• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc speeds over 12. Is it necessary?

Is thtowing discs necessary? Probably not.

Is it a whole lot of fun? Yes!

If you have more fun and a better game with them go for it.

I throw Apes, speed 13, they go far and I have fun.

Most Pros not on Innova related teams throw a speed 13. Every Prodigy player I've seen throws a D1.

Most Trillogy guys have a King/Giant/World/Stiletto.

Even Nico had a World in his ITB and Stokley has a Nuke OS.

I guess they like them too.

I guess it would depend on a few things:

1. Can a person throw the thing with the intended speed to get the desired flight? If not, then nope...

2. Does the hole require that kind of flight? Not if there are a lot of trees and crap in your way... Just means you will hit them harder and faster leaving tree litter everywhere. Not to mention the squirrels the would be traumatized during all the madness.

3. Can a person throw 10-12 properly? If not go back to a Leopard and start over....

4. I honest think of you can throw one then do it. I tried a few, the problem was not the disc, could be my form, the weight or the fact that some time I just stink up the course and it really was not important what I threw because nothing seemed to work.

The longest shot I have every made was with a 132g Fission Photon. Unfortunately it landed in the wrong fairway. Extra distance means nothing without control. I have a hard time getting a good grip on anything larger than the Inertia, so that usually is my widest winged disc I throw.
It's not the fastest disc I throw though, that would be my first run Rask. It's proof that high speed discs can be made without super wide wings.

It's all about finding your own limitations. I bagged a Destroyer/Tern combo for about a year and have ultimately decided that I get the most consistent max distance from Speed 11 drivers (Wraith/Insanity). I'm not full of fast twitch muscles like McBeth and Lizotte. Slow down!

I know! Damn you mediocre genes, leaving me with no way to improve. :D

I actually use my two Champ Bosses and my OS Nuke for shorter shots with huge hyzer directions, that arent long in distance. Their OS is very useful in getting around corners and doglegs. I tend to throw lighter discs for distance.

When you look at players like McBeth...

"Thoughts?"

Paul throws long Destro. Literally "as long as it needs to go.. Everytime " I have seen it spotting and in casual rounds with own eyes. Hits spots on a pure line with true accuracy few local 'pros' hit 1 outta 4 times on bomber holes on my local courses.

Last edited:
I used to bag a boss, and loved it, but frequently backed down to 11 and 12 speed drivers. I used my Star Boss for long S line bomb shots, after getting it a little beat, it went from my overstable driver to my distance driver. I have a Lat 64 Bolt I throw forehand shots with mostly, rarely does it see work as an over stable driver though with my Scythe.

Noodle Arm Uses

As Far as distance goes, I agree with everyone else that there is diminishing return on investment with increasing the speed of the disc. But having said that, I think there is a definite need for Newbs and Rec. players alike to have these discs. I like the added features of a fast disc . I use them to get out of trouble after errant Tee shots. These types of wide rim discs allow me to explore more varied shots besides just throwing them and watching them disc fail each time. They actually provide my weaker arm strength with the ability to throw short Tomahawks and Thumbers as well as a sweet short range skip shot. Let me say again, I cannot throw these discs proper, but have found many many other uses for them because of their shape and speed.

Of course not that's ridiculous. It's the archer not the arrow 100%. But if you can throw a faster driver for long drives then why not? Everybody knows Destroyers fly almost as far as Nukes, some people probably think they are even faster lol. I prefer Nukes for sure, partly because I don't think there is anything out there faster that is as overstable. I think it's pretty much maxed out by the PDGA's limitations. Regardless I think it's preference, If you don't like the rim or whatever no biggie just do you.

For a noodle arm no, for someone with a cannon for an arm, yes.

I really don't think it matters much, just throw what gets you there!

Is it necessary? For me, no. Threw a few Terns for a while, yes, I could throw them longer, but had no control.

For big arms? Yes, I can see where they might be useful. For the most part though, I think it's marketing.

Cannon is the longest disc on the market. I am more consistent with outlaws, so I cycle those, and agree with the post speed 12 is the best compromise, but when its pure D... My furthest throws have always come from a cannon.
i second this.

When i throw long open courses(ball golf courses mostly) I always bag my pinnacle cannons along with my star destroyers. They just go farther.

It's personal preference and comfort. Nothing is "necessary." I know really successful players who don't bag a putter at all (putt with midrange disc), and others who don't bag mids at all (putters and many types of drivers to address any upshot), and others who don't bag a fairway at all.

Personally, my "go to" driver is a fairway driver. With most holes, I don't throw anything over speed 9. I am not a big arm, so if it's a wide open hole, I'll use something faster or if I need the wide rim skip for some reason. Ultimately, it is personal preference.

I think faster discs are a challenge. To throw them right, the nose has to be perfect.
The unreliability is why most pros dont throw them, but they are fun when you get it right.
If nothing else, they require excellent form.
Absolutely worthless in the hands of a beginner, which is why every noob has a Champ Boss.

I think faster discs are a challenge. To throw them right, the nose has to be perfect.
The unreliability is why most pros dont throw them, but they are fun when you get it right.
If nothing else, they require excellent form.
Absolutely worthless in the hands of a beginner, which is why every noob has a Champ Boss.

Necessary? Putting a 13 or 14 or whatever on a new disc could keep your struggling little disc company afloat!

When I was brand spanking new, I had no idea faster discs required more skill. I just thought Innova was being cheap by only giving me a Leopard in my starter set. I figured they had a bunch of them to unload, or they were cheaper to make, or something. Mfrs in other fields often use packaged sampler packs to get rid of stuff that won't sell on its own, so it was an easy conclusion to jump to.

But really, it was worth the $8 to play around with a DX Boss for a bit. Certainly didn't need it in a more durable plastic.

I am at the point where I am getting the most distance I ever have. I am hitting 350-360ft fairly consitently, with a 380ft+ every once in awhile. I, Personally, only started achieving this very recently when I ditched the 13-14 speed drivers and made 11-12 speed drivers my fastest. I feel like I have so much more control, a better grip, and can actually shape lines with the reduction in speed. An added benefit has been the extra distance, too.

I know the Super fast discs are not needed for me, but I am sure they are for someone.

I throw Rampages and Outlaws. For some reason, every Rampage I've ever thrown is flippier than every Cannon I've ever thrown, so I stick with Rampages for distance bombs. Outlaws, I'm still figuring out. The two I have are almost polar opposites from each other. (Max weight first run 168g second run).

Outside of a race track is a car with 500hp and a top speed around 200mph neccessary? No, but people buy them. Tell me someone would drive a Prius instead of a Bentley Continental GT. Most folks that own super cars don't really know how to drive them. But drive them they do.

So speed 12+ discs aren't neccessary. But they are sexy. And some folks actually know how to throw them. I carry a Ferrari (a Nuke) in my bag. Can I really "drive" that Ferrari. Not really, but when I'm on my game it is fun to drive.

I think it's preference really. I personally don't have the arm for more than speed 10, and even then I don't get the full potential out of it.

I was just playing with a friend who lost both his go to destroyers in a tourney. I traded him a max weight S-PD and he crushed that thing further than I have ever seen him throw before with any destroyer, or other disc for that matter. Must have been pushing 500', he over threw a 420' hole by a good bit.

Point being, I don't think disc speed is directly linked to accurate distance. I think it has more to do with being comfortable with a particular disc in hand, and it's flight path. I can push 375 some days with a king I keep around for funsies, and have gotten over 400' with it once in a freaky good throw, but I can and have done the same with a PD, and hit 359-375' more often and more accurately.

I have traditionally stayed away from anything faster than a speed 10. At 42 yrs old, and with 3 bad discs in my neck and bum throwing shoulder, "noodle-arm" is more than a description, it's a way of life for me!! ;) Even then, I live with my mids (Warship/Evidence/Tursas) and Fairway/Control Drivers (Seer/Stag) off the tee 95% of the time. Especially here in Charlotte - where there are very few opportunities to throw 400+ drives.

However - that said - I am starting to find some uses for faster discs. Primarily, taking some shorter speed 7 utility discs out of my bag. For example - my Air Sorcerer is kicking my Frost XXX out the bag. The XXX does one thing, and one thing only - a hard left (or right if RHFH) hook. The sorcerer will do that exact same thing if I power it down. However, it's great for FH flicks on medium right turning holes, and I have a sneaking suspicion that it will also float (gonna test that theory today actually). If it does, it will also kick an old Dragon out of my bag. So instead of have 3 discs (hard hook, medium right-fade, and water disc) the Sorcerer will cover all 3 slots with one disc, as well as give me a very skippy disc and a long-range driver to keep working up to. That's 5 distinct shots out of one disc, instead of keeping 3 different molds in my bag.

Will I ever throw it as a "Speed 13 Driver"? Most likely, not. I don't know if I'll ever have the arm for it at this stage of the game. But it's a very useful disc for a number of reason and it's simplifying my bag. I like versatile discs, and a speed 12-13 disc can be used for a LOT more than just bombing 400'+ drives.

Latest posts