• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

"Disc Golf Not as Green as it seems"

Yea like I said I'm sure it happens on rare occasion. One of the greatest things about disc golf is how safe of a sport it is. The worst injury I've ever heard of is a broken ankle. I broke my knuckle on a tree a year and a half ago as well. Ive been hit in the back by a high speed driver in a too cramped tourney and I barley felt it it. Not saying that's the norm but it is my experience.

Your right slanderous may of been the wrong word choice there. But the cherry picking which stories to print to only show the negative aspect of disc golf is what I was trying to get at.

I'm happy to put aside my previous beef with you Matt to thank you for your well reasoned responses in this thread.

I'm happy to put aside my previous beef with you Matt to thank you for your well reasoned responses in this thread.

Uh, okay thanks. I have to admit, I don't remember what the beef was but I'm glad its put aside!

i think this site has a lot of silent beef. there are 5 or so people that ive never interacted with but who i think are retards and cringe when i see their posts. it is what it is.

its unfortunate that in a time when people need an outlet from the everyday struggle, you have tools like this guy who stretch the realities of situations, and try and close that outlet.

I was looking around on the SMP website safety page and clicked on the link for Read what disc golfers have to say about animal injuries. It goes to a pdf of screen prints from DGCR. Not sure that is legal without Timg permission.

Some of the more level-headed comments in this debate state the obvious... Disc golf isn't appropriate in some urban parks. Over the past two decades, the San Francisco Disc Golf Club has repeatedly tried to install a course in McLaren Park. Every time they presented their plan to the community, the community overwhelmingly rejected it. All city supervisors that represent the park oppose the idea. Most current Park Commissioners oppose it. Community groups throughout the area reject it too. In fact, outside the immediate disc golf community, it's hard to find anyone who supports the idea of installing a course in McLaren.

Maybe it's time that the SFDGC take a hint an give up on their McLaren plan. If they formally withdraw their effort to build a course there, I bet they'll stop hearing from Ken or the rest of Save McLaren Park. They can then focus their energy on beautification efforts at the GGP course, and possibly set their sites on other open space in the Bay Area... somewhere that not so highly valued by the community surrounding it.

It's obvious to all of us that disc golf continues to grow in popularity, but history will prove how environmentally destructive it is. Many disc golf courses are slowly evolving from lush landscapes to much more barren spaces, where grass is replaced with mulch and trees have to be protected by fences. The change is slow, making some people think the damage in minimal or forgivable. But over time even the strongest trees will succumb to the constant assault to it's protective outer layers.

Last edited:
Paraphrased: :wall:

Ken has a friend. Ken's friend stretches truths and exaggerates just as much as Ken does.

Oh wait...

It's obvious to all of us that disc golf continues to grow in popularity, but history will prove how environmentally destructive it is. Many disc golf courses are slowly evolving from lush landscapes to much more barren spaces, where grass is replaced with mulch and trees have to be protected by fences. The change is slow, making some people think the damage in minimal or forgivable. But over time even the strongest trees will succumb to the constant assault to it's protective outer layers.

...he flat out makes things up too!

yea it's completely bs that only disc golfers want a course in the park, what about the following people.

- people afraid of birds
- people who love mulch
- people who just generally dislike snobby liberal types who think only they have the right to get what they want
- people who just generally dislike Ken because he's full of it and want to see anybody who opposes him victorious
- people who don't like trees
- people who are anti drug dealers/criminals/scum who hang out and bring down the parks (we all know discs being thrown by white people scare those types)

My local course is likely the busiest in the state.
It has all of the problems that ken fears.

Imo, the problem isnt the course, its the lack of near by courses.
Dg will continue to grow and without multiple courses the lonely courses will take a beating.

I was able to get this thread re-opened so lets keep the discussion going. There needs to be an intelligent debate on this subject as Disc Golf and the community is not going away any time soon (it will probably become more prevalent in the years to come).

Out here in Cali, we've been dealing with this for a long time. Fact of the matter is, public spaces are every one's to enjoy so both sides are valid. I think what frustrates us golfers is how the opposition selects only the evidence which furthers their views. At least thru this discussion, there have been multiple golfers who have stated both sides. We just don't get that in return.

Latest posts