• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc golf shoes: Your choice and why

Summer time =
images

Winter time =
images

I haven't had much luck with DG , but VANS rock as my regular shoes.

North Face trail shes -- any of several models. The best traction I've had on the course outside of cleats (and cleats are awful for concrete pads). I actually prefer natural teepads b/c then I can wear cleats, which have great grip everywhere. But if you have to throw on both teepads and on fairways/from rough, etc... then I've found the North Face line to be excellent. Not sure about durability, since I play so intermittently that I'm not a great test case for shoe abuse.

I'm following this up to say that the North Face shoes I got back in the late summer have been the least durable shoes I've ever purchased. Falling apart all over the place. Fortunately, got them on clearance somewhere, so not much of a $ loss, but I'm still very disappointed. I've since talked with other disc golfers who have had North Face shoes and have had durability issues. So I'd stay away from the North Face line for disc golf shoes. (or if you do get them, purchase them at REI as a member and plan to take advantage of their return/replacement policy).

Since I tend to double up (36) on woods courses with elevation changes in all kinds of weather, comfort, traction and ankle support are my "must-have" features.

The best shoe that I've found to date; Lowa AL-X 88 (now 89), which is pricey even when you can find it 1/2 off. Unfortunately my last pair of mids was swiped, and my low-cut version just doesn't have the lateral support.
I actually tried some Merrill mids last weekend but there was no comparision in the comfort department. I'll probably try the Keen Targhee II and Asolo FSN's next.

Northface Hedgehogs with Gortex lining. I love them! I'd feel naked playing disc golf without them.

Hedgehogs all the way

Northface Hedgehogs with Gortex lining. I love them! I'd feel naked playing disc golf without them.

I got mine at Cabella's for about 100. I have had no durability issues whatsoever and trust me, they get the heck used out of them. I highly recommend them for disc golf. They are great on concrete tees and dirt tees alike.

Merrell Chameleon in any of it's various forms is a great DG shoe. The last pair I had lasted 2 yrs with a LOT of abuse and almost daily use. They are pretty expensive ($90-130 depending on the particular type), but you can't beat the comfort and durability. They all have Vibram soles, and many of them have oval-shaped treads on outsole, which aids the pivot portion of your drive. I have a pair of Chameleon II EVO right now ($120 at REI)...they are much lighter than the leather ones I had a few years ago, have more cushioning than previous runs, and have a nice GoreTex liner for dealing with water.

The only Chameleon I'd stay away from for DG are the slip-on, mesh ones...they don't provide much side-support and wear out pretty quickly.

I second the Merrell suggestion, I wear the Moab XCR Goretex:D

i found some Everest hiking boots (mid cut) at Kohl's of all places. i've been wearing them for 6 months now and they have really held up very well. rain, mud, little snow (one time i'm in georgia) my feet are always dry, and i never have problems with grip.

I just bought some Salomon Snowclogs, I haven't had a chance to use them yet but I'm think they are going to be awesome.
1. they're slip-on.
2. They have a ton of tread.
3. They're water proof.
4. they're made by salomon

Just found these at the mall on sale for $49.98 plus tax... not too bad.

Can't wait to try them out on the course. I'm really picky about my shoes fitting great. I probably try on at least 10 pairs of shoes on average before ever being totally satisified. These felt great right out of the box. They're water proof and have a great tread too.

Columbia Coretek WP.jpg

drywalling FTL...

I've put in some time doing drywall myself. Never very good at it, though. And stilts and Jim just wouldn't mix. I'd kill myself! :D Plus my form needs some work anyway and I can't imagine these helping my X-Step.

I currently wear New Balance trail running shoes, though the toe is wearing out on the right one after a few years so they will get replaced soon. Maybe with Merrell Sidesteps if I feel like forking over the dough for them. Proper footwear is critical in my opinion and I'm a believer in trail running shoes. Because they allow you to be light on your feet and are designed for outdoor terrain with good support. I also find with a running style shoe its easier to pick up either the front or back of your foot and rotate smoothly on the other part.

Latest posts