure line, and another guy on my card miss his line, hit a tree, kick back towards the basket, and skip under it. My bird would chain out, he'd have an unearned tap in. Just bullcrap golf all day. I did make a slight move back up but not enough. Overall I had the 12th best score, but due to ties above me, I didn't make the cut. What a kick to the stomach. I felt awful. It was great to know that that was my first time performing on a big stage and I actually played decent golf! I've only been playing about 2 years, so it was a first and I still have a lot of time to improve. I'm excited for next year and ready to do it again! Making the semi AND finals cut this time!
So much drive and motivation to succeed!!!!

We had a blast and I'd encourage everyone to try to make an Am Worlds if at all possible, you won't regret it.

Hey guys! I've been gone for a really long time, just got caught up in life. Things change and ya gotta prioritize, well DG forums were expectedly on the bottom of the list.

So in July me, a buddy, and my little brother headed off to Kalamazoo!!! We went to Am Worlds. I played 19u. This was my first tourney ever larger than an Arkansas B-tier. First round (at Spinski's Championship), subpar..in my head. I didn't feel good about it. I took a very unnecessary 5 on the last hole to tie Nick Duran for the round. He's a super chill dude btw, played with him almost every round. Got back up to the table and it looked like I was still in contingence! I was only a few out of the lead. Hebenheimer shot a 54 which was SUPER hot, from there there were a couple 55's and then for the most part it went to ~60 for everyone else.

Went to lunch and cooled down a bit, then headed to Oshtemo Park for the 2nd and final round of the day. It. Was. Rough. It played almost exactly like my home course does, the exact same style of golf, so I was expecting to go low and make a move. Shot another 60. Very very mediocre golf! I left at LEAST 5 strokes out there. Got back to the hotel and hung out with some of the others from Arkansas as we were going over scores from the day. Turns out I was still in 8th! a 120 overall was the 8th best score.

Phew, still above the cut line. The next day was Timber Ridge Ski Resort. Everyone had been telling me how brutal is was and how it was a very make it or break it course. Nervous to say the least.

We got there early and did a little warming up, primarily I made sure that I had my putt dialed in! The round started off slowly, taking back to back unnecessary 4's. Kept going. Lost disc on a simple hole, another 4. Just stupid mistakes. I kept going and kept grinding, knowing I wasn't out of it yet, based on the performance of the others on my card. We came to a point where there was a SEVERAL card backup. One of my buddies was standing there and we began talking. I told him what I was shooting and he was blown away..?? What? He said everybody he had talked to was well above that. Good to know. After the backups had cleared, I cleared my mind, made my drive, and proceeded. Solid golf from there on out..Until the end. I was sitting in a VERY good position going into the last 3 holes-16, 17, and 18. I took a 6 on 16, 4 on 17, and 5 on 18...All VERY unnecessary and aggravating.. My round ended up being a mere 952 rated. Without those 6 extra strokes on the last 3 holes I would've been in the 1010 neighborhood. I was flaming mad after that round. I just knew I'd given it all up there. I started talking around in the clubhouse and the 66 wasn't as bad as I'd anticipated. It wasn't good though.

I was still 11th overall. Deep breath. Get your head back about you and golf like you can!

Meyers Broadway N & S. Bad, bad, bad. I gave up so many strokes to that course. I had repeated birdie putts off the cage, repeated drives catch one little limb, or skip/roll away, etc etc etc. Just an ugly day in general. I would birdie 465ft holes, and bogey 270ft holes. Hmmmm. I had fallen below the cut line. Need need need to play stellar at ColdBrook Park to make it back into the semis!

Coldbrook ate my lunch. I had 9, NINE, NUEVE, 3x3, NINE birdie putts hit the POLE and come out!! It was the hardest round of my life to endure because I was playing so well and not getting rewarded for it. I watched by drive nestle 20ft away from the basket on a pure line, and another guy on my card miss his line, hit a tree, kick back towards the basket, and skip under it. My bird would chain out, he'd have an unearned tap in. Just bullcrap golf all day. I did make a slight move back up but not enough. Overall I had the 12th best score, but due to ties above me, I didn't make the cut. What a kick to the stomach. I felt awful. It was great to know that that was my first time performing on a big stage and I actually played decent golf! I've only been playing about 2 years, so it was a first and I still have a lot of time to improve. I'm excited for next year and ready to do it again! Making the semi AND finals cut this time!
So much drive and motivation to succeed!!!!

We had a blast and I'd encourage everyone to try to make an Am Worlds if at all possible, you won't regret it.

Sorry to hear of your luck, but I hope you enjoyed your time here in the Mighty Mitten. Oshtemo is a great course. Challenging, but not overbearing. Many MI courses tend to be unfiltered forests or super short. Oshtemo was a great choice for Worlds. Spinski is a local shop owner (recently closed shop unfortunately because of a death in the family from what I hear) that put in a pretty decent course, but you can tell it wasn't by a top tier designer - still a nice afternoon's walk.

Thanks for your stories, best of luck next year! Come back to KZoo in February for some REAL fun disc'n! :thmbup:

Cheers.

Thanks! i was happy though, I felt good about it since I've only been playing for 2 years.

Spinski's Original was duuumbb. I actually really enjoyed the Championship side, which is what we played in competition
What's a solid score for one of you locals on the Championship?

Those coldbrook baskets tho, I had 2 spit-outs and another card member had 2 also... On the first hole I played at coldbrook (the one with the net behind you) I hit the cage off the tee and ended up 3 putting that hole...

And VICKSBURG!! I loved it! We played the Pro/Am doubles there with Yeti and Des Reading.

I was, of course, sitting on the am side. (barely 17 years old, of course I'm playing am when the pros are of world class caliber).. We started counting it up and were 3 or 4 pros short. Ughhh. I moved over and played as a pro. Me and my am tied Yeti and his am!! Really cool experience. I had a blast in Kzoo!!

Those coldbrook baskets tho, I had 2 spit-outs and another card member had 2 also... On the first hole I played at coldbrook (the one with the net behind you) I hit the cage off the tee and ended up 3 putting that hole...

No doubt. I had so so many hit pole just above the basket or slight right side and come out. Suckedd..

How'd you finish? What division?

I played mj3, I made semis. I played pretty terrible on spinskis origional and coldbrook, I then short all 900+ the rest of the way on robert morris and vicksburg.

Spinski's Original was duuumbb. I actually really enjoyed the Championship side, which is what we played in competition
What's a solid score for one of you locals on the Championship?

It's about 45 minutes south for me, and I don't get out that way often, but I usually shoot low 60s there. It's only been up for a little while. I've got about 6-7 rounds in there. The best being a 58 and I was DAMN proud of that one. Effin' tree heaven out there!

Latest posts