• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc maintenance help

Happy to hear the proponents of DX plastic speaking up. The DX Aviar P&A and Stingray are staples of my bag and get more questions from other players asking "what did you just throw" than any other discs in my bag.
Once you know what they do, they are precious.

And yes, they are a lot less expensive and are great to introduce new players to the game with.

As far as fixing them goes, if the flaws or burs aren't uncomfortable in my hand, I don't mess with them at all. And there's almost always another cleaner area on the disc to grip anyway.

People who rag on DX dont have a clue.

DX plastic is sweet. Great grip, great glide, less stable than the premium counterpart and generally wears into straight flying plastic. You cant beat DX's value either.

I WILL blast Discrafts "Pro D" plastic though, it is softer than Charmin and beats in just riding in your bag. I like Discraft and bag two of their molds in their dependable "Z" plastic.

I love me some DX Cobras!

I use a cig lighter to heat up the plastic, then shape it back into place with my fingers. Works wonders.

I carry a lighter just for this purpose. But be careful it doesn't take much to soften the plastic enough to get rid of sharp edges

I guess that is the problem with absolute statements. Don't listen to me, I didn't look at how long you have been playing. I just don't recommend dx to newer players so they have a chance to figure out things before their plastic gets warped.
I do carry DX, it just changes every other time you throw it for awhile. It works for putt and approach discs, but I think dx drivers are too unreliable until they are plenty beat in.

Last edited:
Best way to fix a DX is buy another.. They are like $6-$8.. less than I spend on lunch usually. I just let friends throw DX that I don't need back or CE for it's durability.

It sounds harsh, but he is right. Don't ever bother with the dx
Worthy of a nomination for 'worst post of the year' here on DGCR.

Congrats. It takes some seriously bad advice to compete with the amount of shee idiocy that gets thrown out around here.

It sounds harsh, but he is right. Don't ever bother with the dx

Tell that to the 4 DX Rocs in my bag. If you don't throw DX, you don't know what you are missing - great grip, feel and "seasoning". In fact, most putters perform better in their base plastic options (DX, ProD, etc.).

I use those green Scotch Brite scour pads to 'sand' my discs. A lighter or a pair of nail trimmers to get any dangly bits off the disc and then a couple of runs around it with the pad. Boom. Maintained.

Latest posts