• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc with 0 / 0 for straight shots.

Bulldogger

Im a relative noob, , about 1 year of playing. So i decided to buy a putter and a mid range with 0 / 0 in order to theoretically throw straighter shots. So it seams these disk as my worst. Every one of then veers so far off to the left with a level straight throw , much more that the high turn and fade disk. What am i doing wrong ? Im throwing the same level shots i have always done, and i dont have problems with my other disk. Seams to be the only way to correct it is an exaggerated anhieser, but its awkward , unreliable and that that seams to defeat the purpose of a flat straight throwing 0 /0 disk. Does anyone have any experience or recommendations as to the problem,. Maybe these 0 /0 disk are not so great, i appreciate peoples opinion. The two specific disk i have with the problem is the Viking Ruin putter and the Mako 3. The Mako 3 is really bad about this, off to the severe left despite a level throw. Been practicing for days, ready to throw it in the trash can at this point unless i can fix it. Thank you. :wall:

There are others much more knowledgeable that will likely weigh in.

I doubt it is the discs.
It's easy to think discs are the problem, usually it is a form problem with the person throwing the disc
(The archer, not the arrow is often quoted).

Let's start with a couple of questions that will get asked.

When you say the disc goes off to the left...
What way are you throwing?
RHBH - right hand back hand
RHFH - right hand forehead
LHBH
LHFH

Knowing that will help untangle why that is happening.

The next question is WHEN is it going left. Is it at the beginning of the flight in the HST (high speed turn) portion of the flight or at the end of the flight the LSF (low speed fade)?

It you can answer those, it will help others help you sort this.

Ok, thank you for the advice, Let me revise my data accurately. I tried to convert everything into a right handers back hand so there was no confusion. I actually throw left handed backhand and the disk all veer to the right. I wasnt sure if it mattered, i just tried to convert it so it didnt cause much confusion as i realize there are not many lefties here. So i throw LHBH, and the disk all go to the right, i would say immediately, not due to a fade, but just fly out straight and to the right pretty much after a 10 - 15 foot distance. My other disk, fairway drivers etc. are pretty much spot on, so something im doing with these 0 /0 disk is not right. The Ruin putter is ok unless my putt is longer than 10 ft, then its way off to the right. As of now , the Mako 3 is unusable until i fix something . Thanks for the kelp.

I would take a video of you throwing and take a look at your release angle.

I've coached many a player, myself included, that would swear they were releasing on hyzer, anhyzer, flat, etc., but once on tape quickly realized their feelings were deceiving them. I wouldn't be surprised if you were releasing things on a hyzer, resulting in them not turning.

Don't know what fairway drivers you're throwing, but if it's something like an FD, or leopard, or other understable fairway, they might flip up from a hyzer, when a mako3 would be hesitant to turn at all, resulting in it simply holding the hyzer line to the ground and veering (for you) to the right.

A time honored quote; "Inside the circle, (30ft) a putter's a putter." The problem you're experiencing at the distance you're stating is more likely you than any disc. Just a wild guess but it sounds like you might be trying to land the disc in the basket rather than using the chains. (I call it wuss putting and at one time or another most everyone does it.) HTH

I'm a newb and got a Mako3 as a freebie. I suspect you are a little nose up on release and running out of spin. I bet changing that nose angle will change the way you think about the disk.

One thing I had to learn was '0' fade means "least amount" - it doesn't mean none at all (right off the shelf, anyway).

Putter: Dynamic Discs Deputy
Mid: Discraft Stratus

These FLY as very straight discs with low arm speed. Also, the higher the shot, the more fade for any disc. Flat release and low trajectory are your friend for straight shots.

Wow , all great advice, I appreciate it, i will try many of your suggestions !! Im still looking for a good disc match for me, its not easy to find really.

This thread comes at a perfect time, I was just texting a buddy 2 days ago about this very thing, we both picked up Mako3's early on after we started (I throw LHBH also) the disc just seemed so touchy to me, first it would veer right, then the next shot it would fly straight but still fade hard right at the end just like a buzzz or wasp. I was only throwing it around 175-200' maybe and figured if it couldn't even handle my weak power it would never be useful to me later on.....Boy was I wrong. I've been working on my form and practicing for the last 2 years now and recently started throwing the mako3 a bit more often again. It flies dead straight now and rarely does anything other than fly exactly where I point it. I had a good chuckle about that the other day when I decided to see how far I could throw it and wound up pushing it 294'! I had to text my buddy so we could laugh about how much the archer matters more than the arrow.

TLDR: Don't count the disc out, Try to video yourself, ask for advice and help in the form section, this page is full of knowledgeable folks that are more than willing to donate their time to helping you get better. Good luck on your quest for a laser straight disc! I think it's one of the finest shots to throw.

Lol....there are no straight discs. They all have fade. Learning to throw a hard, low, straight shot is the most difficult shot in the game. It is most easily accomplished with putters, then mids...

It is about release angle, height of the throw, nose angle, release point and a host of additional variables. Practice man, practice. I normally suggest a neutral mid, like a Comet to start learning all of the above.

Thank you, can you mention any obvious changes you made to start to get it to work for you. I plan to practice with it today more. So any quick advice is appreciated. It seem to only fly straight if im in a relatively extreme anyhzer, almost an unbalanced one. Thanks !!

I have a fair amount of experience with the Mako3. It is a very neutral disc. As others have mentioned, it will go where you're throwing it. If it is hyzering out on you you are either throwing it on hyzer or maybe nose up. If you can learn to control that Mako3 it will do wonderful things and really improve your shots with every disc you throw. It really does require a clean, smooth form to really control it though.

Good luck.

I can't make a Mako3 hold a hyzer or anhyzer, it always flattens out mid flight.

I think what is going on is that any disc, based on clockwise or counter-clockwise rotation, will fall left or right depending when it stops spinning. Question is, how far from the ground is the disc when it stops spinning. If it is 2 ft from the ground when the spinning slows you won't detect much fade. If it is 15 ft from the ground when the spinning slows, it's going to dump out pretty hard. This is where is suspect the issue is.

Have you had a lesson? If not, I would definitely find a local pro/very experienced person to teach you and to review your form. I've been mainly forehand (RHFH) due to my backhand being extremely dangerous to those around me. I got the nickname 'Wild Bill' due to my backhand and my common throws were to my right or behind me.

I got one lesson (so far) with a local pro and my backhands now go forward. I still have a few that go slightly right or left...but I now know what my issue is. My 'misses' are caused by my foot placement. If my plant foot is inline with my back foot, I miss right, if there is too big of a gap between my feet (toe of back foot not lined up with the heel of my front foot) I miss left. If my plant foot is too far in front (towards the target) of my back foot...I miss right. My point is.... something as small as foot placement can make a big difference.

Maybe you think you are throwing the disc flat, but actually letting it go on an angle. You will have a hard time figuring that out by yourself, but someone else watching may catch it. As suggested, you can video yourself and post it here...there's lots of folks who will give you feedback (there's also a section here for Form review).

So i throw LHBH said:
If you are throwing LHBH and the disc is moving strongly right in the 1st 15 feet, I would be very tempted to suspect your grip, it sounds like it is slipping out of your hand.

It could be an issue with nose angle or release angle, but I would be tempted, due to the short length to suspect grip.

Are you holding your putter / mid differently than you are your driver?

Many(myself included) often use different, more open grips with slower discs.

If you are using a grip where your fingers are spread across the bottom plate of the disc, it is easy to lose those at the wrong time in the swing which would result in a disc going right very quickly.

Just to be clear, fan grip (where you spread your fingers across the bottom plate) is a good grip; and one that I use. But like anything else, it takes some work to get it right.