• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

disc thoughts?

gintner31

in my bag is:
1st run star archon
echo star wraith
star sl
special ed katana
champion eagle
comet
soft magnets

thinking about different discs that are like the wraith and any other good ones people have tried
i like the eagle and wraith thats really it the others i am not sold on i am still breaking some in
i throw both flick and backhand neither primary really depends on hole and how im feeling
what do u think dump a couple and pick out some new ones? or just add some to the current lineup
thanks

I'd work on finding a solid mid-range, I know it's probably been said a million times, but a DX Roc would more than likely be a main-stay for you, and at a low price.

This would fit better in the Bag Suggestions and Feedback thread...

We need to know how far you are throwing what you have and on what kind of lines.

sorry about the mispost ...
mid range i do like the comet and the roc i have heard a lot about
but i throw around 300 with both backhand and flick i kinda feel like i am not getting the distance i should but thats cause i am still new so nbd
and lines? sorry new to the sport

Last edited:
Aside from distance, what do you feel you need to improve on? If you're looking for a driver for consistency, I would recommend a Champion Beast in 165 - 170 weight. If you need something that's going to fly straighter than an arrow for distance, try a Latitude 64 Striker. Both of those discs did worlds for my game. As far as putters, I use the soft magnet too and love it to death, but try a harder plastic driver like a star aviar and practice driving with it in addition to using the high speed plastic. You'll see an improvement all around.

by lines he's saying... for each disc what flight paths are you using it for.

generally speaking (assuming you throw RHBH - right hand back hand)... overstable discs = right to left, stable = straight, understable = left to right

throwing discs on a hyzer generally create right to left lines, anhyzer create right to left lines. there's a lot more depth to this discussion but the more you're on the site the more you'll start to understand the lingo and shot shaping techniques.

generally when people post their bags they include their consistent distances with each disc as well as what they use each disc for.

for instance let's take your wraith... it's an overstable disc (os) which means that for the most part it's going to fade left at the end of its flight. if your wraith is beat to **** or you can torque the hell out of it you can get it to turnover (meaning go right to left).

so for your wraith you would say something like - echo star wraith (weight of your disc) 300' - main driver, use for "x" type of shot.

now to your bag - if you're only throwing 300' some of your discs are to fast for you; you need to get some slower speed discs and work on your form because chucking the big boys down the fairway will not help you improve your game. honestly if you're relatively new, your best option is to take your comet to the course with some other mids and putters and just play with those discs. that will help you improve your form immensely and eventually you'll find that holes you were throwing your fast drivers on... you're now throwing your mids or putters on.

if you don't want to do that i'd at least get the katana out of your bag until you get your distance up. i'd get all but the eagle out for now and possibly pick up a tbird or tl to compliment it if you're in to innova discs for drivers; maybe throw in a leopard for straight tunnel shots as well. if you want to know more about other brands use the search function in the forum to look up specific discs and read the threads about them; it's a great way to learn more about what each disc can do for you.

once you can get your eagle up to around 320' you could bring the wraith and archon back in the fold. the wraith is actually a great distance driver for beginners and it compliments the archon really nicely IMO. at that point you should be able to get both of those discs in at least the 340' range.

all of that aside max distance isn't really all that important despite what some people will tell you. what is important is controlled distance so if you can't control your disc up to certain distances then they are no use to you. work on being able to hit lines consistently with each disc as well as learning to work in new lines; experimentation is fun and a great way to improve your overall game.

to work on your form look up some drills you can do to help. here's a couple to start with.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nED7gcXobEo
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=19220

Last edited:
thanks for the help guys :thmbup:

as far as distance of those discs
1st run star archon= rhbh 275-300
echo star wraith= rhfh 300-325
star sl= still working on breaking it in but i would say 200-275
special ed katana= 275-325
champion eagle= 200-250
comet or soft magnets i never really use off the box or anything so i would have not really a clue i really just use them approach

jtreadwell - i had a beast i was not a big fan of it and just talking to people and looking at a bunch of discs
some people were saying the archon would be a step up from the beast so i gave that a shot

i think for the most part i need to do what New013 was saying and take some big dogs out of my bag and pick up some slower stuff and just work with them all
i was already thinking i needed to play a couple rounds with one disc like use just my eagle and play a couple more with just another disc etc etc and see what happens cause i can tell when i am playing i have not figured out how to adjust to different discs on the fly i know how to throw one maybe two the wraith has been the only consistant disc in my bag from when i started so if all else fails i can rely on that one

thanks for the help guys :thmbup:

as far as distance of those discs
1st run star archon= rhbh 275-300
echo star wraith= rhfh 300-325
star sl= still working on breaking it in but i would say 200-275
special ed katana= 275-325

champion eagle= 200-250
comet or soft magnets i never really use off the box or anything so i would have not really a clue i really just use them approach

Drop those discs, pick up a leopard. work with the eagle and leopard til you improve your form. You dont have the snap/arm for the red highlighted discs.

Drop those discs, pick up a leopard. work with the eagle and leopard til you improve your form. You dont have the snap/arm for the red highlighted discs.

I would focus on the one you are most comfortable with rather than dropping them all completely. The Problem seems to be that these discs are very high speed rated and thus take a time to learn or break in. Getting a leopard or a TeeBird would be my suggestion, these will finish fairly straight and also help with your control vs. distance growth. Also start practicing trowing your putters and mids as drivers, you might be impressed by the distance these have and they are much easier to control. Plus these disc will ultimately assist your form and technique for using your drivers.

magnets are pretty popular on here. some others that get rave reviews include aviars, darts, ions, vectors, zones, any putter made by gateway... basically you have to just find the one that works for you. how do you putt?

magnets are a good putter. I would only tell you to try something different if you were using an overstable putter as they are best suited for experienced players who need the consistency.

I agree with the Roc/Buzzz & Leopard choices. All of these discs are very versatile and forgiving. Try a 150g Leopard, great for days when its not too windy. And I kind of go against the grain by saying get higher end plastic.

i might just stick with the soft magnets it works so y fix it?
but i think im gonna pick up a roc and tl try those out
and how do i put? i throw the disc at the basket and pray it goes in lol
i dont jump putt other than that i have no idea