• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf Tailgate/Backyard Game?

bcr123psu

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
Has anyone played a disc golf game along the lines of horseshoes, Kan Jam, cornhole (aka baggo), and fricket? Kwick and I were talking about playing something like this where you have two teams of two players involving two baskets, each 10m apart. Teams are split, one by each basket, and players take turns, each throwing 3 putters at the opposing basket. You get one point for hitting metal, two points for hitting chains, and three points for sinking the putt, with cancellation scoring in effect. You play until one team hits 21 exactly (going over subtracts points).

I thought I had heard of someone playing something like this before, but I have no idea what it's called. Any ideas?

This is similar.

zenbot said:
We play a putting game called baseball with 1 basket. You have 9 spots ranging from 20-40 feet surrounding the basket. These are the different innings. Each player throws 4 discs an inning (unless they strike out. see below.)

If you hit metal above the top of the basket rim you get a man on base.

If you sink your putt you get a run. If you have men on base they score too. (RBI)

Below the basket rim or a complete airball counts as a strike.

3 strikes in a row and you're out.

Highest score after 9 innings wins.

Interesting...ever play the quarter-based drinking game of "baseball"? Your game seems similar to this.

No, I haven't, however I have a knack for turning anything into a drinking game. ;)

We play a game called chains that is similar to the description in the original post except we throw two putts.

Baskets are about 10m apart, make is 3, chains are 2, metal is 1. pole doesn't count. higher points cancel lower points. you throw both putts successively. whichever team scored last goes first.

It's a lot of fun. I think we usually play to 21.

cant wait for football season to start so i can try some of these at the tailgate...baseball sounds pretty fun

I've always liked the basic putting game that's set up at some parks. Basically around the practice basket are 9 markers circling a basket. Starting with #1 at about 5 feet, and then going 3 or 4 feet back with each next shot. Just a putting game, can't leave one block until you get the putt, first one to the end wins.

I think I like chains...thanks esdubya. I normally don't like games called "cups" or "bags" or something fairly nondescript that only covers a portion of the game, but chains seems to have a nice ring to it (no pun intended).

I would just play catch/freestyle. All you need are a buddy and a disc!

I suggested it as an alternitive activity. I've seen people play can jam, it didn't look that fun to me.

Last edited:
I've always liked the basic putting game that's set up at some parks. Basically around the practice basket are 9 markers circling a basket. Starting with #1 at about 5 feet, and then going 3 or 4 feet back with each next shot. Just a putting game, can't leave one block until you get the putt, first one to the end wins.

We have this set up during the Battle in Seattle each year and it is a lot of fun. Would love to have something like this in my backyard. :thmbup:

Has anyone played a disc golf game along the lines of horseshoes, Kan Jam, cornhole (aka baggo), and fricket? Kwick and I were talking about playing something like this where you have two teams of two players involving two baskets, each 10m apart. Teams are split, one by each basket, and players take turns, each throwing 3 putters at the opposing basket. You get one point for hitting metal, two points for hitting chains, and three points for sinking the putt, with cancellation scoring in effect. You play until one team hits 21 exactly (going over subtracts points).

I thought I had heard of someone playing something like this before, but I have no idea what it's called. Any ideas?

Casey Blake and other Charlotte guys played this about 10 years ago, except they used garbage cans instead of baskets. You know, like a standard rubbermaid can. Don't know if they had a partial point for hitting it, or if you only scored for making it. They had some goofy name for it like "dropping bombs" or some-such.

We have this set up during the Battle in Seattle each year and it is a lot of fun. Would love to have something like this in my backyard. :thmbup:

Problem is, for cornhole; it costs 20-30 bucks to make the boards. Horseshoes; Two metal spikes. Washers; short fat PVC tube. Floppynuts; 1" PVC ladder.

All cheap, all store flat/small.

2 DG baskets? Not so much. Wish I had a pair, but....yeah :)