• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf Meccas

Since I don't see a west coast entry yet, I am going to propose Portland, OR.
As long as you can stand the rain, we have Milo, Blue Lake, and Pier Park as the more well known courses within 30 mins.
I have two 9's, a 12-hole (weird, I know) and another 18 within 5 minutes of my house. Horning's Hideout and Buxton woods are fun private courses right outside of town.

Texas

In Texas, it has to be Tyler

With Dogwood @ Lindsey Park (Gold) being the premier course

But then you have some really decent courses around the area

2 other courses at Lindsey park, the Red and Blue courses.
South Spring DGC
UT Tyler is not all that bad of a course
The Roc is also a decent course
22 miles north of Lindsey, you have Mineola Nature Preserve that is decent.

After that you get more than 30 miles out but there are some decent courses within an hours drive.

Morton, IL.
4 courses less than 5 min from each other with many other quality courses within 25 min
Northwood Blue
Northwood Black (still work in progress)
Megiddo
Kennel Lake
McNaughton
Sunset Hills
Wildlife Prairie Park
Lake Eureka
Tuscarora (once finished)

Beginner and Rec courses as well all nearby
Bradley
Washington
ICC
Camp Kearney
Some good 9er's
Goodfield
Creve Coeur
Westwood

Morton, IL.
4 courses less than 5 min from each other with many other quality courses within 25 min
Northwood Blue
Northwood Black (still work in progress)
Megiddo
Kennel Lake
McNaughton
Sunset Hills
Wildlife Prairie Park
Lake Eureka
Tuscarora (once finished)

Beginner and Rec courses as well all nearby
Bradley
Washington
ICC
Camp Kearney
Some good 9er's
Goodfield
Creve Coeur
Westwood

Not Mecca level probably, but I agree that there's some solid disc golf options down there. And that's based off of one trip there.

Megiddo is an underrated gem. And the Lake Eureka course was more enjoyable than I was imagining it would be.

The only good post in this entire thread.

Around here, a lot has changed since the last post on that tread in 2017. I wouldn't have suggested the Bedford Co. area back then. But I'll agree maybe a bump on the old tread would have been better then creating a new one discussing the same topic. I'll admit I'm not a DGCR forum historian.

Around here, a lot has changed since the last post on that tread in 2017. I wouldn't have suggested the Bedford Co. area back then. But I'll agree maybe a bump on the old tread would have been better then creating a new one discussing the same topic. I'll admit I'm not a DGCR forum historian.

There's only like 7 people on here who can actually find these old threads. They all like to rub it in your face too. Like, Didn't you mean this forum that was last active in 2013? Then if you actually manage to find a thread about it, they make fun of you for Necro bumping stuff.

You will get made fun of regardless of what you do. It's just the way things work around here. ;)

As someone who occasionally drives from Louisiana to Texas to go on disc golf trips, I have to disagree. Tyler is, indeed, home to some good courses and I completely that the Gold course at Lindsey Park is excellent, but I typically stop there to spend the night on the way to Mt. Vernon which is home to the Selah and Trey Texas Ranch courses.

Austin and DFW are also higher on my list than Tyler.

But then you have some really decent courses around the area

2 other courses at Lindsey park, the Red and Blue courses.
South Spring DGC
UT Tyler is not all that bad of a course
The Roc is also a decent course
22 miles north of Lindsey, you have Mineola Nature Preserve that is decent.

After that you get more than 30 miles out but there are some decent courses within an hours drive.

The back 9 of U T Tyler is a fun all wooded back 9. But my fav is Lindsey Gold. The worst is the ROC and most of the front nine at UT. Cain park was decent but nothing to write home about. Of course cain is not in tyler. I always have wanted to play Lake Nac.

you've been playing 10 years. it shouldn't be offensive for me to say you'll probably always be a Rec player. just go play the course!

I've played Idlewild 7 times, yet to get single digits OVER par. But it's my second favorite course to play. I agree, just go play it. :)

As you've alluded to in the past Chuck, the vast majority of folks who play disc golf are more towards the rec end of the spectrum. Reachable and ace-able holes are fun, and regions, courses and course complexes that offer fun layouts for various levels are more 'accessible' meccas... Especially if we want families to truly plan disc-golf-centric vacations. I'd definitely include the Reno/Tahoe/Carson-Valley area, which straddles CA/NV as a family friendly dg mecca, with lots of other natural wonder, outdoor rec and historical interest attractions to supplement the dg aspect...

Here's a rundown of the options in the region (mecca)

South Shore (Tahoe)

Bijou (27 holes with 130+ pins, front 9 quite beginner friendly)
Zephyr (elevation, forest, incredible views, but its a hike, zephyr cove resort next door; beaches, boating, horseback riding, v-ball)
Kirkwood (ski resort, more extreme elevation than zephyr, a favorite for 'hikers', July wildflowers, mt biking option for family...)
Tahoe Paradise (welcoming new 9-holer to satisfy beg/experienced players, only turf pads in area, lake + other park activities)
- interpretive info on signs about prominent peaks seen from course)
Turtle Rock (was prime destination south of Tahoe with camping along a creek in middle of course, but claimed by Caldor fire!)

Carson Valley

Pine Nuts (High desert, incredible views of mountain ranges, mix of short/long holes, interesting metal artwork)
- interpretive info on signs
Carson Ridge Park (Stadium Course 18 + Pony Express 9, which is a very highly rated beginner course; beg/int/adv pars on signs)
- interpretive info on signs, disc golf dedicated parking lot)
Dayton (Cottonwood tunnels along river, very challenging, but pleasant walk for tag-alongs...)

Reno

Wedge (South Reno, popular 9 hole short course, with great 'introductory' elevation changes)
Lizard Peak Complex (North Reno/Sun Valley, 27 big mountain holes + very popular pitch n putt 9-hole)
Mayor's (North Reno/Stead, innovative use of mando poles, split rail fence, ob, islands, in rolling/open desertscape, concrete tees)
Washoe (known as "The Shoe", long ball golf P2P layout, carts, refreshments, luxurious...)
The Ranch (Reno's first permanent course. Some elevation & great downtown Reno/Mt views, decent beginner course)

Truckee/Tahoe Area

Stampede (USFS property on reservoir, forest, elevation, camping, boating)
Donner (ski resort, gorgeous granite, mt and lake views, fun elevation! amenities and food at lodge)
Truckee Regional (area's first course along truckee river, near historic district, forested, open and some elevation. Park amenities)
Sierra College (in Truckee, heavily forested, tight, challenging lines, elevation, tricky wayfinding)
Tahoe Vista (pay to park, regional park, forested, manzanita, some great lake views, more advanced, but park stuff for others)
Incline (more beg friendly 18 but also will satisfy huckers on a few holes, winds around tennis, next to rec center, tahoe beaches)

Would like to give a shout out to Saint Cloud MN. Early May of this year the buddies and I took a roadtrip from KC to check out Airborn and some surrounding courses. We played all three Airborn courses, Montissippi, Clearwater/Pleasant Lake, and Hidden Lake. All where a big hit amongst us.
Though Airborn is in its infant stages I believe Cale Leiviska is just getting started on what will become one of DG greatest meccas in the states.

PS. Word on the street is Hidden Lake just put in concrete tees... WOW. I am jonesing to go back.

No criteria. I like travelling. Or at least dreaming of travelling. Just wanting to spark some casual convo.

The international Disc Golf Center (IDGC) in Appling, GA is something you might want to look into. It's where the PDGA is located (meh), there's an awesome museum with a pro shop, and a trio of top tier courses. IMO every player should make a trip there at least once.

Would like to give a shout out to Saint Cloud MN. Early May of this year the buddies and I took a roadtrip from KC to check out Airborn and some surrounding courses. We played all three Airborn courses, Montissippi, Clearwater/Pleasant Lake, and Hidden Lake. All where a big hit amongst us.
Though Airborn is in its infant stages I believe Cale Leiviska is just getting started on what will become one of DG greatest meccas in the states.

PS. Word on the street is Hidden Lake just put in concrete tees... WOW. I am jonesing to go back.

if thats all you played while up there in stc you still have plenty of quality courses left to try

Highbridge Hills, Mellen, WI. Where I'll be tomorrow!!!!!!

This.

If you're ever in Wisconsin, definitely book a weekend stay at Highbridge.

Then after that book a weekend at Sandy Point Resort which is less than an hour away from Highbridge :thmbup: