• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc golf snobs

Very well played Sir, touche. :hfive::hfive:

XYKf5LA.gif

There was one guy, in particular. He'd always tell us how he was -10 to -12 and then when we finally played with him, we found out why. He'd drive every hole at least twice and then play from the best spot. If he ever missed a putt under 15', he wouldn't count it. When we made him play it honest, he was shooting right where we shoot.

A couple weeks ago, I lumped into a group of 5 after I found one of their discs. they had all shot a round right before...all of them claimed to be -7 or better. Somehow, I won our round with a -6, and only one guy was even within 4 strokes of me...and this is on pretty much a pitch n putt course.

I guess it just irks me. Be honest...I don't give a crap how you shoot if you're fun to throw a round with.

I'm pretty fun to play a round with,well actually I'm just a nutcase. However I can backup my -7 or better rounds everytime. I'll still be upset with myself that I didn't shoot better though. It won't ruin my round or somebody elses round or anything.

I blame my Comets and Wizards for me shooting good. :hfive:

I will agree though that some people do say that stuff and can't back it up. I guess they say it just because it makes them feel better or something.
I1SM0Xm.gif

This is one of the important reasons why I don't play organized DG anymore. Too many years of dealing with arrogant D-Bags. I have so much more fun going out to a course with my dog and playing solely to challenge myself on my own terms.

I guess it just irks me. Be honest...I don't give a crap how you shoot if you're fun to throw a round with.

I get what you're saying. I guess I find it more humorous than irritating. It's funny to me because it reminds me of the little kid on the playground, you know the "Joe Montana is my uncle" or the "My dad knows Michael Jordan" kid. Like the saying goes. You don't have to lie to kick it.

A couple weeks ago, I lumped into a group of 5 after I found one of their discs. they had all shot a round right before...all of them claimed to be -7 or better. Somehow, I won our round with a -6, and only one guy was even within 4 strokes of me...and this is on pretty much a pitch n putt course.

I wonder if those players are using the same "par" as you are. Sometimes players go by what the tee signs say, which may be the archaic, DGA/PDGA scale of par which turns 350 foot holes into par 5s. Sometimes players will make up their own pars within their own group of friends. So their -7 or better might be based on a par of 65 or something. Big reason I hate discussing scores in terms of plus/minus to par. Just give me a total number...that's pretty universal.

They counted everything as 3's when we played, so I don't think that was it.

I guess I'm just disappointed I don't get to play with better players. Or maybe I'm such an intimidating force that everybody can automatically add 5 strokes to their score anytime they play a around with me.

Yeah, I like that one. Intimidate. Dominate. Procreate.

Old guy sounds like he would suck the fun out of it for me. I wouldn't play with him. That said, I think mulligans are dumb. Why bother keeping score if you're going to play by your own rules? Just go chuck discs for practice/fun and take as many "mulligans" as you please.

Old guy sounds like he would suck the fun out of it for me. I wouldn't play with him. That said, I think mulligans are dumb. Why bother keeping score if you're going to play by your own rules? Just go chuck discs for practice/fun and take as many "mulligans" as you please.

I like to throw multiple shots and play my worst one

Awesome. Glad to see this thread got some new life. Really adds to the site. :|

I'm probably a snob. I try to be the guy who runs local tournaments and helps kids but if I'm focused while playing or practicing, I might not give you the attention you need.

^OMG ur such a snob! WAAAAAHHHHH. WAAAAAAHHHHHH.

This is what you all sound like :|

It is a fine line.

Lets say you are on the course playing with new people, maybe in a random draw pro/am monthly. You let go of a drive on a 325 hole with your Blizzard Destroyer and make the best drive of your life, making a nice S-curve and landing 35 feet from the pin. You are stoked. That is as long as you can throw and fairly accurate. Then the next guy...

Not Snob: Says "Nice Shot", and then throws his Magnet 325 to land 30 feet to the right. "I've been throwing my magnet 300 feet for the last 10 years :). You should practice more with Putters and Mids and you might improve your form, and your distance"

Snob: Says "Oh little noobling, let me show you how its done...". Throws their Magnet 325 feet 30 feet to the right of the Pin. "See how its done, real DGers throw their putters 325. Plus, I shanked that one and still did better than your sorry butt"

It is all about the attitude really, and there are certainly many of both out there.

As you all know, most disc golfers are really cool to everybody. I usually meet someone new just about every time I play.

However, there are some of what I call "disc golf snobs"!

You know the guys.......you shoot a perfect drive from about 350 feet and he says, "I usually use a midrange on that one".....just to put you down for using a driver!

Or the guy who asked how you did......I was pretty good today.....shot a plus 3........He replies, "Yeah, not bad...I missed some putts..only shot minus 4 today!"

Then when you play him head to head and he shoots a plus 5.....he complains about just not having a good round today!....of course he usually shoots minus 4 or 5 according to him!

im opposite. play with anyone anywhere. pause.

maybe its you?

I ran into a couple of guys waiting for their buddy at the first tee pad. They told me that this was the first time playing the shorts. At first I thought this was very strange, since the temps had been in the 80's at the time, and playing in pants would have been uncomfortable. Then it hit me, the shorts, not in shorts. Wow, was I impressed. Later in the round we ran into these guys again, and the buddy that they were waiting for had now joined them, and he felt the urge to also inform us, that they always play the longs, and this was the first time playing the shorts.
It seems that those guys were maybe a bit insecure about their abilities on the course, and had to explain to us how, even though they were also playing the shorts, they were still better than us because any other day they would have been playing the longs.

I ran into a couple of guys waiting for their buddy at the first tee pad. They told me that this was the first time playing the shorts. At first I thought this was very strange, since the temps had been in the 80's at the time, and playing in pants would have been uncomfortable. Then it hit me, the shorts, not in shorts. Wow, was I impressed. Later in the round we ran into these guys again, and the buddy that they were waiting for had now joined them, and he felt the urge to also inform us, that they always play the longs, and this was the first time playing the shorts.
It seems that those guys were maybe a bit insecure about their abilities on the course, and had to explain to us how, even though they were also playing the shorts, they were still better than us because any other day they would have been playing the longs.

what course bro?

Not Snob: Says "Nice Shot", and then throws his Magnet 325 to land 30 feet to the right. "I've been throwing my magnet 300 feet for the last 10 years :). You should practice more with Putters and Mids and you might improve your form, and your distance"

This is your example of not snob??? That's a really condescending/self absorbed attitude.

It is a fine line.

Lets say you are on the course playing with new people, maybe in a random draw pro/am monthly. You let go of a drive on a 325 hole with your Blizzard Destroyer and make the best drive of your life, making a nice S-curve and landing 35 feet from the pin. You are stoked. That is as long as you can throw and fairly accurate. Then the next guy...
Not to sound like a snob or anything but the throw with the Blizzard Destroyer goes only 290 feet? :D

As you all know, most disc golfers are really cool to everybody. I usually meet someone new just about every time I play.

However, there are some of what I call "disc golf snobs"!

You know the guys.......you shoot a perfect drive from about 350 feet and he says, "I usually use a midrange on that one".....just to put you down for using a driver!

Or the guy who asked how you did......I was pretty good today.....shot a plus 3........He replies, "Yeah, not bad...I missed some putts..only shot minus 4 today!"

Then when you play him head to head and he shoots a plus 5.....he complains about just not having a good round today!....of course he usually shoots minus 4 or 5 according to him!

Like many others have pointed out, every sport has them. Come to think of it, almost every job has them, too. I'm sure you've worked with someone who was a "One Upper" at some point. That's basically what a snob is: a one-upper. You could also call them Yeah-But-I...

Those types are definitely one of my pet peeves about humanity, but they're so rare in disc golf (and so unimpressive no matter where you find them) that it's hardly worth giving them the time.

The best weapon against that kind of undeserved self-importance is unadulterated ambivalence punctuated by a ridiculous non-sequitur. Look them dead in their eye-sockets for an appropriately awkward period of time, tell them "The top of my mouth is hot" with a face void of expression, about face and walk away. Dollars to doughnuts they're too dumbfounded to respond.

This would give their bravado nowhere to go would and cement your reputation with them as the weird newbie who may or may not be crazy enough to let the air out of their tires when they're out at the course. You won't, of course, because that's illegal; however, I guarantee they don't talk to you again. Plus, you're giving them a story to tell the rest of the tournament. Win-win. :D

I can honestly say that out of the myriads of people I have met through disc golf, I have never met a person who was not cool, let alone a "snob". I guess I have just been very lucky, and from the sounds of it, I hope to keep it that way. Being one of, if not the, youngest player in the club I'm in (Kanawha Valley Disc Golf Club), and all of the members I have played with have been very chill, and downright helpful to say the least! My game improved ten-fold when I joined up. Not to mention the free discs I have been given, and I think that it is very important to do the same for those who started playing after you, and pass that tradition of community down.

This is your example of not snob??? That's a really condescending/self absorbed attitude.

Yeah the correct "Not-snob"answer here is, "Nice shot!................................................"

The End.

Unless, of course, the newer player actually ASKS for advice. Then by all means, educate them.

Last edited: