• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf Meccas

Wow! That DGCR map is HEAVILY populated! It would take the majority of a month to hit every one of those!

Yes, though to me Charlotte offers a lot of very good courses, but not necessarily great courses. A lot of 4.0s and 4.5s. I refer to it as a quantity of quality.

Whether that meets someone's standard of a Mecca, I don't know.

Mecca is a place where everyone of that faith aspires to visit at least once in a lifetime, and I think of the disc golf Meccas in the same way. That makes for a pretty short list. Flyboy, which I mentioned before, is the only one I've been to. The one I haven't been to that I think of in those terms, is Highbridge Hills -- for the disc golf, and the fact that it's so remote for me.

The thing about the original Mecca is it provides the same level of service and satisfaction to all true believers who make the journey. The active, mostly male disc golfers posting here primarily consider the number and quality of blue and gold level courses as their metric for assigning mecca status. Seems like locations considered for mecca status should also have quality short courses or at least shorter layouts within longer layouts from 4500 feet down to the equivalent of 3000 feet for 18 holes. The shorter the course, the more players of all skill levels have the chance to earn birdie 2s, possibly buzz the basket or get an ace which is not possible for the majority of disc golfers on gold, blue, white or even many red level courses.

The thing about the original Mecca is it provides the same level of service and satisfaction to all true believers who make the journey. The active, mostly male disc golfers posting here primarily consider the number and quality of blue and gold level courses as their metric for assigning mecca status. Seems like locations considered for mecca status should also have quality short courses or at least shorter layouts within longer layouts from 4500 feet down to the equivalent of 3000 feet for 18 holes. The shorter the course, the more players of all skill levels have the chance to earn birdie 2s, possibly buzz the basket or get an ace which is not possible for the majority of disc golfers on gold, blue, white or even many red level courses.

Sounds like another vote for Highbridge.:p

Gotcha. Thought you were referencing the purple layout on Blueberry, although I didn't check to see if the length was in the neighborhood of 3000'.

I really liked the way the overlapping Blueberry layouts played for the varying skill levels in my family. Everyone could play something that fit their skill level and do it together.:thmbup:

It's more of a spread out area, but the Dayton/Cincy area has the following within one hour if you are staying near Mason, in addition to dozens more not listed:

Idlewild
Lincoln Ridge
Mt Airy Forest
Osage Grove
Stonelick State Park
Armco Park
Echo Valley
Caesar Ford
Sycamore Trail
Belmont Park
Handyman Ace
Englewood
Buck Creek and
Urbana Hilltop--these last two probably push the hour envelope. Others may like different courses, these are some of my personal favorites though. (except Osage--not played it yet).

Honestly, by now I imagine that every state has at least one serious destination spot with multiple courses around. So come on people speak up, let's hear what your state's packing!!!

If you are talking about high quality courses, Louisiana does not have this. There are some good courses, but the only courses worth traveling to play are at opposite ends of the state and with respect to PDF, a very good course, the closest high quality course is a 1.5 hour drive away.

If you are talking about high quality courses, Louisiana does not have this. There are some good courses, but the only courses worth traveling to play are at opposite ends of the state and with respect to PDF, a very good course, the closest high quality course is a 1.5 hour drive away.

What I am saying is in regards to the other courses in your state. Sherevport or Monroe are what looks to be the best area to go. I've played Lafayette area and Pineville area those were ok courses.

Gotcha. Thought you were referencing the purple layout on Blueberry, although I didn't check to see if the length was in the neighborhood of 3000'.

I really liked the way the overlapping Blueberry layouts played for the varying skill levels in my family. Everyone could play something that fit their skill level and do it together.:thmbup:
As I said, we're adding purple layouts whose lengths are similar to Par 2 or Ace Place layouts for higher level players and scaled properly for players using Ultimate discs. Woodland has purple tees identified but not yet physically marked or shown on UDisc.

Glad you enjoyed the new layout options on Blueberry even though not marked well yet. By next year, we'll have better markings to more easily see which tee goes to which basket when playing a special layout.

Sounds like another vote for Highbridge.:p

...and Ludington.

Beauty, Flip, and Leviathan shorts are all Rec to Intermediate level friendly.

Last edited:
Bedford Co. Virginia. Since Paul has move to the area and influenced the recent course opening and the redesigns of other courses, this is turning in to a Mecca. Throw in the course in and around Lynchburg, I'm blessed. We have so many options.
Played Falling Creek Red today. The slick brick tee pads have all been replaced by huge concert pads. Still haven't played the local Mcbeth designed New London Tech cause I'm just a Rec player and don't want to card a 100+ round.

Last edited:
Bedford Co. Virginia.

Buddy of mine lives down that way and I'm looking forward to a visit. Roanoke, too. :D

Lots of good answers, lots of great places to travel and enjoy tossing plastic on great courses. Some places that I have enjoyed very much, and some places that I hope to visit (or re-visit).

But the correct answer is some random spot in SE Pennsylvania. Just a ridiculous concentration of good to great courses. Within less than 50 miles you have everything: DGCR top 25 (Muddy Run 4.70); one of the toughest woods courses in the world (Iron Hill 4.30 par 72); multi-course complexes (Tyler SP 4.55 and 4.29); ski hills (Blue Mountain - Skyline 4.17); top-rated mini courses (Beaver Creek 4.44); four states (PA, NJ, DE, MD); and sixteen (sixteen!) courses rated 4.0+ with at least 3 reviews.

If you can top that, I will start planning my next trip right now!

Last edited:
Buddy of mine lives down that way and I'm looking forward to a visit. Roanoke, too. :D

Lots of good answers, lots of great places to travel and enjoy tossing plastic on great courses. Some places that I have enjoyed very much, and some places that I hope to visit (or re-visit).

But the correct answer is some random spot in SE Pennsylvania. Just a ridiculous concentration of good to great courses. Within less than 50 miles you have everything: DGCR top 25 (Muddy Run 4.70); one of the toughest woods courses in the world (Iron Hill 4.30 par 72); multi-course complexes (Tyler SP 4.55 and 4.29); ski hills (Blue Mountain - Skyline 4.17); top-rated mini courses (Beaver Creek 4.44); four states (PA, NJ, DE, MD); and sixteen (sixteen!) courses rated 4.0+ with at least 3 reviews.

If you can top that, I will start planning my next trip right now!

If you are near Muddy Run, I think you would be remiss in passing on this beauty of a course.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=2315&mode=ci

"beauty of a course. "

Go watch the video of when Simon was visiting Paul and they we're playing Falling Creek and Simon stops to point out the views of the Blue Ridge.

What I am saying is in regards to the other courses in your state. Sherevport or Monroe are what looks to be the best area to go. I've played Lafayette area and Pineville area those were ok courses.

Well, what you said was:

. . . serious destination spot with other courses around . . .

Because the thread is about a disc golf "Mecca" I assumed that you were talking about quality courses, i.e., staying on topic. There are two "destination" courses in Louisiana IMO. They are the course at PDF and the two courses at Lake Claiborne. Neither location is particularly close to any other high quality course. Lake Claiborne is a half hour drive to any other course.

Monroe has two good courses at Lazarre Park and several mediocre courses in another park. Shreveport has a couple of good courses. Baton Rouge has two good courses. Lafayette is probably the most worthwhile destination as far as the number of acceptably good courses, but none of those cities fit this thread's topic.

If Mecca means of historical importance I would vote for Cliff Stephen's in Clearwater, FL. I mean they even have a sign on hole #16 for the "Champ".

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Hole #16 Cliff Stephens.jpg
    Hole #16 Cliff Stephens.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 164
  • Ken Climo small.jpg
    Ken Climo small.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 165
Bedford Co. Virginia. Since Paul has move to the area and influenced the recent course opening and the redesigns of other courses, this is turning in to a Mecca. Throw in the course in and around Lynchburg, I'm blessed. We have so many options.
Played Falling Creek Red today. The slick brick tee pads have all been replaced by huge concert pads. Still haven't played the local Mcbeth designed New London Tech cause I'm just a Rec player and don't want to card a 100+ round.

They still have a ways to go to catch up with Fredericksburg, VA. Besides the courses, the location is much easier to access from the rest of the State.

https://udisc.com/blog/post/top-disc-golf-small-towns-usa-fredericksburg-virginia

Latest posts