• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf 'Nuggets'

drickanderson

Double Eagle Member
Back in my 'gun' days, we had a term for wanting a particular firearm really really bad, even if we didn't need it. That term was 'nuggets'. I remember having nuggets for the Kimber Eclipse when it first came out. Did I need a new .45? .. no. Did I have the money for a new .45? .. nope. But I was going to have that gun.

For the first time since then I'm experiencing the same thing. I own every disc that I need right now, and my bag holds more than what I play with. So why would I look at a disc, or a new bag, and feel that I absolutely HAD to have it?

Being older now, I seem to be able to control myself a little better, but the feeling is still there, and I don't quite understand it. When the Archon came out, I had serious nuggets for that disc. I don't have a hole in my current line up, and it wouldn't really fill a particular role in my game, but I was going nuts because I wanted it. Why? .. I don't get it. The same goes for the new Grip bag. My bag is fine. It does everything that I want, and it's still in good condition, but oh MAN I want that bag. It doesn't make any sense.

I guess in a way it's kind of fun to feel that way about things, but at the same time, I'd rather put my time and effort into becoming a better player, rather than obsessing over something I don't really need. ..

That's how I am with bowling balls and am starting to get that way with discs and got mad nuggets for a Sig p226 two tone haha

When I get that way, I double up my field practice, lol. I have a theory that this feeling manifests when we get comfortable/complacent in our game. We're just "ok" with performing at the level we're at with no real drive to improve (maybe someday in the future, but not this moment). I mostly get this feeling when I'm so frustrated with what I'm trying to learn/improve in my game and I start to divert my attention and say "maybe it's not me, it's the disc" when really I'm executing poorly - now I'm not trying to say that's you - but it helped me to figure out why I started wanting that stuff so now I know how to deal with it.

i have serious nuggets for a pimped rock river AR with all the fixins, them things gimme chubbys

but as for discs, i only get nuggets for stuff im not gonna throw now. more for things i just wanna have to say i have it or hang it on my wall. like id like to have an 01 ce roc and someday i shall!

sounds like the dg marketers are doing their jobs if your 'nuggets' are high

i also face this problem sometimes - and force myself off the forums for awhile :)

It's only natural that you feel that way about the things that interest you. You see the slick, new, high speed drivers and think, "Oh man, I bet I could throw a quarter-mile with that!" or a new bag and think of all the extra **** could drag around. It's just a passion for the game. Hank Hill has it with Propane, and we have it with disc golf. The trick is to make it a point of pride to not have the "expensive as balls" new bag, or the drivers we probably can't throw properly. You gotta tell yourself, "I don't need that crap-I'm closing in on 400 feet with the same Striker and River I've had for a couple years now," and "Why should I break out $120 for a new bag? The one I have is fine, and I'd really like to try my hand at making a better one."
That being said, I dye discs, and therefore get a lot of new ones passing through my hands, and it's about the hardest thing for me to spend hours carefully dyeing them, and then putting them in a box and never throwing any of them at all.

I didn't need that 1986 Mirada no bead aviar, but it arrived in the mail yesterday. I just think it is hilarious having a disc that says both "PDGA Championships" and "Coors" on it. It screams to me that it is blackmail material. When I hold it in my hands, it feels like I have the PDGA by its "nuggets," and one day, when the PDGA is peddling it's sqeaky clean image on Fox News (in between the "buy gold nuggets" infomercials) I'll hold up that disc so that everyone can see where the PDGA really comes from.

I get that way whenever I see other people throw a particular disc really well, whether it's new or not. I played with a guy that threw a Mako quite a bit. It was such a straight-flying, long-gliding disc. On some up-and-over holes, he was out-driving guys that were throwing drivers by using a mid-range disc and exerting much less effort. I ordered one a few days later and love it.

I didn't need that 1986 Mirada no bead aviar, but it arrived in the mail yesterday. I just think it is hilarious having a disc that says both "PDGA Championships" and "Coors" on it. It screams to me that it is blackmail material. When I hold it in my hands, it feels like I have the PDGA by its "nuggets," and one day, when the PDGA is peddling it's sqeaky clean image on Fox News (in between the "buy gold nuggets" infomercials) I'll hold up that disc so that everyone can see where the PDGA really comes from.

Err...I think the Gentlemen's club challenge is better evidence and far better looking besides.

I guess the only disc that I really want, would be an original Phantom.

And maybe some more 1st run Buzzz's, becuase they are buttered nuggets!

In the guitar world this phenomenon is known as GAS, Gear Acquisition Syndrome, and it has nothing to do with a player's talent level or current gear. I'm a card carrying member of both GAS clubs (disc and guitar), but I gotta say discs are a helluva lot cheaper than late 60s Les Pauls.

In the guitar world this phenomenon is known as GAS, Gear Acquisition Syndrome, and it has nothing to do with a player's talent level or current gear. I'm a card carrying member of both GAS clubs (disc and guitar), but I gotta say discs are a helluva lot cheaper than late 60s Les Pauls.

:hfive:

I also suffer from GAS :|

Guitars & Recording equipment,that is.

I've been through the G.A.S. phases for both mountain biking and snowboarding (and survived), but those are are much worse than disc golf.. To wit, the most expensive dg bag on the market (Golf Mahal) is still less than the least expensive entry level deck from Burton.

That being said, I dye discs, and therefore get a lot of new ones passing through my hands, and it's about the hardest thing for me to spend hours carefully dyeing them, and then putting them in a box and never throwing any of them at all.

This for me as well. I have discs that I bought knowing that I would never throw, just so I could dye them.
Many have been given to friends or to TD's for prizes, sold a few, and traded a few.
I've gotten the Ion nuggets now...

Latest posts