• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DiscGolfer Magazine

chainmonkey

Par Member
Has anybody received any other issue of this years magazine other than Spring? That is the only issue I have received I emailed them and never received a reply.

I have a Summer 2010. I may have others but I never open them, or the gaming mags i get or even the video games i buy on release date.

Man I got 2 this year and it's old news that i seen online !!!!!! Why kill a tree for year old news !!!!

So yeah, DiscGolfer mag will now become:
1. National Tour Preview Mag
2. Worlds Preview Mag
3. Worlds recap mag
4. Winter golf- offseason mag.

All with old news by the time it gets to you. No longer do they post tourney results (maybe not neded, since you can see this online, but it's still cool to see your name in print).

At least we are getting what is promised now, unlike Flying Disc, which promised way more than they could deliever.

I like the mag, usually read it the day I get it. Maybe as the sport grows we'll be able to take bigger steps.

I just wish there was a better online magazine style disc golf website, like 1000rated.com was for the few months that it was up and going. It was so cool to have up to date stuff, and really good articles and interviews. They looked promising, but I'm sure in a sport like disc golf, it takes a lot of dedication and willingness to provide without much of anything in return, or losing money, to keep up with something like that.

I think we'll be there in a few more years, especially with the accelerated ease of social media online.

I've offered to write articles for each issue. They used one of my articles in the 2009 fall issue.

I think there needs to be more articles on growing the sport in your community, how to run a stronger tournament and how to get sponsor dollars. Those are all things local clubs could use to help them in their communities.

I just wish there was a better online magazine style disc golf website, like 1000rated.com was for the few months that it was up and going. It was so cool to have up to date stuff, and really good articles and interviews. They looked promising, but I'm sure in a sport like disc golf, it takes a lot of dedication and willingness to provide without much of anything in return, or losing money, to keep up with something like that.

AceRunners.com isn't exactly the same thing, but seems to be heading in that general direction.

I've offered to write articles for each issue. They used one of my articles in the 2009 fall issue.

I think there needs to be more articles on growing the sport in your community, how to run a stronger tournament and how to get sponsor dollars. Those are all things local clubs could use to help them in their communities.

Yes tournament and event FAQs and idea articles would be an excellent source and resource.

Couldn't agree more; the magazines have always been WAY too focused on the PDGA tour and top pros. Over the decades, I have sent e-mail requests and in some cases personally talked to publishers from every single disc golf magazine:

Disc Golf World News - Rick Rothstein
Disc Golf Magazine - Dave Hendrickson
Flying Disc Magazine - Rich Givens
Discgolfer Magazine - Rick Rothstein again

and request that they write more articles about courses, clubs, equipment, marketing, course installation and other facets of disc golf which DO NOT include the PDGA Tour. Tom Schlueter of Disc Golf Journal, which was published from 1992 - 1999, seemed to be the only one who really got it. When you buy a ball golf magazine, you'll notice that they rarely spend more than a few pages on the PGA Tour. I firmly believe that our magazine should follow suit.

I personally spoke with the new editor of Discgolfer Magazine, Randy Michael Signor, at Pro Worlds 2010 in Indiana last week and I hope that we get a magazine in the future that comprehensively focuses on the entire sport of disc golf. It's called Discgolfer Magazine, not Disc Golf Touring Pro Magazine. :D

I am no expert by any means but I work hard on getting sponsor dollars and on getting tourism grants. I've done fairly well raising over 20-thousand dollars in a smaller community for tournaments and course development. I just think what worked and what didn't with businesses and governmental bodies could make several decent articles over time.

I think one of the problems in the leadership in the PDGA is focused on trying to market their sport and marketing their sport means marketing the top players that travel. They don't realize that no real non players will ever read a disc golf publication.

Latest posts