• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc path at lower or higher speeds

Discfast

It is easy to find charts showing the path of a disc at the speed of the disc as stated by the manufacturer. and every once and a while it actually flies that way :)

I'd love to see a chart that shows how a 13 performs at 11, 10, 9, 6 or a 9 at 13

Does anyone know of such a chart?

Fantastic,, Thanks Tony, this is very helpful..

I like the little slider for speed.. I am unsure of what the 10/10 3/10 selection is to the left of the remove button?

I picked my favorite disc and agree.. now to add hyser and anhyser... dreaming..

Charlie

I like the little slider for speed.. I am unsure of what the 10/10 3/10 selection is to the left of the remove button?
Charlie

That's the "Sleepy Scale." It is an arbitrary number that represents how beat in a disc is. 10/10 is never thrown. 4/10 is beat to hell.

Take a look at http://discpath.haxor.fi/.

Add the disc you're interested in to see it's flight pattern. Adjust the power level to see the effect of varying amounts of power for that disc.

Looks like the program only allows one to increase the speed to 120% of its stated speed. I was hoping to see what the program thought a DX Mirage flight path would look like when thrown at speed 13.

And, although the Reptilian Disc Golf Stego is not listed there, I can tell everyone what its flight path will look like at various speeds:

speed 3 - short straight flight with sudden hooking dump
speed 4 - short straight flight with sudden hooking dump
speed 5 - short straight flight with sudden hooking dump
speed 14 - you guessed it! short straight flight with sudden hooking dump

Fantastic,, Thanks Tony, this is very helpful..

I picked my favorite disc and agree.. now to add hyser and anhyser... dreaming..

Charlie

All other things equal, the faster you throw the more the disc will turn and less it will fade.
Adding hyzer will have less turn and more fade, vice versa for anhyzer.

If you throw Prodigy you can go to their site. It shows the flight path of their discs based on skill. Each disc shows how it should fly for rec, intermediate, adv, and pro. If you know about how hard you are throwing then you get an idea how each disc should fly for you.

For those wondering, here's the sleepy scale:

Our used discs are graded using the sleepy scale. We try to grade them more conservatively rather than liberally, but please give us the benefit of the doubt.

10 - Never thrown, no ink, new condition. May have some light storage wear.
9 - Field tested, very minimal use, storage wear, no ink.
8 - Lightly used, may be inked.
7 - Used with some wear, but still in decent condition.
6 - Typical used disc with the usual dings, scratches, etc.
5 - Pretty beat up with loss of original stability. Still usable.
1-4 - We won't sell anything that beat up. ;)

I like the sight, with a little help from Google you can see if your arm speed is high enough to throw the disc. (there are other ways to know that but this is a cool one too)

I have a new river at the end of my sunday round i threw it 327 (according to google). According to the chart that rates as 93% or so of the flight speed recommended for the disc(9)... so Yes i have enough arm speed to throw that River.

Yeah something like that... but this was the last full drive on a very hot day at the end of a long round of doubles... Even that i am assuming i can put 100% + on a disc at the outset... But really on a disc with a negative turn if it flips up to flat or turns over a little you've thrown it hard enough.