• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

disc golfing stay at home dads...

Murdoc Loch

Par Member
my wife and i are expecting our first child any day now. she's going back to work and i'm going to be a stay at home dad. just wanted to see if there is anyone out there that's golfing with their baby and what thats like.

It's great until they can talk, then it's hit or miss as to whether you can continue :)

One of the guys in our league would bring out his kid in the stroller and they were just fine. Enjoyed the outdoors and hardly made a sound.

My daughter who is now 2.5 loves to go out with me. Just get them out early on so they get use to it. Take the stroller and go. I have one of those jeep strollers with big wheels and I take it all over my course. Some people look at me like I am crazy but it works. It also builds up your stamina. You play 18 pushing that thing around and when you play just 18 by yourself it feels like nothing. I also take her to field practice and I throw a bunch, and she plays. In between throwing sets we climb trees, play chase, etc. She also likes to throw some. A great time just us. She knows that daddy likes to take her to the park and looks forward to it. Anyways I haven't found a problem yet. I have a new born at home now but haven't gotten both of them out yet. We will see how that goes but I think it should be fine.

black udder said:
It's great until they can talk, then it's hit or miss as to whether you can continue :)

lol.gif

Hey...I am a stay at home dad disc golfer! For the first few months there was not a lot of disc golf going on because the baby needs so much rest and care....but she is almost a year now and is content to ride in her jogging stroller while I play disc golf. I get a ton of time to read this forum, bone up on all things disc golf through the internet. I got a Mach Lite basket for my birthday and that helps a lot too. I can get in a lot of practice while the baby is sleeping. I can tell ya though....being a stay at home dad is the best thing ever. The relationship that you have with your child will be unlike what it would be if you were not one!

My one recommendation when you take the baby out DGing is to bring tones of supplies, food, snacks, tons of toy, and take breaks to let the baby play around. Generally I can get a lot of DG in before she ha had enough and wants to go home. Of course naps are a big deal too, if your new baby is happy sleeping in the stroller then it is not a big deal, but if not then strategic planning around those is crucial. One other thing that my wife and I do is we meet at the disc golf park for lunch so she can see the baby and nurse her, and then I go get in a quick 9 holes or so. In general being a stay at home dad has slowed down a little bit of my disc golfing, but being there with my little girl is awesome and I would not trade it for anything.

PM me if you ever want to chat further about it, I have a year of stay at home dad-ing while tying to DG under my belt!

Chris P up in napa is a stay at home dad, a couple of days a week you can catch him playing skyline with a DG bag on his chest and baby backpack on his back :shock: man that must be a hell of a workout at that course

I stay home with my 8 month old daughter on Fridays. I've only taken her discing once and it went ok. She got a little whiny so I only got in 12 holes... but 12 is better than nothing.

I'm hoping she grows to like it because there's nothing worse than being stuck in the house all day with perfect DG weather outside.

I am not a stay home dad...but do take my kid(s) with me when I go to play after work. I highly recommend investing in a baby jogger. It was very helpful in getting around the course with a little one and still being able to play a full round or almost a full round.

BLURR said:
I am not a stay home dad...but do take my kid(s) with me when I go to play after work. I highly recommend investing in a baby jogger. It was very helpful in getting around the course with a little one and still being able to play a full round or almost a full round.

Baby jogger is a must... a buddy of mine has one and makes it all over the course except one hole, he needs help.. just grab the front wheel and someone on the back.. up you go

So, how do you guys land a stay at home dad gig anyway? Does mom make a ton of loot or just enough to get by? Do you do some sort of side work out of the house?

Jesse B 707 said:
Chris P up in napa is a stay at home dad, a couple of days a week you can catch him playing skyline with a DG bag on his chest and baby backpack on his back :shock: man that must be a hell of a workout at that course
Would think the baby would be in for a rough ride on a long throw... :shock:

I take my kids after work, my 3 year old plays/runs around and my 1 1/2 year old goes in the stroller. Sometimes the younger one gets crabby, so we have to leave (loud crying is generally frowned upon I have found). Sometimes the older one gets tired, so we have to leave. I would say that between 2 months and 18 months will be a great time to go and you'll just have to find a schedule that works for your kids. My scores are usually lower when I take the kids, there are just too many other things to think about, especially on a really busy course. Get a jogging stroller and make sure it offers some good protection from stray discs.

emiller3 said:
Jesse B 707 said:
Would think the baby would be in for a rough ride on a long throw... :shock:

I take my kids after work, my 3 year old plays/runs around and my 1 1/2 year old goes in the stroller. Sometimes the younger one gets crabby, so we have to leave (loud crying is generally frowned upon I have found). Sometimes the older one gets tired, so we have to leave. I would say that between 2 months and 18 months will be a great time to go and you'll just have to find a schedule that works for your kids. My scores are usually lower when I take the kids, there are just too many other things to think about, especially on a really busy course. Get a jogging stroller and make sure it offers some good protection from stray discs.
:lol: he sets him down to throw, the backpack is actually super cool, when you take it off a little stand pops out so you can stand it up on flatter ground. he did tell me that it tipped over once and the kid took a little tumble down a hill :shock: he was OK though

uNicedmeMan said:
One of my life's goals is to be a stay at home husband/boyfriend.
:lol: Way to have aspirations, my man. But I do agree.

uNicedmeMan said:
So, how do you guys land a stay at home dad gig anyway?
Marry for money. I always tell my wife that next time I'm marrying for money instead of love. Fool me once...

ferretdance03 said:
I always tell my wife that next time I'm marrying for money instead of love. Fool me once...

:lol: my wife HATES it when I introduce her to people as my First Wife... go figure.

Jaysus said:
ferretdance03 said:
I always tell my wife that next time I'm marrying for money instead of love. Fool me once...

:lol: my wife HATES it when I introduce her to people as my First Wife... go figure.

"My future 2nd wife is in 7th grade somewhere right now."

Jesse B 707 said:

Wow! No kidding!

Does he put the kid down before each throw? Hard to imagine having a baby strapped to your torso while throwing.

My son is almost a month old now, and ive already had him with me on the course several times now, to give my girlfriend a chance to get some rest at home. I live 10min (on foot) from the course and the bumpy ride in stroller helps him fall asleep. He has been a little upset a couple of times, and its hit or miss if its time to go home or if I can get him to settle down again.

I'm with a lot of you on these. I've been DG'ing since Fall of 05. My oldest has been coming with me since she was 2, and she's 5 now. My youngest is almost 3 and she's been going with us too. They're right, make sure you got all your stuff ready. Snacks and drinks keep them happy, but bathroom breaks and diaper changes can slow you down sometimes. When they can walk, it's a mixed bag. My girls usually try to hang out when we stop, so it's tough to get them going when it's time to move on. Depends on the course too, if it's rough or kid friendly.

Amen to pushing around a stroller for 18 holes. Try doing it on a ski slope course.....

I've taken the family out a few times. It's pretty fun to make it a family sport. My daughter, who's 19 months, mimics my throwing when I give her a disc. I think it's important to involve your family in what you're doing,and that they are there to enjoy the time spent together and not because they have to be there because your there. I hope that my daughter will want to take up the sport some day.

Latest posts