• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Requirements - HELP!

thetomswift

I started playing disc golf forty years ago - when there were no baskets (only objects) and no specialized discs. I just got back into this recently, and here's my question:

Is there a requirement that you use the normal discs, made for disc golf, or is it okay if I bring my old ultimate/freestyle discs to the course and use those. I'm practicing on a variety of disc-golf discs, and I notice I can get more distance, but frankly, I am far more accurate with freestyle/ultimate discs.

Would I be shunned for using these? And, once I get competitive, would I be breaking any rules?

Finally: Anyone got some real good beginning choices on discs?

I am practicing on a number of mid-range and drivers and I know I will get better, but I would love to get some tips on discs. (I prefer an under stable disc thus far - negative numbers, but honestly, this whole rating system is new to me.) I have a baseline back hand throw, and a pretty good forehand, and have always played the backhand with a decent amount of curve, and can control curve on regular freestyle/ultimate discs very well.

Thanks all. It's really good to be back.

P.S. I am a newbie and you all seem really cool and dedicated, so thanks for hosting such a cool community. You rock.

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with the old school or as referred to sometimes as "super-class" lids depending on the course.

Most flight charts its pretty easy to know what discs are understable as they have negative numbers attached to their ratings. You have tons of choices of new discs and recommend checking out some putters/mids. Lots of locals in CA who can help you out too not sure about stores in the Oakland area but my Aunt lives out there and loved playing Golden Gate when I went into SF-- I would head there and find some knowledgeable locals to help out!

A lot of ultimate discs are PDGA approved, so no problem throwing those. There are some other discs that fly a little closer to lids, it might be worth checking out something like a comet. It will help you get used to a smaller diameter disc while still giving you a lot of glide and similar line shaping abilities. It's not a bad idea to keep a lid in your bag even if you do start figuring out other discs, they're great for approach shots especially if you're already accurate and proficient with it.

"or is it okay if I bring my old ultimate/freestyle discs to the course and use those."

How far can you chunk those discs?

Pretty far, but I've never measured it. (Maybe I'll do that this weekend.) I can throw the disc golf discs farther - but I just don't have the accuracy. Thanks to all other comments. Helpful.

Pretty far, but I've never measured it. (Maybe I'll do that this weekend.) I can throw the disc golf discs farther - but I just don't have the accuracy. Thanks to all other comments. Helpful.

The accuracy will come with practice.

You will have to check the PDGA and see if the discs you are using are approved. The PDGA approves every new disc (or does not).

The main problem with an ultimate disc will be making it stick in the basket. The baskets are designed for much smaller discs, so you will have quite a few shots with the bigger ones that hit chains but drop out. And of course also the distance. I have not seen anyone who can throw a ultimate disc more than 350.

I've never played ultimate, but from my experience with "regular Frisbees" I would think a Zephyr would be an excellent transitional disc from those to DG type discs. The Zephyr is also PDGA approved for legal play.

"Legal" discs? I had the same question, since I still had my old Wham-O Frisbees from the '70's when I first started playing disc golf in 2011. In casual play, throw anything that makes you feel good ("whoever has the most fun, wins!"). In PDGA sanctioned play, you'll still find almost all of them were grandfathered in to the approved list. :)

Distance

"or is it okay if I bring my old ultimate/freestyle discs to the course and use those."

How far can you chunk those discs?

So - I went out today and played a little, and did some general distance measurements. Using an Ultimate and a Freestyle (175 grams & 140 grams), I threw between 195 and 225 feet, usually throwing farther on the lighter disc, but not always. Average was 210.

Using a driver and mid-range, I threw between 225 and 270, with an average of 251. And, my longest drive was the shortest I drove with the disc golf discs.

So, I guess I better keep practicing on the disc golf discs. (And I'll pick up some of the discs suggested here. Thanks for that.

If one isn't considering entering a PDGA sanctioned tournament, nothing about "legal" discs matters.

If one isn't considering entering a PDGA sanctioned tournament, nothing about "legal" discs matters.

Yeah I dont know. Maybe 5 years from now, you wanna play a tournament. And can't use the discs you practiced with for the last 5 years.

Wouldnt that suck?

Unless you're entering non-sanctioned events where they're following PDGA rules, or at least this particular one. Which could include local league or doubles.

So, I guess I better keep practicing on the disc golf discs. (And I'll pick up some of the discs suggested here. Thanks for that.

Yeah I dont know. Maybe 5 years from now, you wanna play a tournament. And can't use the discs you practiced with for the last 5 years.

Wouldnt that suck?

Yep. Sooner or later, you're going to switch to disc golf discs. Everyone else has. You never see anyone mixing in some Frisbees to help their game. So you might as well make it "sooner", and start mastering them.

Which isn't to say you won't sometimes go out and have fun throwing your freestyle/ultimate discs, at least on short or moderate courses. That was the idea behind superclass events.

So - I went out today and played a little, and did some general distance measurements. Using an Ultimate and a Freestyle (175 grams & 140 grams), I threw between 195 and 225 feet, usually throwing farther on the lighter disc, but not always. Average was 210.

Now you've done it. Now I have to see what I can throw, so off to the field I go with my Pulsar, Zephyr and landscaper's tape.

Sounds about right, I have a few buds who chunk an ultimate / freestyle disc before a round and they can't really get past the 200ft mark without really worrying about height , release angle (strong hyzer!!), etc. Distance of 270 with a typical distance of 250 is really not bad at all. I'm assuming you're either a master (40+) or grand master (50+). I'm a grand master and I'm fairly competitive when I play minis or tournaments and typically throw 250-300ft in tourneys. Most of the freestyle background guys I play with really don't generate alot of arm/torque via an x-step, they tend to keep it all about the wrist snap, etc, so if you can combine that snap with a good form/x-step, etc, I see no reason why you couldn't be throwing 300-350+ in the near future with the right discs. If you have a chance check out some understable drivers in the 150-160class. Daedalus, Katana, UnLace, etc. If you're used to throwing on a hyzer release, these discs will greatly get you up to speed quickly. Good luck, keep us posted! :)

Wouldnt that suck?

No, because if you're going to stick with a hobby for 5 years, you're probably going to get sick of using non-specific equipment rather quickly and buy some actual golf discs, and go through plenty of them in the process.

Unless you're entering non-sanctioned events where they're following PDGA rules, or at least this particular one. Which could include local league or doubles.

When I start seeing inspectors with scales at tournaments and leagues to help weed out the illegal discs that are already there, I'll put that on the worry list.

My response . . . .

Sounds about right, I have a few buds who chunk an ultimate / freestyle disc before a round and they can't really get past the 200ft mark without really worrying about height , release angle (strong hyzer!!), etc. Distance of 270 with a typical distance of 250 is really not bad at all. I'm assuming you're either a master (40+) or grand master (50+).

So: I don't know what Master or Grand Master is. Explain please? Thanks! I am 52 years old. My brother and I used to play (aiming at objects) when I was 12, and for years thereafter. But it's been a LONG time since I've played.

I can't wait to try all of these discs, though I may go broke doing so!

I think you'll get really punished by your Ultimate discs when the wind is whipping up.

I bet you're going to be crushing some dedicated disc golf discs in a few months though if you're hitting 200+ with your Ultimate lids today. It's really tough to throw those Ultimate discs far without adding lots of height. Disc golf discs can easily go 300+ feet without ever going higher than 10 feet off the ground.

The accuracy will come if you put in the time.