• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Help] Disc Weight

Difference in weight feel?

• 1-3

Votes: 3 6.1%

Votes: 16 32.7%
  • 5+

Votes: 30 61.2%

• Total voters

sumo21

Eagle Member
I normally throw max weight discs, but since I'm trying new discs from other companies, I am experimenting with the weights that my local Play It Again carries. I tend to purchase lighter weight discs that I plan to use for turnover shots, but not 100%.

My question is what weight difference between discs do you start noticing the feel, flight, etc is different than what you bought the disc for?

We used to think that weight was a factor, until lightweight premium plastic stuff started coming around and molding with a higher PLH. That led us to learn of contributing factors other than weight.

For me it takes 4 to 5g give or take to notice a difference in glide or ease to get up to speed.

Whenever I grab a stack of discs at a local store to compare PLH they ask me if I want the scale out and are surprised when I say, no just need a flat surface, the weights marked are close enough for me.

4 to 5g starts to become noticeable.

For me it is 4 on the nose.
Apes at 172-175 all fly darn close( except for that one run that had an oddly low PLH, those flew like a Destroyer).

But once the hit 171 I can start to get some turn, and I do not want turn.

It really depends on the mold and the plastic used. Everything equal, most aren't going to show much difference at all until you get around 10g difference, but for some discs, some conditions, 5-ish can change things. I got a little pseudo scientific a few years ago and did a bunch of tests with carefully placed added weight to the center bottom of a number of discs. It was around that 10g mark that some showed repeatable changes in flight...some didn't, though. That's a little different than spreading the weight throughout a disc, but it was interesting. People always recommend lighter weights for turning or heavier weights for wind but I haven't found either of those to be necessarily true or consistent. Really think it depends on the particular disc and how it was formed.

Latest posts