• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf Shoes

I used to, I can get some great throws in em, but climbing the terrain is difficult when there is rocks on the hills that you gotta climb at my home course. I'll wear em on flat courses.

I use my vans for the most part. If it is incliment weather or heavily uneven terrain with rocks and lack of grip I use my Evolve approach shoes(hybrid of a hiking and climbing shoe, think of a hiking shoe with really grippy soles).

I use em. From what I hear about all the really expensive DG shoes is that they wear out in a season or less, yet I rock out a pair of skateboarding shoes for at least 2 seasons before I get new ones. Also they are stylish, comfy, and are basically made to do the things we do in them especially if you play on concrete teepads.

I might have to try some. My wife just got me a pair of Keens, I forget the exact model, for our anniversary. I used to wear a pair of Columbia low-top hikers that were old and had a couple of holes, but they were like molded to my feet. I want to like the Keens, but they just don't feel right. The soles are really hard and overmolded all the way over the entire toebox, so when you push off your toes get crammed against a brick wall. I've played a couple of rounds with them, so I can't return them, but my feet start to hurt after 9 holes. They were really expensive, and I want to like them, but just can't.

Maybe I should try some Vans. They don't seem to be that expensive when I see them. I just wonder how they would hold up hiking around some rough terrain and wouldn't your feet get soaked if there was any moisture on the ground?

I don't get enough traction in skate shoes. Some of the courses that I play are grass tee's and have uneven rocky terrain. I just don't find falling down and sliding to be a part of my disc golf game.

No chance in Michigan. A good pair of Merrel hikers with a super aggresive tread. Work well on cement and tear up terrain. They fit my feet well, waterproof, wear well and are still pretty light weight. I go through about a pair a year, but that is with regular use as well. Treat your feet right, they will treat you right.

i killed a pair of reebok zigs and almost killed a pair of new balance, i'm giving the keens a shot. they look and feel like they will last but i haven't gotten to play in them yet. got them yesterday and then this thread starts.:hfive:

vans are not a real skate shoe practical for disc golf use. Ive had a pair of Globes for over 2 years ($30 at Marshalls) that were sprayed with 3m scotch guard for water protection. Design is very important to look at from single, double or tripple stitches, plasticity or rubber feeling, bottom sole pad molding and texture as like many have said they can be slippery if not designed like a tire tread but more mosaic like (vans style) Here in MN we have allllll conditions and terrain but there shoes never let me down and also offer great support. We play on concrete, dirt and grass atleast 3 times a week and even some slight winter use when boots aren't needed.

GLCVBGY-2.jpg
good shoe besides single toe stitching on front rubber where shoes often peel apart- never buy a shoe that is only glued.

Last edited:
Ive always played in running shoes like asics or new balance. They tear up pretty quick but they cost a lot less than a hiking shoe. I've been wanting to try some keen or merrill trail running shoes, if they last longer it will be worth it.

You aren't going to find any shoe with better traction on cement than skate shoes unless you apply a sheet of silly putty to the bottom of your shoe or something.

I got some older Osiris's That I used. I'll wear em on flatter courses. Otherwise I wear my AF1 by Nike haha. a little more traction on the crazy terrain. (not that I enjoy walking on it period)

I use skate shoes....i spray them with camp waterproofing spray, and i just played a dew covered round and no water came in...prior to the spray they'd let my feet get SOAKED.

I've used skate shoes for years though...I don't drag my toes so i don't need the extra toe protector. I have a nice insole in my shoe that makes them a bit more comfy. I have no trouble on grass unless it's real wet, but i have a pair of merrels that don't do any better, and are worse at sideways movements, so skate shoes win for me.

You aren't going to find any shoe with better traction on cement than skate shoes unless you apply a sheet of silly putty to the bottom of your shoe or something.

Do you have any issues on grass or dirt?

Maybe I should try some Vans. They don't seem to be that expensive when I see them. I just wonder how they would hold up hiking around some rough terrain and wouldn't your feet get soaked if there was any moisture on the ground?

I use to skateboard quite a lot and were buying several pair of skateboard shoes per summer.

Vans will be very comfy for sure, but don't expect any water protection at all as well as grip. The sole is made with pretty much no grip at all and as flat as possible so that you can feel your skateboard under it. Also, I suspect people like them for disc golfing because the lack of grip on the heel means you can turn more easily.

when it's wet and/or on rough terrain, I use Keen hiking boots/shoes and they rock for comfort and keeping me dry, but they sometimes grip way to much on the long grass and makes it hard for me to get a good heel turn (resulting in possible knee injury! DUH!).

I'd like some hiking shoes without much grip on the heel...!

I personally use Adidas Samba, the "indoor soccer" shoes, i wear it everyday, for A-Z reasons, it's my to go shoes, and i play disc golf with it, and a year and half the soles are still solid, no crevices, holes. It does get wet when it's wet outside and it becomes a bit hard, but after a few day use it'd go back to how it feels right before that. To "shine" the shoe's glory, i play 4-6 times a week 3-5 rounds per day. So it's really holding up good :) Just like Mickey D's slogan, I'm Lovin' it!!

Latest posts