• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Requirements - HELP!

Discs Bought

So - just received my slew of discs from this thread: Comet, Daedelus, Katana.

I'll report back, after practice this weekend.

Thanks for the help and support.

T

Sounds about right, I have a few buds who chunk an ultimate / freestyle disc before a round and they can't really get past the 200ft mark without really worrying about height , release angle (strong hyzer!!), etc. Distance of 270 with a typical distance of 250 is really not bad at all. I'm assuming you're either a master (40+) or grand master (50+).

So: I don't know what Master or Grand Master is. Explain please? Thanks! I am 52 years old. My brother and I used to play (aiming at objects) when I was 12, and for years thereafter. But it's been a LONG time since I've played.

I can't wait to try all of these discs, though I may go broke doing so!

The PDGA (Professional Disc Golf Association) has several divisions: some are based on ratings, some on gender, and some are age protected & gender protected & ratings protected.

To play in Masters you must be at least 40 years old in the current calendar year. There are professional masters and amateur masters for both males & females. Same is true of grand masters, except you must be at least 50 years old in the current calendar year.

Follow Up

So - thanks again for the tips, which have been appreciated.

I tried out several of the new discs today and this is what I found.

The zephyr was most like my old ultimate discs. I didn't get a lot of distance, but got a lot of accuracy. Will likely use it for mid-range.

The best for me was the comet. I got nearly the distance of the drivers and had the ability to control it.

Oddly, the best disc for me - consistently - was one I already had in the bag but seem to be getting a lot better at: It's a Stratus. I got the most distance WITH control on this. One shot was nearly 330 feet which is pretty amazing to me.

I got farther distance (consistently) with the Daedaelus and the Zatana (?), but could only throw those on extreme curves and had a lot of difficulty controlling them.

So: Any recommendations for discs LIKE the comet and Stratus (other than to stick with those while I figure out how to improve the game)?

Also: Damn I need a lot of practice.

So: I don't know what Master or Grand Master is. Explain please? Thanks! I am 52 years old.

Like others have said, masters are 40-49, grand masters are 50-59, senior grand masters are 60+, legends are 70+ if I'm not mistaken. ;)

If you're getting controlled distance in the 300ft+ range, that's actually very good, congrats! You'll be competitive in the grand master division. As a grand master myself, the tournaments are won and lost on approach & putting. Sure you get a guy once in a while that will birdie a 450ft hole, but usually it's a battle from 100ft in. lol...

My controlled distance is pretty much the same, anything up to around 310 I can usually park within a 30ft radius of the basket. Anything further and I'm throwing max distance lines, a little higher, a little more s-curve, etc. Controlled shots are usually lower, straighter, etc. Or perhaps they are low controlled hyzer skip shots, etc, etc. Mid ranges, fairway drivers, etc, etc.

"I got farther distance (consistently) with the Daedalus and the Katana, but could only throw those on extreme curves and had a lot of difficulty controlling them."

Describe the flight path if you don't mind. These are max distance drivers that do better in open fairways where you're not really trying to park it, you just want a chance at a high percentage par or low percentage birdie. When thrown with no wind, and enough power, they will usually flip up (re: hyzer flip) fly straight and then sweep to the right a bit, and finish back to the left. Classic s-curve pattern. Any headwind will cause them to flip over to the right quicker or become a roller. A tailwind can get you a little more distance as long as you don't throw them nose up and cause them to stall out. I have 4 Daedalus's in my bag, 158 to 175. I use the heavier discs when there is any kind of wind or if I need a stronger finish to the left. The 158 version flies on a long tight s-curve for me, never want to lose that disc. lol... Btw...the Katana likes to fly a little higher, where the Daedalus's work better when thrown lower. I try to keep them around 3-8ft off the ground.

Flight Path

"Describe the flight path if you don't mind. These are max distance drivers that do better in open fairways where you're not really trying to park it, you just want a chance at a high percentage par or low percentage birdie. When thrown with no wind, and enough power, they will usually flip up (re: hyzer flip) fly straight and then sweep to the right a bit, and finish back to the left. Classic s-curve pattern. Any headwind will cause them to flip over to the right quicker or become a roller. A tailwind can get you a little more distance as long as you don't throw them nose up and cause them to stall out. I have 4 Daedalus's in my bag, 158 to 175. I use the heavier discs when there is any kind of wind or if I need a stronger finish to the left. The 158 version flies on a long tight s-curve for me, never want to lose that disc. lol... Btw...the Katana likes to fly a little higher, where the Daedalus's work better when thrown lower. I try to keep them around 3-8ft off the ground."

Well, again, I'm new, so some of these terms are tough for me. I have always thrown (for distance) a right hand back hand. And, I have always thrown with a pretty decent C-curve. I can flatten it out if I want, but until I got back to disc golf, haven't had to.

I was throwing slightly down hill with the wind at my back. Both the Daedaelus and Katana didn't straighten out at all. They just went on a long, steep curve. I tried throwing low and flat - unsuccessful.

I do think a lot of this is still just practice with the new disc. But, damn I want to be better than I am.

"They just went on a long, steep curve. I tried throwing low and flat - unsuccessful."

Curving to the left and dying out?

largely curving to the left. But, had a better day yesterday with control. The Daedalus really started to perform, but I lost my stratus, which sucks! I'm going to keep toying with discs for distance but as you point out, the real work needs to occur on my approaches and putting.

largely curving to the left. But, had a better day yesterday with control. The Daedalus really started to perform, but I lost my stratus, which sucks! I'm going to keep toying with discs for distance but as you point out, the real work needs to occur on my approaches and putting.

ok....that's what I was expecting. When thrown correctly and with the amount of power to get the Daedalus to fly as expected, it will fly straight, fade to the right a bit and fade back to the left at the end. If it fades left too early, you're probably not throwing it with enough power at this time, if it fades too hard to the right or becomes a roller, you could be throwing with too much power or you're releasing on a strong anny or rolling your wrist upon release.

Keep at it, sounds like the Daedalus will eventually work for you. In the mean time keep throwing your putter during field work, make sure to work on throwing it level, flat, low, etc, as the flight path of your putter when thrown hard will telegraph problems with your form, release angle, etc, etc. ;)

Latest posts