• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf vs Ball Golf

Oh. Sorry. You're probably a pro then. I wasn't that good; I never got my handicap any lower than 3. I guess if I was good like you I could have just done a chili dip. Silly me, I had to open my stance and clubface, and strike the ball quite a bit differently than a typical iron.

"Competing against yourself" is symantically null. What you want your "self" to do, is beat other people. I never saw a kid think it was hard to grab a stick and hit some gravel around; until I came and hit some gravel farther.

Dude, you've got it wrong. The term "chili dip" in ball golf refers to hitting a shot fat, usually in reference to a wedge shot around the green. Based on how you are talking about your stance and clubface, it sounds like you are talking about a flop shot.

And you are taking the "competing against yourself" too literally. Are you trying to say that you never try to beat your best score on the course, throw/hit a drive farther than you ever have, etc.? Trying to establish a personal best, even if it's not better than another player, is a form of competition. Geez....

I find it interesting that so many of the posts have been about how easy it is to make "par" in disc golf compared to golf. The whole disc golf par topic has been beat to death. DG has to admit the "par" is way too easy compared to golf par. Is it more approapriate to compare a 1000 rated DG player to a "scratch" golfer? How hard is to reach these skill levels. I know I'll never be 1000 rated.

I'm not trying to say one is harder than the other I'm just saying that comments like: "I've played golf for 20 yrs and never got par but I played DG for a month and got par" - don't mean much when "par" is so different.

Golf handicaps are actually based on 80% differential over the course rating, not par.

That's not accurate. Not in the U.S. anyway.

Best 10 of your last 20 rounds (nine hole rounds are combined to form an 18), adjusted based on the course rating and slope (and then multiplied by 0.96, because a golf handicap is more like your "potential" than your average).

Disc golf ratings are more like an average, IIRC.

I think disc golf would do well to invent some sort of handicapping system. Perhaps the PDGA should spend some time doing that? :D Part of what makes golf fun is that you can bet against your buddies even if you're at different skill levels. That's tough to do in disc golf, especially on a new course, because there's no real "slope" in disc golf's SSA system.

I think if you lived near Idlewild and played the longs, you would find your scoring and that of other rec players to be closer in line with your ball golf scoring experience.
And your point is? You've cited one course that might beat me down(and I'm a relatively poor disc golfer). I know there are other challenging courses, but "par" is usually much more in reach for the average disc golfer than the average real golfer. I have played many real golf and disc golf courses over the years, and my experience is that I typically shoot closer to par on a disc golf course than a real golf course. I would shoot like complete and total crap at Pebble Beach too, regardless of the tees I played, and would shoot worse than I already do on just about any real golf course if I were foolish enough to play the tips.

I think maybe I'm being taken the wrong way. IMHO, there's nothing wrong with the fact that disc golf is easier than real golf. It is how easy and cheap our game is to pick up and play at a casual level that is allowing the relatively rapid growth I've seen in the game between the late 90's when I started playing, and now. On the other hand, those low barriers to entry also leave people less invested in the game, and it seems as though they're much more likely to remain at "chucker" or "one disc wonder" status, than take it seriously enough to practice and play in tournaments.

Again, don't take my comments the wrong way, I'm not attacking disc golf, I love this sport. I just detest the people who use terms like ball golf, bolf, stick golf or whatever other foolish terms are used, and I know many of my golfing buddies (in both types of golf) feel the same way. Golf is the original sport, and should be treated with respect. Yes, some golfers are jerks who look down their nose at disc golf as a trashy, hippie-filled game of frisbee. Stooping to their level and attempting to sneer back at them (especially without much of a leg to stand on to do so) only proves their point. Instead we should honor the sport that gave rise to our own. That doesn't mean run out and buy clubs, it just means give credit where it's due. Golf has many noble traditions, from being a gentleman and enforcing the rules on yourself, to proper attire, to strict rules of course courtesy that are present in our sport at the highest levels, but sometimes are more lacking at the average disc golf course.

A couple examples from my round today. You wouldn't find a large woman in a tube top and spandex bicycle shorts on a golf course. It would be against the dress code (and for good reason!). You wouldn't have her hilljack husband wearing a sleevless shirt with a veritable forest of backhair pouring out of it, and jorts. You also wouldn't have these two morons and their brood of brats clogging up the course and refusing to allow people to play through. The course I played today is in a public park, so there is little that can be done about the way people dress except to be conscious of our own appearance. As far as course etiquette goes, the course has several signs up around the first tee explaining this to people who bother to read, so I'm not sure what more could be done. When they did allow me to play through(due to losing a disc), I tried to mention the concept of allowing faster groups through, and was met with predictable white trash hostility. Maybe I should have mentioned that Big Momma's disc was about 20' up a tree, instead of on the ground where they were looking, but I figured it would be good for them to let a few more groups through so I kept my mouth shut. Maybe not a nice thing to do, but when you tell me to "shut the f___ up Mr pro frolfer" I do tend do lose interest in helping you.

Anyway, I'll end my rant with this. Golf is played with clubs, hockey is played on skates and ice. Any other variations need to have a descriptive adjective in front of them to avoid confusion. Any version of a sport that requires such an adjective may not like the original, but should at least have the decency to avoid bashing the original sport. Sorry if I offended anyone. You're certainly entitled to say "Golf sucks" if that's what you believe. But if you say "Ball Golf sucks" just know that we as serious disc golfers are a HUGE minority, and most people will think you're a tool. While you may not mind that, just remember that you're probably the only discer most people know, and that you are therefore giving the impression that disc golf as a whole is played by tools.

And your point is? You've cited one course that might beat me down(and I'm a relatively poor disc golfer). I know there are other challenging courses, but "par" is usually much more in reach for the average disc golfer than the average real golfer. I have played many real golf and disc golf courses over the years, and my experience is that I typically shoot closer to par on a disc golf course than a real golf course. I would shoot like complete and total crap at Pebble Beach too, regardless of the tees I played, and would shoot worse than I already do on just about any real golf course if I were foolish enough to play the tips.

Idlewild is one of maybe 25 courses that come close to matching the par/SSA/course rating equivalent of ball golf courses. Compare par 3 ball golf courses to the upper half of our disc golf courses and you'll see much closer comparisons in scoring for similar skill levels within each sport.

I've shot very close to scratch during a tournament round in disc golf, and have played rounds that if they were in a tournament they likely would have been 1000 rated. The closest I have come to the course rating in golf is like 9 shots even though I have been playing golf quite a bit longer and had people to teach me that sport. I have watched the top pros in both sports, and the top golfers impress me much more in person than the top disc golfers.

I enjoy playing golf more than disc golf. The only disc golf courses that I would say even came close to being as much fun as most golf courses are for me was Selah Ranch and that is because they are the courses most like golf courses with a bunch of par-4s and -5s.

The flight, sound, and feeling of a precisely struck golf ball is much more satisfying to me than a well thrown golf disc. That is probably because it is so much more difficult to do. Also, balls go a whole lot further than discs.

Disc Golf is a horizontal plane where more emphasis is put on lateral movement. . . Golf is a vertical plane . . . where your distance covered is directly proportional to the angle on the club face . . .working the ball left and right consistently requires a lot of skill much like throwing hyzer flips and flex shots.

For the record I have had a golf handicap as low as 3 when I played 2x per week . . .and I am a 907 rated player who plays almost everyday (for 4.5 years). To me it seems there are many more natural athlete types in disc golf than golf . . . golf takes a lot longer to learn for most people and while disc golf isn't easy to learn . . . there are far more disc golfers that are naturally able to learn the sport quickly as opposed to golf.

Ball golf is much harder than disc golf. The practice time it takes to shoot par regulary at ball golf vs disc golf is not even close. I really don't think they can be compared. It takes people years to shoot in the 10-15 over range in ball golf. You can do that in 3 weeks in disc golf.

That is more of an issue of what is Par as opposed to abilities . . . but I follow your train of thought.

Ball golf is much harder than disc golf. The practice time it takes to shoot par regulary at ball golf vs disc golf is not even close. I really don't think they can be compared. It takes people years to shoot in the 10-15 over range in ball golf. You can do that in 3 weeks in disc golf.

You can not compare disc golf par and ball golf par. They are completely different concepts.

For what it's worth, disc golf par = ball golf par + 1. Per hole. Discgolf par is designed like "if you execute your shots well, it's a birdie" while ball golf is "if you execute well, it's par."

As others have said, ball golf ( and especially putting ) is waaaay harder than discgolf. At least technically. We can have much MUCH crazier courses in disc golf though. In ball golf the technic is so difficult that you dont need any more additional difficulties, so all the courses are flat and empty and boring.

You're from Switzerland and think all golf courses are empty and flat and boring??????????????????????????????

For what it's worth, disc golf par = ball golf par + 1. Per hole. Discgolf par is designed like "if you execute your shots well, it's a birdie" while ball golf is "if you execute well, it's par."

I think you're really close. If you have 3 great shots on a par 4 you should be rewarded with a birdie in either sport - if you have 1 not so good throw in there you should need another shot to make up for it, which is par. This holds true on most courses in both sports, however, disc golf is easier to execute consistently for many of us on here. Match that with a 200' wide open hole, and suddenly your birdie is sort of hum-ho because you should be able to place a disc under the bucket from there which is a great shot. But because on that hole, it's so easily repeatable, the 'greatness' of it is dampened.

But, disc golf has been aimed at new players and slower discs for a long time, and so the courses have been designed for this combination. Now, we have discs that go farther, and players who are more athletic, so the new courses going in should be aimed at this new style of play, which many of them are, but I'm sure when golf was just beginning (first 50 years possibly), there were many courses and or holes that they made very easy because there were not many people who had enough skill to play a hole like 17 @ Sawgrass. So, it's just a growth issue, where the players are outgrowing the courses, it's time for the courses to catch up.

The feel of hitting an iron inside ten feet with a wind in play is far beyond the feel of an ace that is basically just a long long Frisbee throw. Throwing to a basket is a lot like playing catch....purists will disagree, but playing catch gets you close almost all the time.

A golf swing on the sweet spot is a lot different.

Ive hit hundreds of iron shots within 3' of a pin. Getting an ace...even an cubby ace beats the feeling of all but 1 of those.

Did it infront of some of my Mom's work friends at a conference she was attending. Shot was from about 150 yards out when I was like 12. Hit it to 6" of the pin. The feeling of amazement I got from them felt different than any ace I have hit... Typically, however, getting a ball up onto a green and close to a pin, in my experience, even from 200 yards never feels as good as an ace. Probably because I usually miss that 3' putt anyway.

The difference that means the most to me is the courses. Whereas ball golf HAS to have greens,fairways and tee pads that a ball can roll on consistently for the game to even be possible, disc golf can(and do) have courses that emphasize the local natural terrain what ever that may be(think Buffalo Ridge Disc Golf course in Arizona versus any ball golf course in Arizona). Without the surrounding scenery one would never know in which state one was playing when it comes to ball golf, for they all are dependent on manicured grasses and planted trees. Disc golf can be played anywhere you place a basket(or denote a target...School House Gulch, I'm looking at you).

As far as the competitive atmosphere goes, golf and disc golf are completely different as well...

I've played with much more diverse personalities in disc golf than I have in golf. I've played in countless events, and most of the golfers have the same temperament (sp?). But in disc golf, I've experienced both ends of the spectrum. Not to say that I haven't met some real Richards in golf tournaments, but I've definitely met more in disc golf tournaments. On the flip side, though, I've met many more pleasant individuals in disc golf than I have in golf.

All that being said, they are both great sports and I hope to continue playing them until the day that I die :)

You can not compare disc golf par and ball golf par. They are completely different concepts.

Par in both is the number of shots it should take to get to the green +2. 2 putting in disc golf is sub-standard, and typical in traditional golf.