• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc golf snobs

dave30

As you all know, most disc golfers are really cool to everybody. I usually meet someone new just about every time I play.

However, there are some of what I call "disc golf snobs"!

You know the guys.......you shoot a perfect drive from about 350 feet and he says, "I usually use a midrange on that one".....just to put you down for using a driver!

Or the guy who asked how you did......I was pretty good today.....shot a plus 3........He replies, "Yeah, not bad...I missed some putts..only shot minus 4 today!"

Then when you play him head to head and he shoots a plus 5.....he complains about just not having a good round today!....of course he usually shoots minus 4 or 5 according to him!

That is so funny. I was just thinking about this and then I saw this post.

The other guys that get me are the ones that think they own the course.

I was at my local course on monday and it happened to me. This guy who I always see there with his buddies is standing by the practice basket and the only way to get to #1 tee pad is walking by it. Well I'm walking by and he is telling me "heads up" and I keep walking then he tells me there is a basket here and I need to watch out (he is talking about the practice basket).

Well one of his buddies is about 250 feet out and is driving to the practice basket!!!

I couldn't believe it! He was trying to make me feel like I was interfering*. Not to mention it is where there are a lot of picnic tables where people meet up before a round.

Last edited:
There are some real d***heads out there. You just need to learn who they are and steer clear of them. Save your time for the good people in the sport

There are some real d***heads out there. You just need to learn who they are and steer clear of them. Save your time for the good people in the sport

Very true. It just sucks when people have to act like jerks when we are all there to enjoy the sport. I definitely do meet a lot more friendly players then the jerks, but for some reason they are always the ones that stick in your mind.

I've played hockey my entire life and it's the same way with that especially when yer new its like everyone sucks when there new I hate people who are snobbish/mean to newbs...coming from being really good at hockey to starting disc golf and being a newb it's hard

So many guys I talk to seem to be way better when I'm not around.

lol. it does happen. my most recent tournament, open shot a 52 1st round and 65 the second....
some are just straight up snobs and others know they can do better and are focused and in the moment. play with people that are within your skill set and you wont hear those kind of comments.

I feel like some people are just ignorant in many different ways... manners, etiquette, etc..

The other day I was playing on a small residential course which was packed and every group I encountered I had to ask to play through and then when they did let me through, they threw on me! I didn't even make it to my post-drive disc before they were yelling "Heads up!" .... needless to say I wasn't pleased.

However I feel like the vast majority of players are great people! Just gotta avoid the nimrods.

maybe that just says something about the vibes between you and that person, i play bad when i'm around people that i don't vibe with.

As you all know, most disc golfers are really cool to everybody. I usually meet someone new just about every time I play.

However, there are some of what I call "disc golf snobs"!

You know the guys.......you shoot a perfect drive from about 350 feet and he says, "I usually use a midrange on that one".....just to put you down for using a driver!

Or the guy who asked how you did......I was pretty good today.....shot a plus 3........He replies, "Yeah, not bad...I missed some putts..only shot minus 4 today!"

Then when you play him head to head and he shoots a plus 5.....he complains about just not having a good round today!....of course he usually shoots minus 4 or 5 according to him!

I've not run into too many of those types but what I like are the tourney snobs. Especially at a trophy only unsanctioned tourney like the one I play at Madeline Bertrand. They can't throw unless it is perfectly quiet and no one is moving. They play like they are going up against Phil Mickelson on the 18th at Augusta for the win.

Don't worry tourney snob, we're not laughing at you we're laughing near you.

Disc Golf has seen exponential growth over the nearly 25 years I've played it. A negative side effect of that is having a greater chance of a---holes inhabiting our courses. I can remember when it was rare to encounter a non-cool, unintelligent person, for there to be vandalism and large roving packs of casual players carrying a Disc in one hand and a 40 wrapped in a paper bag in the other; I would think those sorts of people seemed less inclined to try something as new as our sport was at the time. Being a "new game" meant that a greater proportion of its participants were enthusiasts for it. I sure miss that aspect...

...On the other hand, we have more than a handful of courses within a day's drive now, and better Discs from which to choose. So it seems we've taken many steps forward for the step backward in overall culture. I sure don't remember as much vandalism and a--holery in the first 15 years that I played it, though.

Fortunately I haven't run into to any rude or obnoxious players... But the thing I have noticed a couple times that seems weird is when I've meet someone that way understates their Game...

Example a week ago.. Myself and two others met a young guy at the course who was playing solo so we asked if he wanted to play a round of doubles with us. He accepted the invitation, but warned us he was a newbie that he'd only been playing a few months.... First thing I noticed was his worn Tourney Bag looked like it had seen a thousand rounds and was full of seasoned disc.. not impossible for a newbie to have a used bag maybe, even the disc..well as we started playing this cat is flickiing backhand hyzer, anhyzer, rollers, RHBH.. just smokin... and as the round progresses and were chatting he mentions the three different holes on this course he had Aced, this is NOT an ACE friendly course.. I sort of jokingly made the remark.. After three Aces he couldn't claim the newbie status anymore... anyway I could be totally off on my perception.. But no way did I buy this guy had only been playing a couple months..

Is this a sandbagger in training Just kidding .. he was a nice enough guy.

That is so funny. I was just thinking about this and then I saw this post.

The other guys that get me are the ones that think they own the course.

I was at my local course on monday and it happened to me. This guy who I always see there with his buddies is standing by the practice basket and the only way to get to #1 tee pad is walking by it. Well I'm walking by and he is telling me "heads up" and I keep walking then he tells me there is a basket here and I need to watch out (he is talking about the practice basket).

Well one of his buddies is about 250 feet out and is driving to the practice basket!!!

I couldn't believe it! He was trying to make me feel like I was interfering*. Not to mention it is where there are a lot of picnic tables where people meet up before a round.

I've warmed up this way before. There's nothing wrong with it. At least he gave you a warning that you might be in the line of fire.

Ha, this cracked me up. So true.

maybe that just says something about the vibes between you and that person, i play bad when i'm around people that i don't vibe with.

Pretty sure he was commenting on how most people over inflate their skills in front of others, then their play that day is sub-par to their boasting.

Last edited:

This is a great line. So funny. So true.

There is a well known local Pro who talks up his game like he is a disc golf god. While he is good he ain't no Climo. I have played many rounds where he talked about how good he was yesterday but I played one round with him where he couldn't miss. Everything worked, long drives and amazing jump putts. Damn, I thought, maybe he is God. So did his success give him any humility? Nope. Just the opposite. His talk elevated with every shot.

I wouldn't say I'm a snob, but I stereotype people real quick...I'm horrible about judging books by their cover, if you will.

Like when I'm on the course and there's the guy throwing nothing but Bosses, even to putt with, I just assume he's a gomer with no true interest in the game. Which is bad. That person may really, really love disc golf but just honestly doesn't have a clue...like any sport/hobby/what have you, disc golf can seem daunting to the uninitiated. I stopped trying to help people like that about a year ago when I had three or four bad experiences in a row, where I'd offer some advice and they'd just blow me off or get downright hostile.

At least I can admit it, but it's still pretty terrible. It didn't really occur to me until reading this thread that when I come strolling up on a course with my backpack bag full of discs and start playing, that perhaps I am the one who is intimidating newer players with my aloofness. Yet I'm also always preaching about expanding the game and helping new and young players along.

I'm a kind of an *******, eh?

I've played a variety of sports and hobbies over the years before I got involved in Disc Golf.
Trust me, there are people like the OP talked about in every sport.
DG is actually more laid back than a lot of sports than I've played, but snobs exist.

It's really a shame that pricks have populated the most laid-back, fun sport out there...

as far as talking about scores, there are different skill levels. my friends make me feel like a prick because i'm always aiming to shoot even or under. they always shoot over by a fair amount, so when i start talking about how i didn't play that well at +1 or +2 (usually because i miss my putts, incidentally), they basically start whining and tell me to stop talking about it.

just because someone scores better than you on an average/subpar day doesn't make them a snob. sometimes you're the snob because you asked someone how they played and they were honest with you, but you're an insecure little ****. Not you personally, OP. sometimes i get irked by my pals. and sometimes i like to talk about my shot selection strategy while i'm discing; bouncing ideas off people. sometimes i will throw a midrange on a hole where normally i'd use a driver.

i understand you're talking about going out of one's way to be a snob, though - not honest disc discussion on the course.

and as far as noise goes, i like to concentrate. yeah, you have to deal with other outside factors, but why contribute to the distractions? i won't yell at anybody for it; hell, i won't even say anything unless people are actually really being annoying, doing things like talking LOUD, busting out laughing, etc. and definitely don't walk in front of me while i'm putting, please. during a casual round it's obviously different. couldn't care less. but at leagues, i put money in the pot. be respectful.

other than that, i agree.

Last edited:
I've played a variety of sports and hobbies over the years before I got involved in Disc Golf.
Trust me, there are people like the OP talked about in every sport.
DG is actually more laid back than a lot of sports than I've played, but snobs exist.

It's really a shame that pricks have populated the most laid-back, fun sport out there...

I definitely agree. Any sort of competitive environment can bring out these types, and in many cases people who are normally easy-going can just get a little out of hand when involved in a competition.