• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Disc Weight Quesetion

Joemic

Par Member
Hi guys, I have been a little conflicted with my disc weights. I watch all these videos of pros saying that they only throw max weight discs. When I first started taking things more seriously, I was buying super light discs because I thought they'd fly further for me. Now I have worked my way up to throwing generally around 167-170g discs. However, I have a heavier Predator (174g) and a heavier P-PD (175g) and I find them to be very hard to throw. I thought they'd be better in the wind, but I can't get much distance or accuracy on them.

Now to the question: Is it better to simply keep working on the max weight stuff until it works out? Or should I keep going with the 167-170g range? Also, do you guys try to have all about the same weights; or do you typically have varied weights depending on the disc's purpose?

Sorry if there's a thread for this somewhere. I am not yet a master searcher, but I did spend some time checking.

Use what works for you.. I like my Putters at 174g I believe. My mids are generally 172-180g. That's a big difference but I have different purposes and carry 8 mids divided to 3 molds. So.. My drivers I like between 168g-173g. Typically I have been buying 170-173 because that's what MVP makes for it's drivers.. For my two surges I throw a 175g for Tomahawks because I want them heavy, the other is a little lighter. That's all my personal preference.

It's whatever you like. Heavier discs will generally be harder to throw whereas lighter weights will be easier to throw and you can obtain max distance with less effort. The wind messes with lighter discs more than a heavier disc though. Keep that in mind. I like my mids heavy and drivers a little lighter. It's all personal. Happy disc golfing!

weight is a personal thing like texture preference. it all depends on your body and the physics being applied.
just throw what works best for you, someday that may mean 175 grams, but for now it's not.

Thanks, man! Ya I know everything comes down to personal preference, but I just want to gather some info from everyone to see how other people manage their weights. Your explanation was great :thmbup: I haven't been playing too long, so maybe after a while I'll work up to where I can just consistently buy like 175g or something (slight OCD with this stuff haha).

Thanks, man! Ya I know everything comes down to personal preference, but I just want to gather some info from everyone to see how other people manage their weights. Your explanation was great :thmbup: I haven't been playing too long, so maybe after a while I'll work up to where I can just consistently buy like 175g or something (slight OCD with this stuff haha).

Yep, no problem man! Just keep having fun! I am finally winding down with what I need in disc golf haha. If I went to the store tomorrow I would blow $55 and would finally have everything I have ever wanted in the disc golf world.. Unfortunately I have other priorities.. I've invested well over $1000 into the sport and I'm 17 haha.

Yep, no problem man! Just keep having fun! I am finally winding down with what I need in disc golf haha. If I went to the store tomorrow I would blow $55 and would finally have everything I have ever wanted in the disc golf world.. Unfortunately I have other priorities.. I've invested well over $1000 into the sport and I'm 17 haha.

I feel your pain! I just started this summer, really, and I have been going crazy buying discs in an effort to figure out what I like. There's just something about buying new plastic (and rubber) that's awesome haha. Money well spent in my mind. Love this game :D

I feel your pain! I just started this summer, really, and I have been going crazy buying discs in an effort to figure out what I like. There's just something about buying new plastic (and rubber) that's awesome haha. Money well spent in my mind. Love this game :D

Yes, it is. Just keep playing and enjoying. My biggest mistake was throwing too many molds to start. You seem to have that under control with just trying what you like. I used to carry about 16 molds.. Now I have 8.. Well I carry 10 but throw 8. It's exciting buying new plastic but when you don't feel the need to, enjoy that moment! :D

It is really a personal thing & it really depends on your personal preferences & abilities. I recommended not matter the distance your getting to use max weight Putters & Mids. When it comes to fairway drivers & distance drivers its depends more on the purpose of the disc & your abilities. If you want a tailwind driver I'd say go lighter than you usually do to get extra distance. When it comes to other drivers throw the weights you can comfortably throw as long s they aren't flippy or extra OS b/c of the weight. I throw max weight Putters, Mids & Fairway drivers but my Distance Drivers are all between 168 - 172 b/c I can get some extra d without sacrificing stability or wind fighting capabilities. IMO if you can't throw a disc up to speed in it's max weight you don't have a big enough arm for that particular mold yet. Even though I throw slightly lower than max weight drivers I still know that the molds I'm throwing are at my level b/c I can get them up to speed at max weight but I choose to throw slightly lighter weights for the extra d but if I go any lower than 168 they get to flippy on me. So you just gotta find your sweet spot when it comes to weight.

I believe I've heard Paul McBeth state that he prefers his drivers in the 168g range. I'm a lightweight old(ish) man all of 5'9" and I like my drivers in the 166g-169g range. Caveats for overstable drivers as well as midranges and putters. My thinking is that the extra weight will insure over-stability in my overstable drivers in windy conditions and predictability in my mids and putters, whereas I want my distance and understable plastic to be easier to throw and hold it's intended line without having to overexert myself. I wouldn't be interested in a max weight Underworld, Leopard, TL, or Roadrunner for instance, but would definitely buy a max weight Firebird, Shock, Banshee, Trident, or XXX. It's personal preference though, really. Good luck. Much of the fun of being involved in Disc Golf is getting new plastic.

Thought I'd encourage you with something. I asked a similar question a few years back with a poll:

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63321

You'll notice most people throw right in the range you're at with Drivers. A lot of Pros throw max weight for consistency purposes, but they also tend to have better form, and so they throw the disc at it's intended velocity. For the rest of us, we have to find a happy medium.

As far as mids and putters go: Most people use heavier mids because they tend to fly farther. I try and keep mine around 175g (but that's preference). If you want to turn a disc over more easily (like if you wanted to consistently Anny a Stingray or Comet or something like that) then you'll want to use somewhat lighter discs.

Putters are the only slot in which I agree with using max weight...and even that I would say could change if you use a putter for longer putts or in the woods etc. Putters that I use for strictly putting inside the circle I ALWAYS throw at 175g. Outside and for driving, I might pick somewhere between 170-175g.

Hope this helps :)

I believe I've heard Paul McBeth state that he prefers his drivers in the 168g range. I'm a lightweight old(ish) man all of 5'9" and I like my drivers in the 166g-169g range. Caveats for overstable drivers as well as midranges and putters. My thinking is that the extra weight will insure over-stability in my overstable drivers in windy conditions and predictability in my mids and putters, whereas I want my distance and understable plastic to be easier to throw and hold it's intended line without having to overexert myself. I wouldn't be interested in a max weight Underworld, Leopard, TL, or Roadrunner for instance, but would definitely buy a max weight Firebird, Shock, Banshee, Trident, or XXX. It's personal preference though, really. Good luck. Much of the fun of being involved in Disc Golf is getting new plastic.

I also do this. Well put Blackcat.

My thinking is that the extra weight will insure over-stability in my overstable drivers in windy conditions and predictability in my mids and putters, whereas I want my distance and understable plastic to be easier to throw and hold it's intended line without having to overexert myself.

I throw <170 TeeBirds and used to throw 150 Flicks regardless of the wind conditions (have seen 40+ mph). The thing is to focus on being smooth and getting a clean release more than crushing a drive sloppily. Wind can absolutely be your friend if you let it.

I watch all these videos of pros saying that they only throw max weight discs.

huge misconception. just cause they mention a few specifics discs being max weight doesnt mean the ones they didnt are.
alot of the touring pros throw high 160s and low 170s, and have some max weights in there for conditions or that have just around forever. GG said he uses mainly 168-172 i think (close to that at least).
mids and putters are common in max weight tho. putters i understand mids not so much