• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc golf winter gear?

Kent18

Bogey Member
Has anyone had any success throwing in the winter with gloves on? If so what kind of gloves were they? What other tips would you give those that hope to get out more this winter to be comfortable but warm? What type of plastic is best to throw? DX? Pro? Champion? Star? Elite Z?

ive seen people throw with a glove on their non throwing hand.

If I were to try throwing with a glove, it would be the palm only fingerless kind,

I just stick to glove on the other hand and bare throwing hand

My plastic favs are star and esp

we wear gloves, and then take the throwing hand glove off to throw.

seems to work.

My buddy got his glove stuck in a tree about 10 feet up after teeing off. As soon as he released the disc, the glove went airborne and he was stuck with a cold hand for the rest of the course.

Now he uses one glove and a hand/pocket warmer for his throwing hand.

I've seen a few guys wearing gloves, but I really don't think I could do it! I am picking about good grip...:D

I would agree that if you are going to wear gloves for throwing, I would get the fingerless kind. I have a set for summer motorcycle riding that are a textile material with rubber pads on the palms. They were cheap (got them at Sportman's Warehouse) and they have a "sinch strap" around the wrist. The brand is Wells Lamont "Sug" (sport utility glove).

I usually just keep my hands in my pockets between holes. Cold hands just don't release right! Or, just get one of those pocket warmers.

Garret

Last edited:
Don't throw with a glove on. It ruins your game and looks dumb.
I played all day yesterday, I wore 4 layers of thin clothing from the waist up, kept me warm all day and didn't restrict my movement. I have a head wrap/band that I wear around my neck, keeping your neck warm will help tremendously. I had thermal underwear and a pair of jeans with 2 pairs of socks. It turned out to be perfect for me for that weather. After a few holes you warm up and then all you need to worry about are your hands and head.

As far as plastic, I think DX is best, I didn't like my champion plastic yesterday in the cold.

I actually like the feel of my Champ discs in the cold! :) I hate the Star though -- that is my least favorite plastic...way too slick for my liking. The FLX and DX are probably best though, IMO.

Garret

I would not use a glove on the non throwing hand. hand warmers work great.

I prefer gummy plastic, FLX, star, etc and try to avoid stiffer plastic that will hurt your fingertips more like Z and Champ.

I also try and use slower discs. arm speed will be less with extra layers and slower discs will be easier to get up to speed and also hurt your fingers less.

I would not use a glove on the non throwing hand. hand warmers work great.

I prefer gummy plastic, FLX, star, etc and try to avoid stiffer plastic that will hurt your fingertips more like Z and Champ.

I also try and use slower discs. arm speed will be less with extra layers and slower discs will be easier to get up to speed and also hurt your fingers less.

That makes sense. The one thing I'd like to add to that is be careful not to change your game too much during the winter months. Using the high speed discs as if it was warmer will help you improve when you throw those discs next summer. Of course if you're playing a tournament in the cold do what's best for your game. I guess a balance of the two is what's needed.

if you're poor like myself, just try switching one sock between your two hands.

but when there's snow, be sure to use a material that won't let the snow melt and get in the glove. guessing a mitten would be the best for getting your hands warm quickly.

Maybe I'm just weird, but the cold never really affects me as much as it does my friends. Usually i go out with a layer or two of under armor, a layer of regular clothes, and maybe a jacket. I do have to agree that champ plastic does not feel right in the cold, so i use star/esp, and i try to use soft putters so they still have a little give in them even when cold

Maybe I'm just weird, but the cold never really affects me as much as it does my friends. Usually i go out with a layer or two of under armor, a layer of regular clothes, and maybe a jacket. I do have to agree that champ plastic does not feel right in the cold, so i use star/esp, and i try to use soft putters so they still have a little give in them even when cold

I'm about the same -- living in CO, I'm used to it! I usually put two heavy shirts on and just deal with it. I recently discovered keeping a hand warmer in your pocket works great too! I hate throwing with a coat on -- even a lightweight one, it kills my motion.

I actually prefer Champ discs -- in the cold, I can't grip Star at all. FLX is great too....

Garret

A couple of weeks ago it got down to the teens around here for daytime highs.

I still wanted to get out and play, so I tried throwing with a thin mechanics glove on. This seemed to work out pretty well, I was able to throw both backhand and forehand with the glove on, although I couldnt get as good of a grip as when I have no glove on.

Since I had boots on, and the tees were slippery, I had no safe runup option, so most of my throws were standing starts anyways.
This, combined with being dressed up like the Michelin man to battle the biting cold wind, meant I wasnt gonna be throwing really far anyways, so the gloves didnt really take much away from my game.

Still worth it to get out and play a round of golf in the snow. :)

Scratch the gloves idea all together... I've played all day today in 20's-ish degree weather with 20-30 mph gusts of wind with one glove on my left hand and I had 2 disposable heat packets in my right hand pocket. I was comfortable enough for 54 holes today.

Cold doesn't bother me too much, but I was thinking a tight baseball batting glove might work for throwing with, it would have grip and not be restricting at all.. Gonna have to try it sometime just to see

aj

I play in up here in Colorado and it does get cold, I have thrown using batting gloves and they worked really well. I bought a pair that had a little padding in the heel of my hand and thumb which were sweet, great grip, took about a round to get use to, and only took away a little d. Then I bought a pair for Wal-Mart, F-ed me up, no padding, no grip, too loose on my hand. Once it gets really cold up here again I plan to buy another pair, I don't worry about the loss of D b/c in the winter I just try to keep it simple and not do too many crazy things. I will say this if you throw lots of spike hyzers and forehand shots, gloves=bad, nice smooth backhand shots, glove=warm hands. Plus when everyone laughs then you pull off an amazing shot, you can tease about how cold their hands look!

If you have money to burn or just love winter gear like I do..

Patagonia Micropuff = the best DG jacket there ever was.. Extremely warm and light, doesn't restrict movement too much. Versatile as an outer or insulation layer. Expensive yes, but for me it works for so many outdoor tasks it is well worth the investment.

Loose fitting snowboard pants = stylish + allow movement while keeping you warm and dry. Usually I can wear these with only a light insulation layer underneath. I cut out the extra boot hugger thing on the inside.

I have some big REI mittens for the winter since they are easy to take on and off and will keep your hands really warm.

Feet: usually go with my regular DG shoes with extra socks until the snow gets deep, then I'll switch to low top hiking boots with sheet metal screws in the bottom with gaiters over top. Footing is my #1 issue in the winter.

Eyes: Sunglasses are a must when there is snow on the ground or it's windy.. If it's really cold then I wear ski goggles.

Drink: Bourbon

Some people just get through their winter rounds, I like to be comfortable. There is a difference. Just want to post here what I've learned over the past winters to help someone out.

Latest posts