• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf Rule Nazi Stories

Status
Not open for further replies.
Under the current rules, the toss back to a bag would need to be more than 2m to be considered a practice throw and receive a penalty. I still would highly advise doing it. If you were standing at your mark, then it could be considered a competitive throw and you would be throwing from your bag next.

Suzette, I might have overlooked this in the 40+ pages previously, but can you recollect and describe how Harris was stanced to reach his lie in the bush? He step in from the side? Front? 'Trample' or 'Push Aside' limbs? May sound stupid, but to me it would helpful, any idea what type of bush?

(Chuck, any chance you'll have a video out before summer?)

Suzette, I might have overlooked this in the 40+ pages previously, but can you recollect and describe how Harris was stanced to reach his lie in the bush? He step in from the side? Front? 'Trample' or 'Push Aside' limbs? May sound stupid, but to me it would helpful, any idea what type of bush?

(Chuck, any chance you'll have a video out before summer?)

Sir Putts

It was actually a low hanging oak tree branch directly in front of the normal 18 tee box. We were playing Wintertime Open hole 18, which goes from 17 tee to 18 basket and makes a sharp dogleg where this low hanging branch is located.

His disc was kinda behind and to the left of the low branch. He was attempting to throw from the right side of the tree. He was trying to back in and was holding the branches back with his backside. That is when one guy on our card spoke up and said he needed to take a stance that did not move the branch so much. Me and the other two players (we were in five-somes) all agreed with the player that spoke up. Mostly because Jeff could have easily taken a stance on the left without interfering at all with the branches. He eventually was able to take a stance from the right stepping among the branches without manhandling them like the back-in stance.

Again, I didn't make this call, I only seconded it.

I will see if I can locate this in the video coverage.

Noob question, I thought you could back in as long as you don't move anything or touch anything in front of your lie?

What if a branch is in front of your lie but it comes from behind your lie?

Last edited:
Noob question, I thought you could back in as long as you don't move anything or touch anything in front of your lie?

What if a branch is in front of your lie but it comes from behind your lie?

If you "back in", then you ARE moving stuff in front of your lie...

next time a guy calls you on a rule, look him in the eyes and screem "MY LIFE" then hand him your rule book.

If you "back in", then you ARE moving stuff in front of your lie...

Even if it was in the lie or in back of the lie or to the side of the lie, you aren't allowed to move anything that isn't a casual obstacle. A live, attached branch is never a casual obstacle. You can't back it out of your way no matter where it started.

Even if it was in the lie or in back of the lie or to the side of the lie, you aren't allowed to move anything that isn't a casual obstacle. A live, attached branch is never a casual obstacle. You can't back it out of your way no matter where it started.

Yup, and if you purposefully snap a branch, that is attached to a tree, that's an automatic 2 strokes and possible ejection from the event...without any courtesy or warning.

At a tournament a couple weeks ago someone said, "pro tip- keep your bag on when you back into the vines so they don't scratch your back". I thought something was fishy with that.

My first tourney I was nervous and on the last hole note I was leading by 3 strokes. I pick out a disc and then I toss my disc less than 1 ft to my bag he says he has to stroke me. I would still win the tourney, but I think that was just a little too picky for a REC player.

That's NOT A VIOLATION. Too many rec players don't bother to ever read the rules. They operate on assumption and wishful thinking. :(

That's NOT A VIOLATION. Too many rec players don't bother to ever read the rules. They operate on assumption and wishful thinking. :(

This is about the 10th time I posted this....

The worst thing about someone on here complaining about a call that is wrong is not only did the person making the call not know the rule, the person who accepted the penalty didn't either.

I've had an incorrect call made on me multiple times and each time I quickly got out my rule book and showed them where they were wrong.

In what situations would backing into a lie be acceptable?

For example, the area behind where you would approach from is riddled with ivy or thorns, etc

For example, the area behind where you would approach from is riddled with ivy or thorns, etc

When you are not pushing anything out of the way in front, and you are not pushing anything out of the way due to you backing up. Poor shots mean poor ability to throw your next shot.

In no situation would backing into a lie be acceptable. No matter what's there, you have to take a stance that results in the least movement of obstacles as possible.

The rules allow only that you can take a legal stance. A legal stance is not necessarily a preferred stance, a comfortable stance, or an ideal stance. It is simply a stance. If an obstacle is preventing you from approaching your lie from one direction, you approach it from another. If it prevents you from making a run-up, well, you don't get to run up. If that's a problem for you, the solution is not throwing your disc to that spot in the first place.

There is one caveuat; a "safe" lie.

I.E. your disc is next to poison ivy, and you are seriously allergic, or next to a gigantic wasps/hornets/bees nest, you play a "safe" lie, agreed by the group and no closer to the whole. I believer you can get 2 meters? There are some situations where that can come up, like a loose riverbank where you could injure yourself etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts