• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc limit?

Should there be a disc limit?

• Yes, 14 is plenty and would make things interesting

Votes: 43 23.9%
  • No way! I just bought a Fade Tourney bag

Votes: 99 55.0%
  • A limit, but not 14 - it's lame to copy ball golf

Votes: 38 21.1%

• Total voters
I'm with garublador on this one. There is no logical reason to limit the number of discs a player carries.

I don't see why disc golf would try to imitate club limits when the point is to NOT be as stuck up as ball golf.
The point is to go out and have fun. Ball golf is not stuck up... have you ever been to a public/municipal course? It can turn into a bunch of fat slobs getting drunk and crashing carts into trees. Or high school kids in t-shirts and shorts practicing for an upcoming meet. Country clubs and private courses are the snobby ones. But thats just like any big gathering of wealthy people. Screw them...

I carry at least 4 Aviars and multiples of other molds, too. Ultimately, I could get by with 14, but I figure if I'm willing to drag the heavy bag around, then let it be.

Not true , the PGA has outlawed many styles of balls, and club designs, because they feel they give an unfair advantage. The PDGA has also outlawed certain designs for various reasons. You may use whatever equipment you like during casual play, but you will be DQd if caught during tournament play.
A 14 club 6 ball limit has never hurt ball and stick equipment sales and i don't believe it would hurt disc sales. We all want the latest and greatest highspeed drivers, or the best plastics, and that's never going to change.
IMO forcing yourself to shape the shot, is more of a challenge than just picking the right disc. If you lose 14 disc on an 18 hole course you might want to try a new hobby.

Their is no limit to the number of balls. However in high level events you are only allowed to use one type of ball. You are also allowed to replace a club damaged during the round although PGA players don't allows have a spare club available. If they do, they get someone to go fetch it for them. I could see limiting the number of discs and allowing replacements for lost disc.

I say sure under a limit of say 30 disc for a PDGA tournament. Only a few players would have this problem and not just pro Players.

I have never really seen a player except one at South Dakota State Disc Golf Championships in 2008 get near this limit. He had 27 different molds, had a disc for every single type of stability from putter to drivers at 10 speed. He played in the division I was in, Intermediate and on last round he got carded with me. I told him that his game would improve if he used about 9-10 molds or less. I was at 9-10 molds at the time and am about that now 11 but the ESP XL acts like a Stalker with a tad more dump at end of flight.

A cousin has a bag with 30 different GT Bangor discs in Soft X and Soft Pro D and one Jawbreaker he was testing for when his Soft Pro D stock runs out but that is his back discs up for the ones in his main bag s well as using that older bag with GT Bangor discs for short courses with 99% holes under 400 feet. He got a Deal finding a bunch of soft Bangors on Ebay and since he putts with Soft Pro D and drives with Soft X he got the Stock as a person switched to Jawbreaker from those discs. Only 2 of the Soft Pro D Bangor discs in that buy were discarded as they were almost Worn out.

I say sure under a limit of say 30 disc for a PDGA tournament. Only a few players would have this problem and not just pro Players.

I have never really seen a player except one at South Dakota State Disc Golf Championships in 2008 get near this limit. He had 27 different molds, had a disc for every single type of stability from putter to drivers at 10 speed. He played in the division I was in, Intermediate and on last round he got carded with me. I told him that his game would improve if he used about 9-10 molds or less. I was at 9-10 molds at the time and am about that now 11 but the ESP XL acts like a Stalker with a tad more dump at end of flight.

A cousin has a bag with 30 different GT Bangor discs in Soft X and Soft Pro D and one Jawbreaker he was testing for when his Soft Pro D stock runs out but that is his back discs up for the ones in his main bag s well as using that older bag with GT Bangor discs for short courses with 99% holes under 400 feet. He got a Deal finding a bunch of soft Bangors on Ebay and since he putts with Soft Pro D and drives with Soft X he got the Stock as a person switched to Jawbreaker from those discs. Only 2 of the Soft Pro D Bangor discs in that buy were discarded as they were almost Worn out.

So who shot the better round back then in 2008?

No limit. Ball golfers don't have to deal with the possibility of throwing their clubs into an irretrievable hazard.

Well, unless they get really angry like this guy...

That being said, I don't mind seeing specialty events like ace races where there is a disc limitation.

LMAO!

What makes this so funny as I have been that guy. in my defense, I figured out it was a pond half way through the clubs flight.... "hey, those are cat tails, I wonder if there is "....splash!

It was a 5 iron... I hate 5 irons. That was the second one, I broke the first one ....i didn't replace that one.

Last edited:
Today I had 20 discs in my bag, granted that's riding heavy since I'm auditioning 4 molds, so I would usually have 16-

Played a fairly diverse course, with 4 par fours.

VIP War Horse 1- II
VIP War Horse 2-
Fusion Sheriff- I
Lucid Sherif- III
Elasto King-I
C Slab- III
FAF FB- II
New FB- I
Star FB-
C Exodus- I
RTP Stag 1-I
RTP Stag 2-I
Moonshine Justice-
VIP Bard- I
TP Bard-III
Stego- IIII
Hard Harp- V
Soft Harp- VII
Med Swan- VI
Megasoft Swan- VII

So that's a 50, which is I think -8 for that course. Had 3 discs I didn't use(though on other courses I do) and a few only had a shot or two since something else had of few of its shots due to their audition.

So yeah maybe a 20 disc limit on a course with very little water is reasonable. But either way it doesn't bother me too badly. A lot of backpack bags have a capacity around 22-24 maybe make that the cap?

Their is no limit to the number of balls. However in high level events you are only allowed to use one type of ball. You are also allowed to replace a club damaged during the round although PGA players don't allows have a spare club available. If they do, they get someone to go fetch it for them. I could see limiting the number of discs and allowing replacements for lost disc.

Heckuva necro bump, there! :thmbup:

Today I had 20 discs in my bag, granted that's riding heavy since I'm auditioning 4 molds, so I would usually have 16-

Played a fairly diverse course, with 4 par fours.

VIP War Horse 1- II
VIP War Horse 2-
Fusion Sheriff- I
Lucid Sherif- III
Elasto King-I
C Slab- III
FAF FB- II
New FB- I
Star FB-
C Exodus- I
RTP Stag 1-I
RTP Stag 2-I
Moonshine Justice-
VIP Bard- I
TP Bard-III
Stego- IIII
Hard Harp- V
Soft Harp- VII
Med Swan- VI
Megasoft Swan- VII

So that's a 50, which is I think -8 for that course. Had 3 discs I didn't use(though on other courses I do) and a few only had a shot or two since something else had of few of its shots due to their audition.

So yeah maybe a 20 disc limit on a course with very little water is reasonable. But either way it doesn't bother me too badly. A lot of backpack bags have a capacity around 22-24 maybe make that the cap?

I have 20 discs in my bag normally but that is 11 molds and I could get away with not using one mold My uphill/downhill putter. I would use a Soft Magnet for uphill/downhill putting until one of my Jawbreaker Magnets the more beat in one for longer putting shots is too worn in and substitute my close putter for the longer putting shots and get a new Jawbreaker for putting.

Yeah I say 30 just because most of the brands that make a cart that does not need a bag hold up to 30 discs, +/-2, Zuca Cart holds 30, Delta Cart holds 30 or so, Rigde Roller if not using backpack holds 30 or so.

Funny i've been sporadic for a couple months here and though this was a different (no poll I think) thread that was necro'd on the same subject just a bit ago. I was confused this is a different thread,

BUT

Same conclusion to this one. 14 seems a limit and I think un-needed but would be interesting. Anything more maybe 15 or 16... but more than that is no longer an actual limit.

I don't think there's anything to warrant PDGA to impose a limit for tourneys. HOWEVER, I would very much like to see some exhibition rounds before or after a big tourney with a disc limit for MPO. Maybe even have best shot doubles sharing a bag totaling around 4-5.

That's the other thing, a limit of 14 discs wouldn't change much for any but the most extreme maximalists out there - I bag more than that but wouldn't have much issue cutting back.

Impose a limit of 8-10 for doubles or about 4-5 for singles; that would be interesting.

Those putting with an aviar, wizard or the like would be in luck - they could use one putter for all putting and stable drives/upshots - I might be tempted to bring more than just my Dagger in the way of putters.

I've been on a few different forums, but never one that necro bumps as deep as this place.

Some of these threads are like two girlfriends ago.

Funny i've been sporadic for a couple months here and though this was a different (no poll I think) thread that was necro'd on the same subject just a bit ago. I was confused this is a different thread,

BUT

Same conclusion to this one. 14 seems a limit and I think un-needed but would be interesting. Anything more maybe 15 or 16... but more than that is no longer an actual limit.

14 is the golf ball golf limit, and doesn't fit well for disc golf. My Fade Crunchbox can hold 17 discs total, and I usually have 14-16, carrying 17 when I'm trying new plastic or a new mold for testing. I'm a mold maximalist, but not necessarily a disc maximalist. But if someone wants to carry 21+ discs, so be it.

14 is the golf ball golf limit, and doesn't fit well for disc golf. My Fade Crunchbox can hold 17 discs total, and I usually have 14-16, carrying 17 when I'm trying new plastic or a new mold for testing. I'm a mold maximalist, but not necessarily a disc maximalist. But if someone wants to carry 21+ discs, so be it.

But that is kinda my point. The argument is proposing a limit. I don't think its a good thing but the idea is interesting. But here there are lots of arguments of making the limit so high it isn't a limit... so then why have a limit or the discussion?

Personally? I'll carry 17 to 21 discs but feel 6 is reasonable for almost all shots... not perfect for all possibilities but certainly usable. It is funny as I start adding more than 6 or 7 I jump right up to 17.

I understand that 14 is ball golf but what is a reasonable limit on the discs in a bag that allows for a number of discs and utility discs AND is a limiting number?

But that is kinda my point. The argument is proposing a limit. I don't think its a good thing but the idea is interesting. But here there are lots of arguments of making the limit so high it isn't a limit... so then why have a limit or the discussion?

Personally? I'll carry 17 to 21 discs but feel 6 is reasonable for almost all shots... not perfect for all possibilities but certainly usable. It is funny as I start adding more than 6 or 7 I jump right up to 17.

I understand that 14 is ball golf but what is a reasonable limit on the discs in a bag that allows for a number of discs and utility discs AND is a limiting number?

Not disagreeing with you. Yes, at some point a high limit isn't really a limit.

I would imagine that the 80/20 rule is in effect: excluding the putter, DG players are using 20% of their discs 80% of the time, and vice versa (that doesn't include Streets when he carries only 4-5 discs, of course. ;) ). For example: I use my Panther, Sphinx and Leopard3 a lot more than most other discs in my bag, such as the Hornet and Banshee/Exodus. But I'm very glad when those less-used discs are available when a certain shot calls for them and/or when the wind is a serious factor.

Also, at least for the pros, sometimes some of those 20+discs are extras. It's a whole lot easier to lose a DG disc than a golf ball club, so a limit on the golf ball golf equipment is understood for that reason.

I think that is the crux of the argument. If we think of the discs as the ball then a limit is a bad idea. If we think of the discs as the clubs then it makes it more interesting to see what disc for what variety of shots.

Since the reality of the disc is that it is both club and ball but unique from either does limiting the number of discs pose a challenge or just some annoying hurdle or rule where one doesn't need to be made?
If its a challenge to help discern who can do what on the course with some limitation its a discussion, and one I think is kind of interesting.
If it is a silly thought and is as bad as artificial OB and constructed Mando's then its fully ignore-able topic.

for the sake of the argument I don't see, if a limit on number of discs were to be implemented "back-ups" would be included in the justification of the number.
A couple putting putters
driving approach putters
OS/S/US in the Mid/Fairway/Distance ranges.
That's 13 ish discs Add in a couple extreme utility that's 15.

Latest posts