• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf. What's MISSING???

The game needs defense so it could be considered a sport.

Actually a defense is not a requirement of a sport. look at
Gymnastics, Track and Field, Wrestling

If you want a defense try Ultimate

(the defense is the trees and water hazards that block the basket)

Actually a defense is not a requirement of a sport. look at
Gymnastics, Track and Field, Wrestling

If you want a defense try Ultimate

(the defense is the trees and water hazards that block the basket)

if you wrestle with any defence, you're a dead man. ;) But I get what you're saying.

I dont see why a disc cap need be implimented? Your individual performance is not affected by how many bags Joe Blow is lugging around. You should be able to play with what you want. The 14 club cap in ball golf has nothing to do with disc golf; that is a silly comparison.
It should also be stated that ball golfers generally don't risk losing their clubs in water hazards.

Newbie friendliness. I'm still very new, but in the beginning I found it really frustrating that I couldn't throw the disc well at all. Having played some ultimate and thrown frisbees casually my whole life (though never being great at either), I thought disc golf would be much more approachable than, say, ball golf. I was pretty disappointed and frustrated my first time out.

Things that can make it more approachable:
  • Super class. At first I wish I'd just brought my ultimate disc, and I didn't realize that's a valid way to play. I would've enjoyed it much more.
  • Instruction. Because I started playing on my own, I had no one to explain anything to me. I couldn't understand why my discs flew the way they did or what I was doing wrong. A little pamphlet in my starter kit could've really helped.
  • Lessons. I still suck (though less than before), and I'd pay someone to help me, but I don't want to bug the locals. Nor do I want to go to the weekly mini and suck it up to learn. I'd like to improve myself in a non-competitive environment, because once I start competing, I can only take a few last-place finishes before I stop having fun.
  • Outreach. More clinics (PDGA, disc makers, local clubs). More disc golf in schools (my kids LOVE throwing ultralight discs).

Newbie friendliness. I'm still very new, but in the beginning I found it really frustrating that I couldn't throw the disc well at all. Having played some ultimate and thrown frisbees casually my whole life (though never being great at either), I thought disc golf would be much more approachable than, say, ball golf. I was pretty disappointed and frustrated my first time out.

Things that can make it more approachable:
  • Super class. At first I wish I'd just brought my ultimate disc, and I didn't realize that's a valid way to play. I would've enjoyed it much more.
  • Instruction. Because I started playing on my own, I had no one to explain anything to me. I couldn't understand why my discs flew the way they did or what I was doing wrong. A little pamphlet in my starter kit could've really helped.
  • Lessons. I still suck (though less than before), and I'd pay someone to help me, but I don't want to bug the locals. Nor do I want to go to the weekly mini and suck it up to learn. I'd like to improve myself in a non-competitive environment, because once I start competing, I can only take a few last-place finishes before I stop having fun.
  • Outreach. More clinics (PDGA, disc makers, local clubs). More disc golf in schools (my kids LOVE throwing ultralight discs).

I'll add to this.

Less dbags that hate when you come out 8 friends when you're new and all learning the game and make fun of the 1-2 disc type of guys. Even on here I see people act like aholes to newer players. I know it's not that bad, but it still bugs the crap out of me.

People need to stop complaining that the sport is going or trying to go "mainstream". There are a ton of people in the world that will love this sport if given the chance, and we all will benefit from their playing with us.

For all you haters of the PDGA what they really need is more money. The one thing that they should be doing now that I am not sure they are is going out and getting the big sponsorships. It is really all a matter of money. The recent ESPN article was a good step forward and things like that will help. Hats off to Vibram and their sponsorship to this point. With this a lot of the other things that have been mentioned might actually happen, including the "hot chicks", which is a less than critical thing if you ask me.

The game needs defense so it could be considered a sport.

I like this guy. lol. 5 posts and already cross referencing.:) Nice.

I'd like to see teepads standardized. Hole length posted. Course maps available at the course.

I'd like the the nubs removed from the basket. The rim of the basket should be smooth all the way around.

Pay for play.....thumbs up.

Scoreboards with fireworks that go off when somebody aces.

Poledancing cheerleaders would be interesting.

Getting kids and students involved with Teaching Pros....Inter school Tourneyies, etc.

Size limits to groups. I mean....sheesh....when 9 people are playing a hole....its like a roving picnic....and ends up being like you are in line to get into a Wilco Concert.

No footballs on DG courses.....saw this yesterday.

Actual regulations on how courses are designed. (More to the point: TEEBOXES. I can't even start to list the number of ****ty tees I've played off of.)

What is par.

Can't think of anything else right now.

I completely agree with the tees comment and I think this is something a lot of people overlook. If you want a disc golf course to be fun for beginners, advanced players and everyone in between, you need multiple (ie. 3 or 4) sets of tees. I think it's even more important with disc golf over ball golf because you've got a relatively larger spread of distances thrown. In ball golf, I would say most people hit the ball between 150-250 yards which equates to 450 to 750 feet, a 300 foot spread.

In disc golf, you've got beginners throwing say 180 feet and advanced players bombing it over 400 feet, only a 220 foot spread but since disc golfers don't get it out there as far, the meaning of one foot is more significant in disc golf and the need for more tee boxes is greater.

It truly takes a special course to be able to appease the beginner and the veteran.

im working on getting a disc golf club in my school, hopefully it goes through, the only thing in the way is the price of the baskets

I totally thought he was talking about something else for a minute:

That being said, out of all the ideas that I have read in this thread, hands down the best way to promote/advance the sport is to get high school and college level clubs organized.

*woops*

\/\/

Something that would help would be to get more disc golf discs at more main stream retailers, and with accurate flight charts and course directories. In fact, beginner sets should come with a course directory and the basics on how to play.

im working on getting a disc golf club in my school, hopefully it goes through, the only thing in the way is the price of the baskets

Doesn't EDGE give a good deal, if not, why not?

Latest posts