• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] Disc Recommendation

Cheezfry

My wife throws a 167 sidewinder that she has started turning over, so I'd like to add another disc to her bag.

What would be a good disc, just a tad more stable than a sidewinder?

I would probably move her to a TeeBird even though it's slower.

I was going to go fresh Star Sidewinder. Those things start out pretty OS. You could run worn star/fresh star and cover a lot of lines.

If you wanted to try another brand, you could go with a Dynamic Discs Breakout in Lucid plastic in the mid to high 150s. I would actually highly recommend this route. The Breakout is an amazing mold and has all the stability she would need while still being workable on golf lines. It starts out with a pretty decent fade and then beats into a really workable and dependable flyer in a short period of time.

Last edited:
You might try a Star Valkyrie in the 165-167 or so range. I've found my Star Valks in that range to be very overstable relative to other Valkyries (and the flight numbers). If possible, physically check the disc and look at the PLH.

Someone mentioned the Viking, and I agree with that idea. Try an inexpensive DX first, and if she likes it, you can "upgrade" to Champion later.

Last, as an idea for discing down: try the TL or TL3. The TL (especially when fresh) doesn't turn over much if at all, and the TL3 (which comes only in GStar) is a bit faster, less glide-y, and won't turn over unless you "help" it to.

As ever: JMHO, YMMV.

Like ^ Said, 165-169 Star Valk. Or an S-line TD, feels like a roadrunner/sidewinder but mine is much straight, still has nice flight but not as understable as the #'s suggest. It flies like a straight stable roadrunner, in my opinion its more stable than a sidewinder as well.

It is a champ sidewinder. Viking was my first thought, but I actually like the idea of a teebird too. I like the idea of introducing her to other manufacturers too, so that lucid breakout could be a good option (and my local store does the dynamic buyback thing, so if its a no go, i'll just turn it in for a viking / teebird.

Cool, Thanks guys!!

All good suggestions on next disc.

You might also suggest to her to try adjusting her release angle slightly to hyzer flip her SW up to flat.

I'm not saying learn to hyzer flip instead of picking up a new disc, but turning over a disc is a magical time for learning. Its still good to have something she can power on flat release.

How far is she throwing it? Champ Sidewinders can be very OS when they start, but they can also work in and fly like a Sidewinder. So at what distance/power is it turning?

I like Discmania FD for straighter types of flights of a similar feel, a little more control/slower but good distance and glide with a little turn and little fade. Gstar Teebird for a good straight/stable complement that won't be too overstable. Both are slower but long for their speed class (Sidewinder of course is also a long flying disc for its speed class).

Turning over a Champ Sidewinder? I'd say try releasing it with a bit more hyzer angle. Beating in a Champion disc like a Sidewinder adds glide to it and makes it fly further if released at the right angle.

Latest posts