• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New course small town nowhere to buy discs.

peabody

Edit profile banner
Bronze level trusted reviewer
I did a search and a retail wannabe thread was all I could find.
Our mayor wants to stock some discs at city hall. Doesn't want to make profit for now just needs beginner friendly discs to sell at cost. He wants my advice and frankly I don't know if he needs to purchase a city hot stamped mid/putter lot or to have a manufacturer send a display.
Once the newness wears off most new players will order their discs on-line.
Don't want to see them get stuck with unwanted discs.
Any help would be appreciated.

Our mayor wants to stock some discs at city hall. Doesn't want to make profit for now just needs beginner friendly discs to sell at cost. He wants my advice and frankly I don't know if he needs to purchase a city hot stamped mid/putter lot or to have a manufacturer send a display.

Is there a gas station nearby you can contact? this is a pretty common thing I've seen in my travels. It's usually a better, aka 18 hole course, that I've seen this at. If you provided some more info it would definitely aid in you're responses. You're location is pretty important.

I would recommend they go city hot stamped mid/putter lot. That will work for the raw beginners and they will also sell some to people who have no real intention of playing disc golf. Attempting to have a "selection" is a losing battle- as you say, anyone who gets hooked is going to move to buying online.

Unless you have a local retailer such as a sporting goods store or gas station willing to take on the role of having a display (and investing in what will probably be a non-profitable venture), I would just order the putter/mid city stamped lot. Another good option are the 3-disc starter packs. I live in a small town with no dedicated disc golf store. The sporting goods store that went with a display rack hardly sells anything (most are 13-14 speed innova discs nobody wants) and the other shop bought all 3 disc starter sets and seems is always sold out of them waiting on another shipment because they can't keep them on the shelves long enough. Most people will buy online, but starter sets are way easier to offload than individual discs in a new disc golf area setting.

You could reach out to the manufacturers. I know MVP is responsive to bulk orders for schools for example. And I believe DD loves to run custom stamps

Is there a gas station nearby you can contact? this is a pretty common thing I've seen in my travels. It's usually a better, aka 18 hole course, that I've seen this at. If you provided some more info it would definitely aid in you're responses. You're location is pretty important.
West Kentucky and three small gas stations mostly Indian ( native Americans) owners. Three banks, one Dollar general, a corner drug store and two small restaurants.
Lots of through traffic but no schools or grocery stores.
Podunk is kinda the word I'm thinking.
Nine holer in city park with lots of chances to lose errant throws. Thus, a need for available plastic.

You could reach out to the manufacturers. I know MVP is responsive to bulk orders for schools for example. And I believe DD loves to run custom stamps
Yes since MVP baskets were installed they might work with us.
What beginner friendly molds would be best?

Yes since MVP baskets were installed they might work with us.
What beginner friendly molds would be best?
Looks like they have an Atom, Paradox and Inertia in their R2 starter sets. I don't really know their molds well enough past that.