• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc-On-Club Golf???

craftsman

* Ace Member *
Friend.sent me a link for "Disc-On-Club Golf" on utube.
Sorry i suck with links :(
Vid by mmtarng.

They are playing disc golf with clubs!!!

They've been swamping the disc golf world with videos and facebook friend requests.

I'm waiting to see them demonstrate this on heavily wooded courses, without the clubs ending up looking like Crazy Straws.

DoubleFacePalm.jpg

Here is my question.

Even if you think the ability to sling a disc with a golf club is a great idea, why would you just not make a medal pole with the ability to hold and sling the disc? Why does it have to be a golf club??

I'm not sure it's an actual club, but something modified to grip the disc.

Though the idea is to combine ball golf and disc golf.

the video i saw was some japanese dude. those people come up with the wierdest things, its got to be illegal to the pdga though.

I stand corrected. The previous video I'd seen didn't clearly show it as a golf club. It showed the part attached to the disc---a golf disc, in that example---and I assumed the club was more modified than it seems to be.

I wonder how far it would go if they didn't throw a noob hyzer every time. Or put a little effort into it.

I believe the the record for the Aerobie is still 1,333ft. I'd assume that under the right circumstances - the additional lever arm this provides could easily top that record.

The club adds length to the lever arm, but takes out all the moving parts of your elbow, wrist and fingers that impart spin onto a disc, I doubt something like that would actually give all that much advantage.

The club adds length to the lever arm, but takes out all the moving parts of your elbow, wrist and fingers that impart spin onto a disc, I doubt something like that would actually give all that much advantage.

You're not just increasing the lever arm - the 'cap' as they are calling it is acting as the wrist to 'snap' the disc. If it's made correctly and you can load the disc so that that 180deg release happens at the moment as the club come around - you're going to get tremendous angular velocity. Your wrists become the 'elbow' as they break through the swing.

A couple golf 'facts' from Andrew Rice on club speed:

• For every 1 mph you can add to your swing speed you stand to gain 3-4 yards.
  • An increase of 1" in the length of a club can increase the clubhead speed by as much as 4 mph.

All just speculation, but the physics seem fine. I'd like to see a comparison between the two throws and not by some old Chinese guy in a park - I'm thinking more a modified Iron Byron.

• An increase of 1" in the length of a club can increase the clubhead speed by as much as 4 mph.

I get the mechanical advantage, but just raw speed isn't what we need, a golf ball is a projectile while a disc relies on aerodynamics for distance. I'm skeptical that the thing on the club head can impart the same kind of spin, though I haven't seen one in person.

I get the mechanical advantage, but just raw speed isn't what we need, a golf ball is a projectile while a disc relies on aerodynamics for distance. I'm skeptical that the thing on the club head can impart the same kind of spin, though I haven't seen one in person.

A golf ball isn't a projectile. The backspin on a golf ball is incredibly important to its flight.

Anyone ever thrown clay pigeons? Or seen this dog toy? Both the mechanical clay pigeon throwing machines and the dog toy impart spin. You could get a thing on a rigid arm to do the same for discs.

images
166589b9-1a17-4472-9e52-b72d73d5dc60__54605_zoom.jpg

You're not just increasing the lever arm - the 'cap' as they are calling it is acting as the wrist to 'snap' the disc. If it's made correctly and you can load the disc so that that 180deg release happens at the moment as the club come around - you're going to get tremendous angular velocity. Your wrists become the 'elbow' as they break through the swing.

All just speculation, but the physics seem fine. I'd like to see a comparison between the two throws and not by some old Chinese guy in a park - I'm thinking more a modified Iron Byron.

I agree with you.

I actually see some real potential for this concept. However, the target market I see for it are for those people who may have physical limitations or disabilities that prevent them from being able to perform the proper body mechanics to throw a disc.