• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf Prodigy

I-see-what-you-did-there.png

Word on the street is that the pros aren't happy with the stability of the D1 so far, they want something more over-stable, and Prodigy will probably deliver it when they get a chance. Also heard that they have more injection molding machines than Discraft, Phil Arthur is doing much of the disc production work himself, and they bought a ton of plastic supply (so should be consistent for a while). Some of Prodigy's pros are signing sponsorships with Legacy since Prodigy can't be exclusive without a full bag, so they're being hooked up with putters (Clozer, in particular), I heard Devan Owens, Ricky Wysocki, and even Nikko Locastro might do so.

JHern, you never fail to deliver do you?

I don't know if they've got a handle on their process quite yet. DGCR has put up pictures of short shot molded discs from Prodigy.

Threw a D1 a few times today. They are ok, but nothing that super impressed me. The feel of the plastic is really nice, but after 1 tree branch hit scuffed it pretty good

CameraZOOM-20130202172341561_zps0b74c377.jpg

JR said:
Comparative distance to other long fast discs and glide evaluation please :) Also when you get more experience i'd like to know how they fare in different wind directions an speeds.

For me the D4 is in the neighborhood of other wide-winged drivers, like Cannon, Katana, domey Pro Destroyer, etc.. It turns over a lot new at 400' power, and I don't know if this is going to be good thing when it gets a bit more seasoned. The other day I threw a buddy's Icon Cannon that was ultra-gummy and turned over a great deal at 167g, I think that is probably the longest disc I've thrown so far.

The more i've field tested discs the less i like flippy discs like Sidewinders, light Vulcans or even max weighted ones that aren't really top flight long, my super quickly and easily broken in Rampages and a Cannon, Katanas of the flippy kind, the majority of Kings and a slew of Blizzards. I have different weight and shaped Zero G Quasars and the lighter one with the higher PLH is much more HSS and controllable and looong. Guess which one i use? The D4 sounds like it falls into that category and i've donated many of those kinds of discs away because i have little use for them. Control and reliability across different conditions over distance for me. That is why i'm more interested in the D3. Maybe the D2 also.

turso said:
In that case I guess I need to give em a year or two to stabilise before judging their stuff.

Yeah, like when MVP made their first production run Ions with the mis-aligned black outer rubber that partially obscured the bead making their flight less stable than intended. Now they call those Anodes. Good grief, today MVP is the end all on that other site for the tops in quality control. Plz, we're talking about plastic that changes flight to some degree after every tree hit. I guess *D, *DS, SDS, vulcan topped, and ehco star destroyers all fly the same too :roll:

Anyone thrown the D2 or D3 yet? I'm thinking of picking one or two of the prodigy drivers up but can't really figure out which one I should go for. I throw around 350-380 using a Latitude Bolt/Flow. Would love a review on either of those two discs, I'm thinking about one in their 400-plastic, seems to be pretty similiar to latitudes opto-line which I really like.

Neither has landed around these parts but the plastic on First Run D1 and D4 is soft and tacky. Unlike any plastic that Latitude makes. The closest match would be a more flexing tackier Opto Pure. Much like Prodiscus Premium Slaidi but IIRC a hair tackier.

The first run D1 and D4 plastic reminded me of Opto with soft Starburst candy added to it. Unlike any other plastic blend out there...not sure if that is a good thing or not though.

Latest posts