• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Creating a new course

MaxFlight

Eagle Member
So I just bought a condo in a city that doesn't have any disc golf courses, which means it'll be about a 40 minute drive every time I want to play... Not ideal.

I was wondering how I would go about petitioning to getting some baskets installed in a park in my new hood. I'm not looking to create a world class course or anything, just a simple 9 basket short course. Teepads wouldn't be necessary either, but perhaps down the line...

Anyways, I was wondering if y'all have experience working with the city to make this happen? What hoops would I need to jump through, and what potential setbacks might I encounter?

Any info is MUCH appreciated!

So I just bought a condo in a city that doesn't have any disc golf courses, which means it'll be about a 40 minute drive every time I want to play... Not ideal.

I was wondering how I would go about petitioning to getting some baskets installed in a park in my new hood. I'm not looking to create a world class course or anything, just a simple 9 basket short course. Teepads wouldn't be necessary either, but perhaps down the line...

Anyways, I was wondering if y'all have experience working with the city to make this happen? What hoops would I need to jump through, and what potential setbacks might I encounter?

Any info is MUCH appreciated!

I have helped to alter a course, and been in the very early stages of installing one. So there will probably be more informed takes, but in my experience what you need to do is locate a parks and recreation director or whoever is in charge of that department in your city or county.

Then work with them to identify a space that is at least 12 acres and is identified as a "passive recreation" space. These are lands that either due to size/shape/proximity to flood plane the are not able to be "active recreation" spaces(soccer, baseball, football etc fields).

Then work with or create a local club to raise funds and make some sort of arrangement with the city for labor/remaining funds. One club I've worked with basically has an agreement that as long as everything is up to safe they can do whatever they want out there as long as they fund it and the county cuts the grass and drags off any trees that fall.

where is this?

there may be activity closer than you think. find out where the closest clubs are.

White Rock, British Columbia in Canada.
There are plenty of courses in nearby cities such as Langley, East Vancouver, Burnaby ect... But nothing really out this way.

I want to soon be in the process of moving the Course from a Park where all the challenging holes are gone well 95% of them and the course would be a 12 hole course at best at best and worst with all changes a 9hole course. I want to get the holes affected by the major change of the Water Treatment plant and if two holes are affected by a new bridge are and see with the city where we can put in a course in the town I live in in another place. I also have for the last year been looking at different cheap but able to be permanent baskets should the city allow us to have at least 9 hole and getting just 1-4 more baskets or more if they allow a full 18. So far I have one model in mind from Innova that would work the Discatcher sport 24 chain and getting some bases used for umbrellas for the old baskets as I am sure the city would not want to fully remove the old basket bases in a large concrete square and move those bases. You need this for the bases in my area or the baskets like up at Powerhouse Ally in Oahe Downstream state rec/park are did tip after 8-9 years, this was right before the flood the baskets had to be righted to straight due tipping that bad.

Last edited:
Casey that sounds like a good idea. You should check out that contest as well on Dynamic Discs Facebook page. You could win 18 baskets and maybe get 9 for your course upgrade idea and an additional 9 for another course in town! Doesn't hurt to think about it. Cheers.

One of the pitches I used 20 years ago when I helped to get a couple of courses put in was to tout the benefits a Disc Golf course will bring for the whole recreation experience and for the well-being of the park. For starters, 72 people can experience recreation on an 18-hole course much more inexpensively than lots of other options. I used tennis. One court is more expensive than a DG course but only 4 can participate, for example.

Secondly, it increases foot traffic in back areas of parks where illicit activity can no longer hide from view.

A third point that exists now that didn't in 1999 is how this sport has blown up in popularity. I had to convince people back then how this wasn't a fad. Today there are ten times as many people playing DG according to PDGA memberships! But I did have data on my side that showed good growth every year since baskets first went in the ground in the mid-1970's.

Don't forget to explain why the sport is gaining such popularity. It's an awesome sport unlike any other. We get to choose differing projectiles based on the need before us. Only fishing comes to mind in this regard with its lures. The Discs themselves are beloved by their owners, and the catching baskets are a novel and interesting twist on where sporting projectiles are destined. Factor this in with the relative inexpensive nature of the game for both player and park and this game is destined to be one of the big past times.

Don't forget that maintenance is relatively low and lots of it is done by local enthusiasts.

It's a great recreation bang for the buck for parks departments. I used to think back then we'd eventually have a course in every small town like there are tennis and basketball courts and baseball/softball fields. It's happening now before our very eyes!

Go get 'em!

Nice man, I'm really curious to see who submits what to the contest. I'm sure they'll release some of the cool ideas people present!

Udisc shows a new course in Blaine, WA

Yep, that's over the border... Would rather not have to cross the border to play. Not even possible right now in Covid times....
Would be easier to just drive the 40mins to a closer local course.

I'm not looking for work-arounds.... I want to get a new course built!

One of the pitches I used 20 years ago when I helped to get a couple of courses put in was to tout the benefits a Disc Golf course will bring for the whole recreation experience and for the well-being of the park. For starters, 72 people can experience recreation on an 18-hole course much more inexpensively than lots of other options. I used tennis. One court is more expensive than a DG course but only 4 can participate, for example.

Secondly, it increases foot traffic in back areas of parks where illicit activity can no longer hide from view.

A third point that exists now that didn't in 1999 is how this sport has blown up in popularity. I had to convince people back then how this wasn't a fad. Today there are ten times as many people playing DG according to PDGA memberships! But I did have data on my side that showed good growth every year since baskets first went in the ground in the mid-1970's.

Don't forget to explain why the sport is gaining such popularity. It's an awesome sport unlike any other. We get to choose differing projectiles based on the need before us. Only fishing comes to mind in this regard with its lures. The Discs themselves are beloved by their owners, and the catching baskets are a novel and interesting twist on where sporting projectiles are destined. Factor this in with the relative inexpensive nature of the game for both player and park and this game is destined to be one of the big past times.

Don't forget that maintenance is relatively low and lots of it is done by local enthusiasts.

It's a great recreation bang for the buck for parks departments. I used to think back then we'd eventually have a course in every small town like there are tennis and basketball courts and baseball/softball fields. It's happening now before our very eyes!

Go get 'em!

Great insight! I'll make sure to put these notes in the package I present to the park board.

Yep, that's over the border... Would rather not have to cross the border to play. Not even possible right now in Covid times....
Would be easier to just drive the 40mins to a closer local course.

I'm not looking for work-arounds.... I want to get a new course built!

K. I figured as much. I guess I'm lucky enough to have a course 1/2 mile from my house (which was my spark to play in the first place).

Up until 2 months ago I had an airport adjacent to my property. It recently got voted down and now its public land... The perimeter is wooded and might be a good spot for a new course... Hmmm...