• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc market over saturation?

brutalbrutus

* Ace Member *
I've been pondering this question for awhile now and I just noticed that in the last month 3 new companies have had discs approved, including two who started with several discs. With the costs of designing a producing the mold for a disc, it seems to me that at some point someone is gonna lose a whole crapload of money trying to start a new disc company.

Is there such a thing as too many disc manufacturers?

Is there such a thing as too many disc manufacturers?

Certainly for those trying to do business, it can be disheartening to see more and more manufacturers emerging that are trying to take market share away from the established companies.

However, for the players, it's definitely not a bad thing. As a consumer, you can choose what companies you want to support. If you feel there are too many to choose from, limit your view to those that you know and trust and ignore the rest as noise.

Between all the existing companies, how many speed 13+ discs are there?

IMHO, that's where things are seriously over saturated.

It's been oversaturated for a while now. Next is tournament saturation. High entry fees for average C-tiers. It's already started.

I saw the Viking Disc releases. Who are the other two new companies?

I saw the Viking Disc releases. Who are the other two new companies?

Galaxy Disc Golf: Satellite, Orbit, Shooting Star,*Magneton (1-28-2017)*
Mint Discs: Alpha (1-28-2017)
Dynamic Discs: Slammer*(1-28-2017),*Criminal*(1-17-17),*Sheriff*(12-29-2016)
Innova: Manta (1-24-17)
Viking Discs: Berserker, Rune, Nordic Warrior, Thunder God Thor (1-17-17), Axe, Cosmos,*Knife*(12-29-2016)
RPM Discs: Ruru (12-29-2016)

From the tech standards page.

It's been oversaturated for a while now. Next is tournament saturation. High entry fees for average C-tiers. It's already started.

Yea Nevan was telling me about the price of tourneys where he lives now.

th

Last edited:
MVP should take one for the good of disc golf and close up shop.

Entry fees are essentially capped for each tier unless waiver requested.

What are these caps? Are they enforced? It's easy to doctor the financials of a TD report. I've played a few C-tiers in the last year that have the quality of a thrown together local league. Then they offer raffles for the stuff they can't get rid of!

I think that the competition is great. I don't think, however, that there's a tremendous amount of more technology that can go into the disc aside from the materials.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think that the competition is great. I don't think, however, that there's a tremendous amount of more technology that can go into the disc aside from the materials.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quality standards can greatly improve. Some manufacturers have tremendous flash, flow lines, bad gate cuts, etc.

I also see disc manufactures "over lapping" their existing products with discs that are just ever so slightly different than an existing mold. I can only conclude this is done to compete with the "new release" hysteria from other brands. This type of saturation is probably the worst in my opinion and could stagnant sales.

Latest posts