• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc suggestions

Bhopkins1311

Bogey Member
Im looking to get some new discs, i dont have alot of money so probably only going to get one or two maybe yall can help me decide. Id say im slightly above beginner skill. I can get 300 350 distance but not usually super accurate. For a straight throw id say about 100 to 200 feet. I feel like what needs the most work is my approach.

But here are what i found online that i think may be what im looking for.

What i usally throw
Beat in Pro destroyer
Elite z buzz
And kc pro aviar for putt

Any suggestions

Discraft stalker
Discraft commet
Gateway wizard
Vibram Ibex
Discmania PD (S line)
Latitude 64 dimond or river
Discmania FD jackal (S line)
Millennium JLS

Honestly I'd put down the Destroyer for a TeeBird, Teebird-L or a Leopard/3 in your preferred plastic. The only reason I say that is because you should bet getting +300 with a Teebird, the destroyer maybe to fast for you at this point.

If you like your Buzzz don't change it, I am a big Roc fan. If you want to try a Roc grab one in DX they are cheap and beat in real nice. (I'd say save your coin and keep the Buzzzz)

As far as the putter, do you like using the KC Pro. or do you use it more for driving? I prefer slightly softer plastic for putting and I like a big bead so I like the Big Bead Aviars or the 5x Yeti Aviars.

Standby - for lots of "I throw XYZ and it's the greatest" as well as "Don't use anything beyond speed 4 till you can throw 500 ft" responses.

But seriously - put the destroyer away for a while and get yourself a pair premium plastic fairway drivers (<speed 9-10) : something moderately understable and something moderately overstable. Ask some folks at your local course to try what they throw and buy whatever works for you.

If you want a practice disc that will reward good form you can't go wrong with a Comet - but be warned it might be frustrating to use in a round because it is not very forgiving.

My response was subjective. I prefer Innova plastic so all my examples were Innova. (What works for me may not work for you) KniceZ stated it perfectly, find yourself an over stable or under stable fairway driver (i.e. Teebird (over stable) or Leopard (under stable)) and get comfortable with those. Every brand has a disc similar to the ones that I referenced, with a little research you can find the one right for you.

Do you prefer a specific brand?

Another suggestion - try to actually grip the different plastics/rubber from all the brands. Different folks like different feels. Ex - I prefer Star to Champion.

As KniceZ mentioned, there are so many choices out there it is almost impossible to know what disc will click with you. Of the discs you mentioned I own a Comet, FD, and a River. They are all excellent imo and very worthy of consideration.

I would recommend a "check with me" disc in your bag. What I mean by that is either a very slow, stable-understable disc like your Aviar or a faster, understable mid or fairway like a Comet. For me, this disc is a Glide. It will let you know when you are not throwing clean because it will flutter and dive off to the right when torqued. When thrown smoothly, they will go far. I start a lot of my rounds throwing the Glide only. When I feel I am throwing it clean, I go to a driver. When I feel torque or something wonky in my delivery, I go back to the Glide. I have found this very helpful. Just a thought...

You might try an Opto Pure for working on form. This is an excellent driving putter/approach disc, especially in the durable Opto plastic.

I'm a big fan of the Gold Line River and I like the FD (I have a C-Line, but S-Line is good too). The River and FD may be redundant for you, so if money is an object, go with one or the other.

If you like the Buzzz, stick with it. A suggestion for an alternative would be a Star VCobra or a Prodigy M3.

From your list, I would go Comet and/or River.
Me personally, I LOVE the Comet. Traded away the River (that I had traded for in the first place), just didn't need it in the bag with my Leopards.

I know the suggestion to put away the Destroyer for a while may have been hard to hear, but pick yourself up a Comet and then throw those two together in the field or on the course. When you see them landing on top of one another the idea might make more sense.

Your list has some good choices.
I'll say the S-FD is a great disc I think everyone should try out. It's a controllable disc that covers a lot of lines. The JLS is fantastic as well, it does just what it says "just long straight". The glow QJLS is a bit more stable. S-FD, QJLS is a great fairway pair in my opinion.

If you feel your approach game is what you want to work on, then I suggest going to feel as many putters as possible. Bring what you use now, and compare the feel of it to others. When you pick one up that just feels right and fits, buy 2 and a 5 gallon bucket. Put that bucket in the yard or open green space and throw at it from every angle you can. That practice will help your game more than any disc ever will.

Latitude 64 compass is an excellent straight mid, holds lines very well and you can throw jump putt shots with it from further out than with a putter.

For a straight fairway, the river is excellent, it actually replaced my gstar leopard which I find annoyingly touchy.

Hated both at first, eventually found that you have to throw these by basically just making the throwing motion with zero force and letting go at the end.

Honestly I'd put down the Destroyer for a TeeBird, Teebird-L or a Leopard/3 in your preferred plastic. The only reason I say that is because you should bet getting +300 with a Teebird, the destroyer maybe to fast for you at this point.

If you like your Buzzz don't change it, I am a big Roc fan. If you want to try a Roc grab one in DX they are cheap and beat in real nice. (I'd say save your coin and keep the Buzzzz)

As far as the putter, do you like using the KC Pro. or do you use it more for driving? I prefer slightly softer plastic for putting and I like a big bead so I like the Big Bead Aviars or the 5x Yeti Aviars.
Ive never really found a putter that i loved, but in saying that i havnt tried to many. Ive tried an r pro aviar and a birdie and i didnt like either of them. I have the roc the champion i think its a macbeth disc and i dont really like it compared to my buzz

My response was subjective. I prefer Innova plastic so all my examples were Innova. (What works for me may not work for you) KniceZ stated it perfectly, find yourself an over stable or under stable fairway driver (i.e. Teebird (over stable) or Leopard (under stable)) and get comfortable with those. Every brand has a disc similar to the ones that I referenced, with a little research you can find the one right for you.

Do you prefer a specific brand?
Not nessicarily i got a 166 gram champion lepord and id say i can throw my destroyed better then it

Try to feel plastics in person and avoid online purchases until you know what plastics you like.
If you don't like champion type plastics, don't buy them. Lot's of good options out there.

As far as putters go, going to have to buy and try, putters are very personal.

I'll second (or 3rd and 4th) the recommendations given so far.
I'll add to the list of discs that have helped me;
Comet - "X" or ESP and the Cobra and Roc in DX, but if you don't like how a Roc feels, you probably won't like these.

Some other mids - Claymore, Panther and Truth

For Fairways, Eagle, Teebird and Leopard in Pro, Star and G-Star. Dx Teebirds and Eagles fly far though!

If you want to bump up to 9 speed, Sidewinder, Escape and Valkyrie are all decent.

Best thing I did for my game is to play putter/mid only rounds, if you don't know what you like, try an Aviar and a Judge in base plastic, one is beaded the other is not, you'll soon find which you prefer.

Try a Comet, you may not bag it, but it will do wonders for your throw.

Last edited:
I wanted to point out that a comet isn't just useful for working on form. Once you get used to throwing it's a pretty solid do everything mid. Coming from an ultimate background, it's the golf disc that I've found most resembles an ultra-star. When I'm in a hurry and play a 3-disc round my z-comet is always 1 of my discs (along with a putt'r and valkyrie). When I carry a bag I use a buzz and an x-comet (which tends to be more under stable than the z).

Latest posts