• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc golf shoes: Your choice and why

Keen Footwear...

I agree with the Keen statement. I got a pair of Keen Briggs a little over a year ago ( http://www.keenfootwear.com/product_detail.aspx?sku=1304 ) and I still use them. Even better though, I bought them on-line from zappos.com, not more than a month after buying them the fabric started to fray a little bit at the seems (apparently their BLVD style shoes are meant more for casual use than hiking/outdoor adventure use). Any way, I took some pics of the "slightly" damaged shoes and e-mailed them to Keen, they sent me a free pair of my choice less than a month later! And I am still wearing/using the originals for DG.

I originally wanted them because I thought the thick soles would last a while, and it's been about 15 months of use so far, plus a free pair that i'm wearing at work right now.

You get what you pay for!:D

don't know best DG shoes, but know the worst ones

do not play, as I have been, in that pair of sneakers that's gone beyond street wear and even painting shoes into DG shoes

they are comfortable, YES
they can take anything you step on or in, and still be comfortable, YES
they are made from lined polyester mesh, so they breathe & are cool, YES
the mesh also lets in ALL of the dirt on the course, so your socks are brown, YES

my fave shoes for DG are either Birkinstocks in the summer, or
hiking boots in the winter
forget the sneakers

my 2 cents
- nex

ive actually been wearing hiking boots, alot of the courses i play are in the woods and pretty trecherous so they are the best bet. for less intense courses in parks and stuff i just wear a pair of new balance x-trainers.

shoes

Bite shoes. Vibram soles, leather uppers, high top model, waterproof? not goretex.
I bought these to try them out after wearing the nike xcr for the last 5 years. the xcrs never lasted a year, but were great all around shoes, and goretex.
ive only played one round with the new Bite shoes, and inintial response is very positive. no hot spots, very comfortable, works well on concrete teepads and dirt, grass, whatever kind of surface. good ankle support which i need, fairly lightweight. the toe box is generous, something that may not suit a narrow foot. the shoe itself is a bit stiff, but to me thats a sign of a well built shoe, which will loosen up after a bit of wear and tear. the only factor i cant comment on is the longevity. if it lasts longer than a year then i will be more than satisfied.
lastly, trying these shoes on first is a must. i tried on the size i usually wear, but had to go with a half-size smaller which fit perfectly. some people may have similar problems. $85.

Just wear Flippers, Scuba Steve Style. Then you'll never worry about water hazards again!!!

try some turf soccershoes - with the small rubber studs all over the bottom
lots of trail running shoes seem to have decent traction.

Merrell Chameleon in any of it's various forms is a great DG shoe. The last pair I had lasted 2 yrs with a LOT of abuse and almost daily use. They are pretty expensive ($90-130 depending on the particular type), but you can't beat the comfort and durability. They all have Vibram soles, and many of them have oval-shaped treads on outsole, which aids the pivot portion of your drive. I have a pair of Chameleon II EVO right now ($120 at REI)...they are much lighter than the leather ones I had a few years ago, have more cushioning than previous runs, and have a nice GoreTex liner for dealing with water.

The only Chameleon I'd stay away from for DG are the slip-on, mesh ones...they don't provide much side-support and wear out pretty quickly.

Merrel's have been my choice now for the last few years, and I too have had the "toe" problem, since I throw forehand about 40% of my throws <depending on course>. They are definately more expensive, about 70-$90, but for my money have held up very well. I too, use the scotchgard spray on it as well to try and help with the water issue. I've found spraying it down when new, with a BIG initial coat, giving it time to dry, the hitting again with a second coat <not as heavy> works really well. It will NOT make it waterproof, but it definately helps for those rounds where it is damp.

jester-shoes.jpg

Maybe these can be the official DG Course Review choice of footwear!

I use these - sandals from Skechers with a rubber toe. They are great. If you get em wet it doesn't matter - in the summer it's great. And best of all, no "toe problem."

I used to play in cleats but after 3 knee surgeries I decided that was a bad idea. Now I play in very lightweight trail running shoes. If I slip a little I just remember that it's better than sticking in one place and over torquing your knee.

These are the current ones that I'm using now. The only bad thing about them is that they don't hold up very well on concrete. I will probably only get about 9 months out of them. The cool thing about them is that they're so light it almost feels like you're not wearing anthing at all. They're the most comfortable shoes I've ever put on.

http://www.newbalance.com/outdoor/trail/MR790/

I just bought a pair of low Salomon Exit Aero Trail runners which I really love. Lightweight, comfortable, and really grip. No more slipping on dewy grass for me. They're good for playing wood holes too.

New Balance MT811AT all day long. Lightweight, breathable and super comfortable. They also have a great outsole called "NDURANCE" which lasts longer then typical rubber soles. Very grippy on concrete too!

Latest posts