• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc golf vacation: Oh, WVa, Va, NC, SC, Ga, Fla

Nater42

Next month I am heading to Captiva, FL from Cleveland. I am going to stop in Appling and port charlotte for a couple rounds. I am stopping in Lakeland also. Please help with any other course suggestions. I do know Winthrop at gold course is on the way also.(I-77)

When? I will be in Port Charlotte in April. Thrembo, RussMB, and WJSHOOTER all live in Port Charlotte.

I-77 through NC goes by some very good courses. Yadkin Co and Highland Hills are the best once you cross into NC, both are really good, Yadkin overall is more polished with tees and what not, Highland if you don't mind roughing it and dealing with lots of elevation.

Of course, it also rolls through the mecca of Charlotte. Stumpy Creek is right off the highway and very solid, good elevation, mix of open holes also.

Bradford is there and I haven't played it but it looks like a really good one. Bailey Road is also right there and it's quick and easy, pitch and putt style if you want that.

Charlotte proper is inundated with quality, closest to I-77 is Hornet's Nest, Nevin, and Renny. Hornet's Nest is always a crowd pleaser, Nevin is brutal but fun and Renny is just an old fashioned beat down.

spotsylvania va (blockhouse complex, hawk hollow) and paw paw wv (woodshed and whipping post) are home to some of the best private courses anywhere.

Not going near cincy, that'll have to wait for another trip. I'll be near port Charlotte march 10-12. I would like to be at worlds this year, so what's the top 3 courses being played for pro/am worlds? What does it take to play at the private courses mentioned in va and wv? Does anyone know if it would be worth it to make 1/2 day detour to play cliff Stephens in Clearwater? I hear good reviews but don't know if my time might be better spent elsewhere? Thanks for the tips.

To play The Woodshed and Whippin' Post in Paw Paw, WV you just show up and put $5 in the can and have at it for 36 holes of fun (and pain)!

For the most extreme thrills you can play these 3

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=3640

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=950

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=1905

I can promise you there is nothing in Charlotte or anywhere else that can compare to the amazing mountain downhills you will experience at these courses....these courses push the envelope in fun factor...If you are out of shape I would stick to the flatter courses in Charlotte but if you want memorable give those a whirl

I tried to edit but the edit rules here are ridiculous.....I tried to edit out any reference to trolling Charlotte......nothing but respect fellas

I was trying to recommend some courses that are bound to leave a wowzers feeling with unique memorable plunging downhills......If I continue to dump my BS on you Charlotte guys maybe soon enough you will have a mountain big enough to compare to the courses I mentioned

If you like elevation and the technical game, you might want to hit this place (about 50 miles off I-77, just over the WV side of the river): The Timberdoodle Thicket

Neat private course with great hosts - glad I stopped there for a round.

Last edited:
I am usually the most active on here of the Port Charlotte area throwers, if you want to throw with us, or need a guide while you are in our area, pm me when you get down here and we'll work out the details.

re: Charlotte

If you're planning to play Worlds, consider finding which courses you'll be playing and test them out. Worlds is using a dozen courses but not everyone is playing them all.....it's something like each pro division plays 3 courses, each am division 4.

Winthrop Gold should be low on your priority list. When not set up for the USDGC it's not the same, and while still good, it's not nearly as good as some of your alternatives.

not sure if you're traveling through va on 81 or 95 (sounds like 81 if you're taking 77). if you are traveling 81 there are a number of good courses south of 70. i recommend poor house farm - martinsburg, wv, jim barnett - wincheter, va, and signal view - maurertown, va.

golden hills in blacksburg, va is also pretty good. it's short but very technical.

Latest posts