• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf Roadtrip

SoonerDisc

Anybody ever just take a roadtrip to see how many courses you can play in a days drive? i am thinking of doing this from the tidewater area to richmond. anybody have any must play courses in richmond, va area?:D

I've done several of these trips. I've gone from my home in suburban Washington DC to my brohter's house in Raleigh and hit 6 courses on the way down and 7 on the way back up. I've also done day trips to PA, DE and VA and played 6 to 7 courses in a day.

I second biscoe's recommendation of bryan in Richmond, one of my favorite courses in the mid atlantic.

I know I could do some road trips that would reach double digits, but my body would pay for it. The most I have played was this weekend. I played 7 courses (all new to me) but the first was 1 hour from my house and the last was still an hour from my house plus I had to be home by 2:30 to go out for Mothers Day. I left at 5:45 AM and finished about 1. I played the first course in the poruing rain 18 holes, then the next course I played was a 9 holer but only a few minutes from the first course, then the third course was also only a couple minutes away and I played all 20 holes (one disc from each tee however). Then I had about a 15 mihute drive to another 18 holer. Another 20 minutes drive to a 9 holer, another 10 minutes back to another 9 holer, and finally a 20 minute drive to a final 9 holer.

That means I played 7 courses and 112 holes between 6:45 AM and 1PM. If I wanted to go all day I could but I would hurt. I was shot after that barrage especially because the ground was wet everywhere I played and I was drenched after the first course, and my feet were soaked after the third course because I had to walk through massive puddles and streams to some of the holes.

Regardless I will go on another trip the next weekend day I have an opportunity.

My friends and I took a 12 day trip from Columbus, OH, to southern California. We played courses in Phoenix, Az, San Diego, CA, Oceanside, CA, Long Beach, CA, La Mirada, CA, and Ventura (Lake Casitas), CA. We got to play some great course, and meet some great people along the way. Planning another trip in October, hoping to hit up some of the courses in southern Utah and northern California this time.

I take my bag with me every time I leave town (even on the plane - security people love to ask what's in that bag). My wife just knows that any planned vacation or trip includes me mapping out the local area courses to play. Also, my friends and I plan multiple trips a year to other cities (Owensboro, Bowling Green, Huntsville, Knoxville/Oak Ridge, and Chattanooga) from Nashville, TN. Play as many as you can, playing the same courses over and over in my opinion gets boring.

Anybody ever just take a roadtrip to see how many courses you can play in a days drive? i am thinking of doing this from the tidewater area to richmond. anybody have any must play courses in richmond, va area?:D

I think my best was a drive from richmond to the jersey shore, went threw delaware and over the ferry to wildwood, play i think 9 that day, teamed that with 3 the next day and, i think 4 on the way back home. I'll put that to shame if my plan for the end of the month road trip goes to plan.

As for the richmond area, i'm bias but if bryan and dorey are the best then then the fact that White bank(http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=2564) has been called a mix of the two means it must be a sure thing ;).

I take my bag with me every time I leave town (even on the plane - security people love to ask what's in that bag). My wife just knows that any planned vacation or trip includes me mapping out the local area courses to play. Also, my friends and I plan multiple trips a year to other cities (Owensboro, Bowling Green, Huntsville, Knoxville/Oak Ridge, and Chattanooga) from Nashville, TN. Play as many as you can, playing the same courses over and over in my opinion gets boring.

I always bring my discs when I travel--I am on an average of 4 planes a week...

I get my bag searched about 85% of the time because some of the discs look like metal on the x-ray machine and it freaks them out...

It's always fun to explain the sport and it great when I run into a fellow DG player...

I always bring my discs when I travel--I am on an average of 4 planes a week...

I get my bag searched about 85% of the time because some of the discs look like metal on the x-ray machine and it freaks them out...

It's always fun to explain the sport and it great when I run into a fellow DG player...
That's funny. I thought I would have a problem with TSA but haven't....yet. *gulp* I just jinxed myself, didn't I?

BTW Thanks for the kind review on Coyote Point. I know I'm biased because it's my home course so its nice to see that other people enjoy it too.

That's funny. I thought I would have a problem with TSA but haven't....yet. *gulp* I just jinxed myself, didn't I?

BTW Thanks for the kind review on Coyote Point. I know I'm biased because it's my home course so its nice to see that other people enjoy it too.

When we took our road trip every time we checked into a hotel the bellboy would ask about my discs. It was always something like "why do you have so many Frisbees?". I would always just chuckle and then take a few minutes to promote the sport.

I was out in Cali in Jan. and played coyote point. I would say this is bar far the best and most challenging course I have played so far and I can't wait to get back out there.

I LOVED that course...wish I was closer....but any time I'm going up the coast, I'll make the time...

Hole 3 tee of is such a cool vibe....

In fact, I just got back from our second annual excursion to the Wisconsin Northwoods to stay and play at Highbridge Hills. We were up there for about 6 days and played all 4-1/2 courses on site, and we had planned on hitting up Telemark Resort in Cable, WI, and Sandy Point in Lac du Flambeau, WI, but didn't even have time! Trust me, if you go to Highbridge and play the Gold course from Gold tees, I don't recommend playing more than that in that particular day (although we did, and regretted it so much it drove us to drinking that night!). Back when gas was cheaper we'd spend a weekend driving around and hitting up as many courses within an hour's drive, but I guess that's not really a "road trip" if you're staying local. My next planned trip (other than next Memorial Day back at Highbridge and hopefully playing those other 2 championship courses) will be to take the car ferry across Lake Michigan from Manitowoc, WI, to Ludington, MI...heck, you pretty much get dropped off at the three 24-hole courses there!

When we took our road trip every time we checked into a hotel the bellboy would ask about my discs. It was always something like "why do you have so many Frisbees?". I would always just chuckle and then take a few minutes to promote the sport.

I was out in Cali in Jan. and played coyote point. I would say this is bar far the best and most challenging course I have played so far and I can't wait to get back out there.
Good to hear. Let me know when you plan on coming back.

Next week I'll be in the Portland area and will hit these courses:

Day 1: Milo McIver State Park (Riverbend DGC), Vance Park and Rockwood Central Park
Day 2: Trojan Park, Skyline Golf Course and Lucky Mud DGC
Day 3: Horning's Hideout #1 & #2 and Orchard Park
Day 4: Pier Park, Glenwood Community Church DGC and Leverich Park

If you're heading to Richmond Bryan Park is a must, and you should probably take the time to play Gillies and Dorey as well. Goyne isn't far south of Dorey either and is worth checking out. White Bank is a nice park but only has 9 baskets (9 object holes as well) - if you're around for a weekend it's worth checking out, but if you only have time for a few I would check out the others (sorry gottafixit).

If you play Bryan it's worth taking the time to play rounds from both the golds and the blues. Richmond is a great DG town - you won't be disappointed.