• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Weights for an 11 Year Old

I don't really agree with this. I don't see the benefit in starting kids out with different equipment that they will likely eventually use. I did not start playing ball on different fields, with softer balls or tees to hit off of. I think children's arms can handle full weight discs just fine and will benefit from learning on them. With that said, usually less stable discs work better for the lower power and disc speed. Just my take.

I completely disagree. Heavy discs promote poor form as kids learn to use arm strength to get them up to speed, light discs make it a lot easier to learn good form. It's not hard to transition if they want to use heavy discs later on, and many people find that lighter discs work better anyway. I have a decent arm and I still throw most of my drivers in the 160s, my fiancee throws all 150 class drivers even though she can throw 300'. Just because you get better doesn't mean you have to use max weight discs, the lighter stuff is really useful especially for new players and even more especially for new young players.

I don't really agree with this. I don't see the benefit in starting kids out with different equipment that they will likely eventually use. I did not start playing ball on different fields, with softer balls or tees to hit off of. I think children's arms can handle full weight discs just fine and will benefit from learning on them. With that said, usually less stable discs work better for the lower power and disc speed. Just my take.

I don't understand so many people's insistance on using the heaviest discs possible. I really like throwing 150 class stuff myself because they're so incredibly easy to do anything with. That said, I have pretty great form, so stuff doesn't act nearly as understable for me as for many others.

I completely disagree. Heavy discs promote poor form as kids learn to use arm strength to get them up to speed, light discs make it a lot easier to learn good form. It's not hard to transition if they want to use heavy discs later on, and many people find that lighter discs work better anyway. I have a decent arm and I still throw most of my drivers in the 160s, my fiancee throws all 150 class drivers even though she can throw 300'. Just because you get better doesn't mean you have to use max weight discs, the lighter stuff is really useful especially for new players and even more especially for new young players.

I also agree with mashnut. I can throw 174g Rampages over 500' and 176g Ibexes and Comets over 400' but I still use my main distance drivers between high 150's and high 160's.

One question is how athletic is this 11 1/2 year old? I coached youth sports and some boys that age have pretty strong throwing arms.

One question is how athletic is this 11 1/2 year old? I coached youth sports and some boys that age have pretty strong throwing arms.

I think the lighter stuff might be really helpful even for those especially athletic kids. When you've got a strong arm, it's really easy to fall into the habit of strong arming your shots, and the light discs don't cover that up as much as a heavier disc would.

I don't want it to sound as if I am suggest max weight is best. I also throw 150 class sometimes. I understand that light discs can show form flaws, often hidden by heavier discs, but I don't think heavier discs are a hinderance to form development. Nor do I think heavier discs present a problem at lower speeds or power. You guys are both great posters, I just never bought into the lighter weight develops better form arguement. I have had my say, I will let some of the other knowlegable posters here give feedback on the OP's question.

I think the lighter stuff might be really helpful even for those especially athletic kids. When you've got a strong arm, it's really easy to fall into the habit of strong arming your shots, and the light discs don't cover that up as much as a heavier disc would.

You might be right. I'm the last person to talk about good form.

But I was thinking more in the low- or mid-160s if you're talking about an 11 or 12 year old who is, say, a fastball pitcher on his baseball team. Not max weight, but heavier than 150-class or sub-150 discs.

I guess my main point is there's no generic answer for an 11 1/2 year old beginner, because of the vast range of athleticism at that age.

Great point. Normally I would say anything form 150g-165g, but some kids can have quite a strong arm. I probably still would go over 170g

You might be right. I'm the last person to talk about good form.

But I was thinking more in the low- or mid-160s if you're talking about an 11 or 12 year old who is, say, a fastball pitcher on his baseball team. Not max weight, but heavier than 150-class or sub-150 discs.

I guess my main point is there's no generic answer for an 11 1/2 year old beginner, because of the vast range of athleticism at that age.

I'll certainly agree that there is no right answer, and I also wouldn't say it was the wrong way to go to give that athletic kid a disc in the 160s. I would probably still start out with a 150 class disc and go from there. That's just based on my own personal experiences, certainly not any kind of rigorous testing of these theories. :)

Wait, what? You started playing baseball as a little kid on a full sized field with 90' bases and a 400' fence? And you used full sized bats? That's amazing. I started on a field with 45' bases and tiny little kids bats. I don't think I could've even lifted a full sized bat at age 5, much less hit something with it...

I posted about my daughter on the last page. I haven't noticed any real range difference between her 150 class and her ~165 stuff. Actually, I think she throws the 160s stuff a smidge farther on similar throws. Her Buzzz and Cobra seem to be 2 of her best throws, usually the same as or a bit better than her 150 Leopards.

First let me say thanks for all the great replies! I do appreciate the feedback! :)

When I first started playing I made the mistake of buying all max weight discs. I got really frustrated when I found I couldn't throw them as far as I thought I should be able to. Once I started throwing lighter the discs started going further and further. So now that I do understand the importance of disc weight, I didn't want to make the same mistakes with him. I just want to get him off to the best start possible. I'd really love for him to pick it up and be something he and I can do together for a long time to come.

I'd say he's about average strength wise, but he can really throw a baseball pretty well! I ended up going with a 150g Leopard, a 150g Shark, and a 165g Aviar Classic Putter. We'll see how it goes and adjust accordingly.

Wait, what? You started playing baseball as a little kid on a full sized field with 90' bases and a 400' fence? And you used full sized bats? That's amazing. I started on a field with 45' bases and tiny little kids bats. I don't think I could've even lifted a full sized bat at age 5, much less hit something with it...

Well, no we did not use full size bats. But, yes. Full size high school field, regulation hardball, peer fast pitch from the age of 6/7. I am guessing this was fairly common back in the 70's.

Well, no we did not use full size bats. But, yes. Full size high school field, regulation hardball, peer fast pitch from the age of 6/7. I am guessing this was fairly common back in the 70's.

I started playing baseball in the '70s, definitely not common in our area.

I have two around that age.
Both are pretty athletic.. one (11) is more of a .. linebacker build, the other (9) more of a soccer build.

Backhand:
Eagle 172-3, this is the into the wind and general need to go straight/left, but never really gets distance.. too "big" for them both.
Leopard 171-3, this is the disc I try to get them to use the most, the older (11) can almost get it to do an S, while the other (9) can only get it straight then left.
Cobra 150 for 9yo super easy to get going straight/right even on rhbh then finish left. He uses this instead of leopard mostly. I would totally recommend a 150 leopard/cobra type for kids to really be able to throw a "flight path". But then wind kills it.

SM Roc 175 for 11.. mostly flies like his drivers though with less fade, never goes flat either.. too big imo.
KCPro Roc 172 for 9.. same as above

160ish buzz for 11.. this is more "usable" for a mid for him, it flattens out a bit and can make it land more straight than the hard fade of roc.
160ish shark for 9.. same as above.

I contemplated having a comet or type of understable mid, but /shrug they have putters.

Putting, 9 uses rpro dart, 160ish other uses my super beat XD thats 171.
They putt differently, the 9 throws pretty hard at it, the 11 finesses it in..
I tried to get them on wizards, but not yet, it just is too stable.

Forearm they get considerably more force at their age.
The Eagle actually glides and gain easily 50-75' more than backhand.

I try to keep just two drivers, two mid and a putter to make it easier on them to select.
Two overstable and two stable/under for wind/shot selection.

Hope that helps.

Just an update...
My son got his discs today. He absolutely loves them! I was really impressed with how well he handled them, he was getting some decent D as well. Now if I could just get him to get the nose down he'd be alright. The best part was hearing him say "Hey Dad, I really like playing with you... this is fun!" Awesomeness :D

Thanks again for all the replies!

Latest posts